News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OPINION ON STOCK 318

Started by ALBSURE1091, March 27, 2018, 02:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALBSURE1091

Hello all, I have an all original 69 with the 318 2bbl 904 tranny set up. The 318 has 109k original miles and never been opened. I still have to add lead to the fuel. She's getting tired and a rebuild is in the near future. Now do I stick with the factory 318 engine or go with a big block 383 or 440 set up? Obviously as far as money goes it would cost less rebuilding the 318 since I already have the engine. If I go 383 or 440 I would have to source both the engine and tranny since my 904 will not bolt up. Just curious what you would do if in my situation. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

John_Kunkel

Changing from a SB to a BB is fairly costly, not only the engine/trans but the mounts, radiator, exhaust and, possibly, the rear end. Only you can decided if the cost is worth it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JB400

Depends on how you enjoy your car.  If all you do is cruise it, I'd stick with the 318.  However, if you'd like to do some drag racing or just a little bit more spirited driving, then I'd upgrade.  If you do upgrade, you should be able to get a return in investment when you go to sell it.

E5 Charger

Another option is rebuilding the 318 with a stroker kit. Have a look through the Proven Engine combos, in the Engine section. Especially this one "http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,283.0.html". A good read, but too bad the photos aren't showing.

Alaskan_TA

One of my cars still has the original 318 with under 40K miles. I have no plans to ever modify it, it drives awesome just as it is.

A pal has a very well built 318 & it is a beast.

Nothing wrong with a 318.

ALBSURE1091

Thanks for the input guys! I know you can build a 318 as fast as a big block if you want.

Ghoste

If you aren't concerned about going fast, then stay with it.  There's a reason it was the primary corporate engine for Chrysler for so many years across so many vehicles.  It is the best standard duty engine of all time perhaps.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70 sublime

Going to a big block you will want to change torsion bars and bigger brakes on the car also

Think if I was happy with 318 would look around and find a 360 to drop in its place
Less down time then waiting for a rebuild of what is in the car now
A little more zip and everything still fits
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

ALBSURE1091

Budget wise it just makes sense to stick with the original 318. She's still running good but just a little tired. Definitely will get another season out of her. Plus it's just so pretty!
Thanks for all the input everyone

Mike DC

Small block 'core' engines are cheap.  For a few hundred bucks you could get another engine to overhaul at your leisure while the car is still running fine.  Do the swap when you've got it all rebuilt & ready.

Use another 318 or find a 360.  Either way it's hard to go wrong with a 4" stroker crank setup.  It's hardly more than redoing the stock displacement, and larger displacement is the best deal in real-world streetable power.   

c00nhunterjoe

Go to a junkyard, snag a 360 for 200 bucks, 4" stroker kit to a 408 for 1800 bucks, buy a GOOD set of heads, and hello 10 second small block....

Charger-Bodie

rebuild the 318 to stock. very trouble free and its not like they were total dogs anyway.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

c00nhunterjoe

When assembled properly, they are all trouble free.  :cheers:

Rolling_Thunder

honestly...     my 68 came with a 318...   then i put in a Magnum 360 mopar crate, then a 383, then a 440, then a 512, and finally with my 6.1....        I do really miss the 318 on some days.  Simple, clean, completely stock. The only issue that engine ever gave me was the only aftermarket piece failed (mallory dizzy) - but then it needed a rebuild (thrust bearing was gone) and decided to do a 360 swap (was my daily driver) --- 

If i had a 318 car now I would honestly just rebuild it
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

It would be nice to have "fun" one with with high performance and a nice reliable 318 car that you can drive everyday.

ALBSURE1091

I've decided to stick with the stock engine. Just too much involved to swap to big block not to mention the cost would be more than double. I'm confident in my ability to remove my engine have it rebuilt and re-install it. I would definitely need some help to go big block with all that is involved in making that swap.

Montclaire

Do a basic rebuild on what you have.  I'd upgrade to a small 4bbl and intake, it won't break the 904.  You could also slam in a stock 340 cam if the 318 one is tired.

Vegas_Nick

One other option, is go with the newer 5.2 or 5.9 magnum engine. They are a dime a dozen in the used/junkyard market. I have a row of the 5.9's in the garage and use them for my track day car. You wold only need to swap in an oil pan and timing cover to make it appear as an LA motor. They have a roller cam and are damn near indestructible. Either way you go, I would stay with the small block.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Montclaire on July 29, 2019, 09:24:04 PM
Do a basic rebuild on what you have.  I'd upgrade to a small 4bbl and intake, it won't break the 904.  You could also slam in a stock 340 cam if the 318 one is tired.

That’s what stock 71/72 Chargers ( and 70 Coronets ) got from assembly line in Venezuela but 727s. Plus “high compression” pistons. Engines came from México assemblied like that used on their 69/70 GTS Darts. Claimed to get 270 HP from it
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 28, 2018, 10:16:30 AM
Going to a big block you will want to change torsion bars and bigger brakes on the car also

Think if I was happy with 318 would look around and find a 360 to drop in its place
Less down time then waiting for a rebuild of what is in the car now
A little more zip and everything still fits

Yes and no.  Any old 50 year car should upgrade to front Disc Brakes.  Your 318 Torsion bars will be fine with a added big block. If you have an 8 3/4 rear end, your all set.

Polygon

Depends how much you drive it. Years ago, I had a 73 Challenger. I would get 21 mpg on my trips from FL to NY. My current Charger has a 408 Small block, 8mpg a rarely driven car,.

AND, the timing chain went at 130,000 in the 318 Challenger, bent valves. . So....replace that for sure.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page