News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

More electrical fun...

Started by moparnole, September 05, 2018, 11:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnole

Hey guys, I posted a couple months back about the alternator putting out way too many volts (18) and how to remedy that. That has been fixed, however more things have occurred that hopefully you guys can impart some wisdom on. I found out that my brake lights were no longer working and upon checking the lights in the rear every one of them was blown when they had worked just before, those have since all been replaced and I now have blinker lights, and they are on when I have the lights on but still nothing when I give it brakes, I have replaced the brake switch and still nothing is happening, is it possible that something else could be fried that is causing there to be no brake lights?

70 sublime

Have you every replaced the turn signal switch in the steering column ?

The back brake lights go through the turn signal switch also

Do you know if they were working properly before you had any of the electrical problems ? 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

krops cars

Good call 70 sublime. Totally forgot about that.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: moparnole on September 05, 2018, 11:20:25 AM
I have replaced the brake switch and still nothing is happening,

Did you check to see if there is power at the brake light switch? (blown fuse?)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

moparnole

Thank you guys for the input! I have managed to buy the new turn signal switch and plan on installing that tomorrow. I will keep y'all updated and maybe it will work!

John_Kunkel

It's true that the brake lights pass through the TS switch when it's in the off position but they still originate at the brake light switch and, if there is no power at the switch, the lights won't work. Check for power at the BL switch before changing the TS switch.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Nacho-RT74

Up to 69, the brake lights run to hazzard switch first, then to column

Since 70 go straight to column
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html