News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969-1970 Charger dash pad question

Started by Bad B-rad, April 02, 2018, 11:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

I have a question about the "cap" they sell to cover up cracked, dash pads.
I am fairly certain it just glues over the top of the original one.
How do they look?
Are they hard plastic(like a kick panel, or what a console is made out of) or soft like the dash pad?

My dash has two smaller cracks, and they are not the end of the world, I would like some photos or input on the dash caps they sell how they look, pro's/con's, VS just rocking the two small cracks mine has.
I would hate to glue on a dash pad, and have it look worse(IMO) then just leaving the original dash with its small cracks visible.

And I also have a question about the paint for the metal panel behind the dash pad, where is that sold at?
(Non gloss, factory colors)
Thanks in advance.

BLK 68 R/T

Well the 68 pad is different than the 69-70. Is the one you are looking at labelled as fitting 68-70? if so, I wouldn't imagine it will fit very well.

Nacho-RT74

hard ABS plastic... thin layer thought. I have installed couple on 3rd gens... one fit quite good, the other one not that good... diff manufacturers thought. Didn't like any of them anyway. IMHO, I'd sacrifice some bucks on the real deal. Specially because driving the car I enjoy the good interior conditions, since is where I "live" while driving ;)
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on April 02, 2018, 12:07:27 PM
Well the 68 pad is different than the 69-70.

didn't know... what's the difference ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Bad B-rad

I saw the product listed in classic industries book, but they didn't have any photos, I was thinking it was almost a copy of the original, and it would be a nice option, but it sounds like in my case, with only two small blemishes I may just deal with it.
I also didnt notice untill black 68 R/T posted, but they are broken up into 68 and then 69-70, types.

When you have a new dash pad installed, or yours repaired, what do you do with the Vin?
Drill it out and keep it, to install on the new dash when it arrives?

BLK 68 R/T

The vin is not on the pad on the 68-70 charger, or any 68-70 b body for that matter. When they are installed on the dash pad, yes you just drill the rivets out and install it on a new pad or your recovered one. You can buy the special rivets and dry transfer decal.

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 02, 2018, 01:38:33 PM

The 68 is more flat and comes to a point in the middle. 69-70 is thicker and has more of a rounded shape to it.

Bad B-rad

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on April 02, 2018, 02:21:50 PM
The vin is not on the pad on the 68-70 charger, or any 68-70 b body for that matter. When they are installed on the dash pad, yes you just drill the rivets out and install it on a new pad or your recovered one. You can buy the special rivets and dry transfer decal.

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 02, 2018, 01:38:33 PM

The 68 is more flat and comes to a point in the middle. 69-70 is thicker and has more of a rounded shape to it.

I was under the impression, the top of the dash(the soft pad, and the hard metal top  that goes to the windsheild,and the vin on it) were all one part?

That to have a pad repaired you had to sent them that part?
I may be wrong, thats just what I had thought that the dash pad and top was one unit.

That would make life a bit easier, I could just service the pad, and touch up the metal part, on my own.

BLK 68 R/T

They are separate. Look at the backside of the pad from behind the dash frame and you will see the studs that mount the pad to the frame. Think there are 5 or 6 studs, can't remember for sure.

Bad B-rad

OK cool, Thanks!!!!
My car is still all together, well except the carpet and front seats.
Good deal, I was  worried about having to mess with the vin!!!!

So if thats the case then the pad be swaped with the front windsheild installed?

I have a small crack in the front windsheild, VERY SMALL, I was going to have front window replaced right before I had the vinyl top done, and figured i would re-paint the top of the dash at the same time.

BLK 68 R/T

It is able to be changed with the dash installed, although its not the easiest to do. If you pull the dash cluster, radio and glovebox it makes it easier.

Bad B-rad

It sounds like a no go on the cap for me given the small damage mine has.
I will rock the orignial one untill cash will allow, a repo dash pad.
And how do the repos look?
Just as good as the original?
An excact match or just a close match?

mopar0166

The dash pad is so small, I made repairs myself and it turned out better then I had hoped.  Its now been three years and you cant see where the cracks were etc.  I didn't want to put a cover on mine nor spend the money on a new one. 

As for the trans am I'm working on, that received a full cover and worked out great.     

Just my  :Twocents:

Good luck

birdsandbees

Good luck on the repro. Read my thread and you'll see how that went. The cheaper incorrect shape detail off shores have the correct grain and the high priced Legendary's have the details and ZERO grain! I'd really like to learn where the concurs guys are getting theirs...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Bad B-rad

Mopar0166 how did you do your repairs?
Mine looks like the small split could be crazy glued and that would take care of the small crack.(I do not think the crazy glue would hold up over time.
And the larger crack id right before thr heat.defrost A/C controls on the ld=ft of them that one is a bit larger, and may need a touch of something to fill it in a bit.

If the repos are off, I am def just gonna rock the original pad with the 2 blemishes.

Are the upper door pads reproduced correctly?
Because those on mine are dried out and cracked/shrunk, fairly bad.

mopar0166

I'm not sure if I got the info on this forum or another.   I had 4 cracks that basically went back to forward.   so while I had it out to do other repairs, decided to try and fix it.  what could it hurt.  The process I found was to use a small die grinding tip and make a v shape cut out in dash. Once that is cleaned out you can use an aerosol foam, I would basically fill the gap and then compress it.  if more was needed then it was topped off and left alone to cure.  If I remember right I put a flexible epoxy on top of it after it was faired down to the desired level and shape.  I then took it a step further and used a flexible bondo( cant remember the product name) and applied that and sanded it down.  To finish I sanded the entire dash pad, cleaned it and primed it.  that is when you can look it over and see if you need more filler etc.    after that is done, I used an interior flexible paint as my finish coat. 

I took a chance on this process it worked well for me.  think I had 30 dollars into the repair when done. 

good luck with yours  :cheers: