News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you ever think about how different it is to drive our cars vs new cars?

Started by green69rt, August 07, 2018, 11:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I was having a discussion with some friends the other days as we were looking over our car and this came up.  And they said it shouldn't be any different.  I replyed "maybe several differences".   My Charger is about 17 ft long with a long hood and long nose over hang.  Even though my pickup is 17 ft long, the hood is really short and my wife's Acura is shorter with a short hood.   I can see myself driving my Charger and forgetting about that looong hood.  Also the sides stick out (car is 10" wider) unlike the Acura which has straight up and down sides.  I would say this is true in general on new cars.

So I can see that I'm going to have to adjust my thoughts on how much clearance at the sides and how much space in front.  Then, maybe, there's the longer turning radius, longer stopping distance, etc.

This is not to mention all the rubberneckers gawking at my car, forgetting to drive and running into me.

You folks ever think about this?

c00nhunterjoe

Best comparison to a 69 charger would be a modern lx platform. Take my 07 charger rt that i had. Its essentially the same wheelbase, they weigh the same, and have similar stock performance numbers. But when you start factoring in the technology is where it gets different. A 400hp 5.7 hemi is a totaly different animal from a 400hp 383. The 727 vs a nag1 is night and day as well. Then talk about the mercedes suspension crammed under the early lxs vs 1960s and youve get a real eye opener. And this is all before we talk about the bells and whistles.

John_Kunkel

Yep, my daily driver is an LX and it's a totally different animal than my "old cars". I wouldn't want to have any of my old cars as a daily driver; it's kinda like the old saying...."nice place to visit but I wouldn't wanna live there".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RECHRGD

The only thing I do differently is to be more aware of the cars around me.  It's the "gawkers " that have created more close calls than anything else over the years.  People seem to have a need to pass me more when I'm in the Charger than normally.  Tailgating by "fast and furious" wannabes and climate change activists can be distracting also.....
13.53 @ 105.32

cdr

I drive my 68 ALL over the place & the gawkers are the scary part, they turn their head to look at the car while going 70 mph, their hands on the steering wheel follow their eyes & run you off the road, LOOK out it dangerous out there.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

INTMD8

No concern to me. My previous 68 was a beautiful driving car.  Would have driven it anywhere.  I drive my 59 Cadillac everywhere too. If you're in the left lane passing everyone you don't get jammed up by the gawkers  :o

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

timmycharger

I think you have to be a bit more alert and aware when driving the old cars vs. new. Was just telling my daughter this a few weeks ago when she asked me how I am able to judge the nose of the car and the C pillar blind spot, and the fact that when the sun visor is down you have about 4 inches of visibility due to the dash LOL...

for someone who never drove one of these before, you can't just jump out of your Honda civic 5 speed and think you can be an instant expert.

What drives me crazy is if I am on a hill and stopped, I always have Ahole drivers who stop about an inch from my bumper. Being a 4 speed, there is always the risk of rolling back and I don't want to sit there and ride the clutch so I find myself using the parking brake or my line loc LOL.

When I am behind or in front of a classic, I like to give them more space having been in that spot..

DAY CLONA

Quote from: green69rt on August 07, 2018, 11:44:40 AM

You folks ever think about this?

No, any machine of conveyance has it's own nuances of operation, the only thing dictating any extraordinary diligence on one's behalf when driving a "high profile" vehicle is the human condition of others accompanied by texting, picture/video taking, and the geegaw brain dead individuals who need to ride on your bumper/or drive into you for a better look...

70 sublime

I like this one best  ;)

If you're in the left lane passing everyone you don't get jammed up by the gawkers  Shocked

I have a 1922 Model T that I drive now and then
Have not had it out for quite a few years
One time we were out for a drive in it and I had turned into a parking lot so I could head back the other way
While in the safe parking lot I saw a guy gawking at me driving down the road I had just turned off
Someone in front of him had stopped to make a left turn and he drove right into the back of the other car bang
Idiots everywhere so beware
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Alaskan_TA

I have driven mostly vintage Mopars, but have also driven small cars like a vintage Honda Civic & I also had an unlimited CDL, tankers, Haz-mat, tandem trailers, 72 passenger bus, 6x6 fire truck, snow plows, etc, etc.

With any ride, know your car / truck & situational awareness matters!

I do not think about driving new cars at all, they do not interest me.

Challenger340

Different genre and experience altogether in my opinion, dunno if you can really "compare" the two ?
Totally different feels, ride, sounds and smells.
Hands down in traffic, bumper to bumper and around town I'd take the my new stuff, but if I gotta drive 50 miles to town on the highway winding through the mountains at 65-70 mph, waaaay more fun in the R/T with the windows down, and, it's "passing" power at 65-70 mph is a far superior experience, the low-drone of the 4 BBL is pretty unique.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

Winding roads through the mountains at 65-70? I'd prefer my '08 Magnum RT with the A/C full blast and the Mygig Boston stereo hummin. Accelerates right along with the 440 Charger, starts right up hot or cold and idles smooth as glass with a little rumble.

cdr

Sorry John, but I would take & drive his 69 Black R/T SE over that magnum  on ANY type of road . any day, any way LOL, or my 68 that has AC :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

DAY CLONA

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 08, 2018, 01:43:07 PM
Winding roads through the mountains at 65-70? I'd prefer my '08 Magnum RT with the A/C full blast and the Mygig Boston stereo hummin. Accelerates right along with the 440 Charger, starts right up hot or cold and idles smooth as glass with a little rumble.

Only problem with "modern iron" like this is the mindless, numbed-down, boring ride where you need AC and a stereo to stimulate you, I'd rather wind around some canyon roads in vintage iron rowing thru the gears, hearing an awesome exhaust note at full blast, and multiple carbs sing their song, and honing my driving skills....

VegasCharger

Quote from: timmycharger on August 07, 2018, 12:53:29 PM
.....I always have Ahole drivers who stop about an inch from my bumper.....

Yeah, I don't get his Mike. What is it with idiots having to bury their front end into my rear bumper space. To the point where I can't see the hood of their car in my side view mirror. What does this prove??? Are your brakes that bad that you have to jack them at all stop lights nearly hitting the guy in front of you? When I approach a traffic light or stop sign with a car ahead of me, I leave at least a one car space cushion. Sometimes I'll get strange vibes thinking the people behind saying "Are you going to pull up into that dead space?"

stripedelete

Quote from: VegasCharger on August 08, 2018, 09:37:03 PM
Quote from: timmycharger on August 07, 2018, 12:53:29 PM
.....I always have Ahole drivers who stop about an inch from my bumper.....

Sometimes I'll get strange vibes thinking the people behind saying "Are you going to pull up into that dead space?"

Yes they are!   Sometime when you're in a line where the person behind you can't go around you (i.e. airport security), let the space in front front of you grow.   Even though it does not create delay,  it drives people nuts!

Challenger340

What model of 2nd Gen Charger do you have that you are comparing to John ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

I liked DRIVING my 07 rt through the windy hills at speed with the windows down and manually shifting the nag1, sliding the rear out drifting on command enjoying the powerfull roar through my catless ultraflows. Its a different animal then the 69. Both are fun through the curves. But the way you drive them is completly different. Long highway cruises the 07 wins with the 2.82 gears and steep overdrive. Add the mds and at 70 mph i got 30 mpg on vacation trips out of a 12 second 4500 pound car.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 08, 2018, 10:13:51 PM

What model of 2nd Gen Charger do you have that you are comparing to John ?

Any of them.

J-440

The one thing that pisses me off the most are the kids/millenials that film you while they are driving.  Not the passenger, but the dam driver has his phone out and making a stupid video so he can post it later.  A kid did this to me in his Neon while riding my ass.  People are getting dumber.  Reminds me of the first 5 minutes of the movie "Idiocracy". 
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

JR

The biggest comparison I make when I drive my car now is, I REALLY miss rack and pinion steering, like almost any other late model car has.

I've done a ton of suspension and chassis updates, and don't really miss anything there, but 50 year old steering boxes absolutely suck.

Mine is in good condition with no leaks or anything, I accept that's just how they were, but it's the worst part of driving a vintage Mopar to me. By far.

I may upgrade to a borgenson one day, but the reliability of them seems to be lacking. I would love a bolt on rack and pinion upgrade, but it seems like the only aftermarket attempt at one was terrible.

I really don't have any other complaints driving it vs. new cars though. Except for the no overdrive thing.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: JR on August 11, 2018, 01:31:09 PM
The biggest comparison I make when I drive my car now is, I REALLY miss rack and pinion steering, like almost any other late model car has.

I've done a ton of suspension and chassis updates, and don't really miss anything there, but 50 year old steering boxes absolutely suck.

Mine is in good condition with no leaks or anything, I accept that's just how they were, but it's the worst part of driving a vintage Mopar to me. By far.

I may upgrade to a borgenson one day, but the reliability of them seems to be lacking. I would love a bolt on rack and pinion upgrade, but it seems like the only aftermarket attempt at one was terrible.

I really don't have any other complaints driving it vs. new cars though. Except for the no overdrive thing.

I hear this horror story all the time. I have a stock manual box in mine and its rock solid at 130 mph, i hand for parking lot manuevers. Rebuild or replace what is worn out. Set the alignment for modern tires. It makes a new car.

John_Kunkel

Predictably reverting to the same argument as the "what your carb can do for you" thread. Old versus new and the diehards persist.  ::)

Mike DC

QuoteThe biggest comparison I make when I drive my car now is, I REALLY miss rack and pinion steering, like almost any other late model car has.

Have you added a few degrees of front end caster (aftermarket UCAs or offset bushings) in the alignment? 

That is what makes the steering pull itself back to center when you let go of the wheel while you're rolling.  It's not the steering gearbox itself. 

JR

Yup. I've got fully adjustible SPC upper control arms, a good alignment, nitto 555s, up sized front and rear sway bars, adjustable shocks, fresh steering column coupler, and more.

(Aside from the box) I'm happy with the handling and chassis now. it's predictable, and neutral in corners.

My box has been adjusted to get all the possible slack out, and doesn't leak or anything. It's in good condition.

But there's still that on center dead spot that every old Mopar ive ever driven has, almost no road feel, 16 to 1 gear ratio (?), and lack of communication to the front tires. I know about the modification to reduce power steering pressure, but I don't want to do that since I have alot of caster already and steering effort is already higher than normal.

If the aftermarket would come out with a bolt in subframe that kept the torsion bars, but allowed rack and pinion with no geometry issues,  I'd be perfectly happy.

I think I'm going to swap in a smaller diameter Nardi steering wheel, and weld up the kframe next and see what (perceived) improvement they make.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green