News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Willomet Charger

Started by Willomet_Motor_and_Fab, July 09, 2018, 04:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willomet_Motor_and_Fab

Quote from: 68pplcharger on July 23, 2018, 11:51:22 AM
I set mine up for road racing/autocross as well. I've got 315-35-17 tires in the back. I fit them into the stock wheel wells with some messaging of the outer wheel well. You can go larger if you take the lip down or roll it. Front I fit 275-40-17 but had to flare the fender by two inches and roll the lip. Car handles pretty awesome.
Good notes - appreciate that. I’ve about got my mind right about needing to flare the front to clear the 305, and whatever I do for the rear would be mostly cosmetic to match the front. I’m 99% committed to USCT mini tubs in the rear.

I keep looking at the K&K Insurance Chargers for inspiration.

David

jwells1993

keep on keepin on

Willomet_Motor_and_Fab

Quote from: jwells1993 on July 24, 2018, 02:40:23 PM
awesome build so far
Thank you.

Outer plates are in process of getting tacked, and the interior plates will follow shortly after.  No more clecos.

David

Willomet_Motor_and_Fab

Just catching up progress.

Front frame rails are just about fully welded.  These will get blended and corners rounded.  Inside:

Driver outside overlay after wire-wheeling:

And a parting shot, all cleaned up.

Lots of hours on this sub-project, and I'm idling the Charger for a few weeks as I prepare my suburban for its next adventure.  I'll pick this back up after SEMA.

David

68pplcharger

Well it will be ready for a 2,500 hp monster when you're finished.  :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Willomet_Motor_and_Fab

The Trail to SEMA is done (episodes start airing 12/12), and I'm back on the Charger.

The passenger rail is welded and blended. I spent Saturday dialing in the welder, and getting back in the groove. It's been 4 weeks since I've struck an arc.

And then there's this. Working with some new contacts and partners I met at SEMA, there's a real possibility I'll be able to push the engine back a significant amount. In addition to recentering from the factory position, the weight balance should be much more favorable.

I've been working on a revised plan for the rear chassis and the front suspension, and hope to have some clear updates on that in the next couple of weeks. Again, I've learned a lot in the last few weeks, and it's better informed my approach to the suspension design.

In the meantime, I'm working the litany of open detail fab projects - firewall, finish weld and blend the rockers, etc.

David

slantscamp

Oh man. LS power. This just got even better. Brace yourself for all the hate, but keep up all the good work brother.

Mike DC

No LS hate here.  

This project car is being built for handling.  We're hitting the 2020's and Mopar still won't mass-produce an aluminum V8 (around 90 lbs lighter weight on the front end).  

Mopar is 25 years behind everyone else on this.  If Ford's engines had been 25 years behind the times in the muscle era, they would have been selling Boss Mustangs with flathead V8s.  

cdr

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 13, 2018, 10:21:10 PM

No LS hate here.  

This project car is being built for handling.  We're hitting the 2020's and Mopar still won't mass-produce an aluminum V8 (around 90 lbs lighter weight on the front end).  

Mopar is 25 years behind everyone else on this.  If Ford's engines had been 25 years behind the times in the muscle era, they would have been selling Boss Mustangs with flathead V8s.  

Really , the Hellephant crate engine is 25 years behind

Mopar is bringing back the "426" moniker on its next 1,000-hp crate engine. Yup, you read that right: The Hellephant, a play on the fact that the old 426 Hemi was called the elephant engine, will hit four digits for horsepower and bring along 950 lb-ft of torque. It was introduced today at the Las Vegas SEMA Show. Mopar actually installed the new powerplant in a '68 Charger it's calling the "Super Charger." It goes on sale in the first quarter of next year.

The supercharged 7.0-liter (426-cubic-inch) V8 gains displacement through a bigger bore and stroke (4.125 x 4.0) and the block is all aluminum, as opposed to the Hellcat motor's cast-iron lower end.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/sema-show/mopar-breaks-1000-hp-barrier-hellephant-hemi-crate-engine#ixzz5Zd8KqIze
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

JB400

I doubt that I'll be seeing the hellephant in a mass produced Charger, Durango, Jeep, or any other production based vehicle anytime soon.  Ls's are in practically everything now that isn't a cheap econo vehicle.

