News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Performance intake that fits under the hood?

Started by rikubot, June 14, 2018, 01:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hello, today is a simple one. Ive got a 440 hp built to stock specs and I was looking to get a more performance aluminum intake for some weight reduction and better flow. I will eventually slap an FiTech on top of it so keep that in mind. Aaaaaand GO!
Thanks in advance.
-Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

timmycharger

Can the FiTech work with an Edelbrock RPM? I honestly have no idea but I ran that intake with a drop base air cleaner on my 68 before going to the six pack. 

rikubot

I'm not sure if it can or not. I assumed because I heard that it's the exact same thing as a traditional carb other than being more efficient and consistent. I also should have mentioned that I'd like to keep my factory style cleaner. Think I could get a drop vase for that one?
'69 Charger, 440/727

Brass

Maybe this is no longer the case and someone will set me straight if so, but I have gleaned that TB EFI tends to work better with single plane intakes.  A Holley Street Dominator will fit under the hood.  Not sure about any others.  If you want to stick with dual planes, a CH4B will fit.  So will an Edelbrock Performer RPM (also dual plane) with a drop base and some modification to the linkage.  Or so I hear.

justcruisin

I have only had experience with TBI systems with two engines with DP manifolds and both had problems with stumbling and surging at certain rpm's. If I was to fit a TBI system on a  BB with a stock hood I would go with the Holley SD.

c00nhunterjoe

Single planes- origonal torker, torker 2, street dominator. Dual planes- 4b, performer, performer rpm, indy 2d. All fit stock hoods. There are others, but those are the most popular. Of the single planes on a stock build- origonal torker would be my choice.

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: justcruisin on June 14, 2018, 03:03:08 PM
I have only had experience with TBI systems with two engines with DP manifolds and both had problems with stumbling and surging at certain rpm's. If I was to fit a TBI system on a  BB with a stock hood I would go with the Holley SD.

Did either dual plane manifold have the plenum divider cut down any, or have a 'window' cast into the divider?

303 Mopar

I picked a Street Dominator because I knew I was eventually going to EFI.  I have a 3" air cleaner with a drop base and it barely clears the hood according to my Play-Doh test. It ran great with a Proform 850 carb mostly street and light to light fun. I just switched to the Sniper EFI and it still runs great!
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

justcruisin

The manifold was an RPM but on a 360 small block so the divider was not open like the BB version. The car belongs to a friend and he did cut the divider down but it didn't cure the problem, just shifted the rpm at the point it had a surge,( MSD atomic) The other was not a mopar.

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: justcruisin on June 14, 2018, 07:43:07 PM
The manifold was an RPM but on a 360 small block so the divider was not open like the BB version. The car belongs to a friend and he did cut the divider down but it didn't cure the problem, just shifted the rpm at the point it had a surge,( MSD atomic) The other was not a mopar.

Thanks. Street Dominator sounds like the ticket here then.