News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keys

Started by Dano 1, April 02, 2018, 09:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

This may be a dumb newbie question but did 69's use difference keys for the doors and ignition? I only got one key with my car which works the doors/trunk locks just fine but the ignition will not turn. If they are supposed to be the same key then I just need to free up the ignition. If they are different keys, has anyone ever re-keyed their ignition to match the doors? Thanks!
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Alaskan_TA

The door keys match the ignition when the cars were new, but there has been plenty of time since then for people to swap parts.

You ignition switch will have a code on it & with that code a new key can be cut.

I have the stuff here to do it, so if you need one send me an email at sixpak340(insert at symbol here)att.net

Alaskan_TA

The trunk lock should be a different key (round head) but at least one aftermarket outfit sells a 'matched' kit so the truck lock matches the door & ignition keys.

It is possible someone bought one of those kits & did not swap the matching ignition cylinder in.

Dano 1

That's great info, thanks! I just realized I spoke too soon on the trunk lock, the car was partially stripped for paint so the trunk lock isn't on the car but I did find it so I'll check the key I have.

Do you know if the existing ignition switch could be re-keyed to match my key, as opposed to cutting a new ignition-only key? Worst case I'll pull the ignition barrel and have you make me a new ignition key  ;)

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Dano 1 on April 02, 2018, 09:43:03 AM
This may be a dumb newbie question but did 69's use difference keys for the doors and ignition?

yes is a dumb question!

LOL j/k

as mentioned, doors and ign are the same, then trunk is matched with glovebox and console ( if keyed equipped )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mopar0166

I actally have three keys,  doors/ignition(penstar key), trunk(round key), glove box/console (small round key)

Dano 1

Thanks for the info everyone! I found my trunk lock and confirmed the key I have (Pentastar) does not work which aligns with what everyone has said. It also should mean that the car has not be re-keyed although it still seems odd that the ignition would not work. I'll pull the ignition barrel and make sure it's not jammed or corroded, it sure feels like it 'wants' to turn but I'll see what the internals look like. Thanks again!

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

mopar0166

had a similar issue, with my original ign key.  one day it just started to lock up.  I replaced it with a nos ign switch I bought. 

birdsandbees

Gun oil is your friend..
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487