Mike DC

To find an affordable alloy V8 for a project car:

Chevy:  pick-n-pull

Ford:  pick-n-pull

BMW:  pick-n-pull

Toyota:  pick-n-pull

Rover:  pick-n-pull

Mopar:  $5000 aftermarket block

Yes, Mopar is behind on this.

6pkrtse

Awesome build & some trick work . And I thought I was be tricky by hiding 2"X3" box tubing inside my Challenger rockers panels & tieing into the front rear sub frames. Had me until I saw LS powered , lost all interest in this build now.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

alfaitalia

No "hate" from me....but as said above....it takes the wind out of the sales of a great project to me....just my point of view of course. Helliphant/ Hellcat aside there are plenty of ways of getting Mopar power under that bonnet....even if its from elsewhere in the Mopar family....
....still amazing fabrication work though.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

INTMD8

Nice work!!   :2thumbs:

Lots of extra steel being put into this car, rigidity should not be a problem!

That being said I share the sentiment of some of the others. (and I work for an LS speed shop)  Would love to see at least a modern Hemi in this instead of the LS.   Don't think she will be a lightweight either way.

That and your truck LS looks like it's an iron block anyway (unless that's just for mock up)
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Alaskan_TA

Just another Charger at SEMA with a Chevy engine............  :scratchchin:

How many times has that been done?  :eek2:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on December 14, 2018, 09:25:21 PM

Yup. Just like a hot rod with 350/350 ford 9 inch.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

nvrbdn

Wow, there is an insane amount of welding going into that frame. Awesome work. Great fabrication. Fun to see it all come together.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Willomet_Motor_and_Fab

I was out of the shop for a few days hunting some Texas white tails, and I see there's a little bit for me to catch up on.

Quote from: TexasGeneral on December 12, 2018, 02:01:24 AM
:popcrn:
Sit tight!  This is my main focus for 2019.

Quote from: slantscamp on December 13, 2018, 08:12:28 PM
Oh man. LS power. This just got even better. Brace yourself for all the hate, but keep up all the good work brother.
There's a whole story on how I got the engine, but it doesn't matter.  It's a compact and efficient platform that is simple to setup, and generates sufficient torque and horsepower for the application.  Currently, the iron block is a mockup and likely the Rev0 engine, while an aluminum block will be the Rev1.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 13, 2018, 10:21:10 PMNo LS hate here.  
Me either!  As I've gotten older, I've become substantially less brand loyal.  This was never going to be a restoration, so there were no rules to follow.

Quote from: JB400 on December 14, 2018, 08:39:55 AM
I doubt that I'll be seeing the hellephant in a mass produced Charger, Durango, Jeep, or any other production based vehicle anytime soon.
That's in line with the discussion at SEMA.  Cool engine, and I'd enjoy running it, but it's way out of my league cost-wise.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 14, 2018, 10:16:11 AM

To find an affordable alloy V8 for a project car:

Chevy:  pick-n-pull

Ford:  pick-n-pull

BMW:  pick-n-pull

Toyota:  pick-n-pull

Rover:  pick-n-pull

Mopar:  $5000 aftermarket block

Yes, Mopar is behind on this.
That seems about right.  My LQ4 was essentially free (traded work).

Quote from: 6pkrtse on December 14, 2018, 12:20:24 PM
Awesome build & some trick work . And I though I was be tricky by hiding 2"X3" box tubing inside my Challenger rockers panels & tieing into the front rear sub frames. Had me until I saw LS powered , lost all interest in this build now.
I love that solution.  Very clever for those with still-solid rockers.  I'm sorry you've lost interest, and would still appreciate any additional insight you might have as the build progresses.

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on December 14, 2018, 09:25:21 PM

I would love to have this car at SEMA - it would be great for the business.  And while I've seen a bunch of LS-powered things, I can't recall seeing a mid-front engine pro-touring LS Charger on 305/325 rubber.  (Without a hint of sarcasm) I might have missed it, but I think this car would be unique.

Quote from: INTMD8 on December 14, 2018, 08:56:26 PM
Nice work!!   :2thumbs:

Lots of extra steel being put into this car, rigidity should not be a problem!

That being said I share the sentiment of some of the others. (and I work for an LS speed shop)  Would love to see at least a modern Hemi in this instead of the LS.   Don't think she will be a lightweight either way.

That and your truck LS looks like it's an iron block anyway (unless that's just for mock up)
Lots of steel for sure, and I'm working to keep the weight add to a minimum.  Total add should be 175-250lbs over the stock unibody.  The iron block is a Rev0, and I'll move to alloy at the next revision.

Quote from: alfaitalia on December 14, 2018, 06:18:51 PM
No "hate" from me....but as said above....it takes the wind out of the sales of a great project to me....just my point of view of course. Helliphant/ Hellcat aside there are plenty of ways of getting Mopar power under that bonnet....even if its from elsewhere in the Mopar family....
....still amazing fabrication work though.
Appreciate the feedback, and I understand the sentiment of prefering a mopar engine.  Since it came with no engine, I've been starting from relative scratch on the power platform, and have found myself quite comfortable in the "there are no rules" camp.  Part of it is my exposure to LS things, but that platform also satisfies a series of requirements that a new hemi cannot, and space efficiency is the most obvious of those criteria.  There are also some partners that are very LS-focused and are actively supporting the engine program, but that came second.

Quote from: Homerr on December 16, 2018, 11:38:45 AM

I got a great chuckle out of this.  Best reply, ever.

Quote from: nvrbdn on December 16, 2018, 12:31:30 PM
Wow, there is an insane amount of welding going into that frame. Awesome work. Great fabrication. Fun to see it all come together.
Thank you, sir.  I'm excited to be back working on it regularly.

Again, next up are closing several fabrication tasks in preparation for a new rear chassis and front suspension.  Lots to do.

David

Willomet_Motor_and_Fab

Happy new year.  Let's catch up.

The torque boxes are expanded slightly, and taper down to interface with the inner chassis supports.  This is all .075" 14ga, as there's already plenty of 1/8" in the rockers and torque boxes.

Closed in, and I'm holding off on welding and blending until I get the inner chassis members measured, tacked, and ready.

A good view of my office for the last few days.

Before I can measure for the inner chassis members, or even the rear suspension, the engine and trans have to be placed.

As we looked at earlier, the engine needs a deep setback to achieve the desired weight balance.  It may come forward an inch or two from this position, but the shifter location is already close to ideal (for me).

The assembly is offset to the passenger side by 1/2".

Next up: fabricating the inner chassis members and motor and transmission mounts.

David

Challenger340

The LS Engines, and the aftermarket performance parts availability for them, are BOTH excellent  :2thumbs:  Good Choice for this type of project  :Twocents:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

mike69440

Quote from: Lennard on July 12, 2018, 01:11:04 PM
That's going to be a rigid and BEEFY Charger. :thumbs:

Excellent Chassis work!  I like what you did for the torque box.

One question,
The engine Craddle/ K-Frame.

Why such a heavy fabrication and not a Tubular K-Frame, either aftermarket or of your own design?   

Willomet_Motor_and_Fab

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 01, 2019, 04:34:13 PM
The LS Engines, and the aftermarket performance parts availability for them, are BOTH excellent  :2thumbs:  Good Choice for this type of project  :Twocents:
I've learned a lot about them in a short period of time, and I'm excited to get it fired and make some power.  Right now, it's all vroom vroom noises from me.  I may just run it on the regular LQ4 low compression boring junk for shakedown of the suspension, and make the engine build something all its own.

Quote from: mike69440 on January 02, 2019, 08:50:40 AM
Quote from: Lennard on July 12, 2018, 01:11:04 PM
That's going to be a rigid and BEEFY Charger. :thumbs:

Excellent Chassis work!  I like what you did for the torque box.

One question,
The engine Craddle/ K-Frame.

Why such a heavy fabrication and not a Tubular K-Frame, either aftermarket or of your own design?   
Thanks!  That K member is the Magnum Force Transformer unit, and it is super heavy duty.  At 3/16", it's overbuilt for sure, and is a very good universal design.  It will very likely be replaced with a new design I'm working on that is substantially lighter, and I'm looking forward to pulling that weight off the front of the car.

David