News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Two signal/flasher issues. May be related.

Started by bull, September 15, 2018, 06:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

The other day I turned my flashers on and they just stayed on solid, no blinking. Could it just be the flasher relay?

And then today I noticed when I turned on my marker lights only the right turn signal was glowing dimly, also not flashing. I didn't check the back signal but the hood mounted signal stayed on dim and steady and so did the dash indicator. It didn't do it when I turned the switch all the way up and activated the headlights.

I haven't dug into it at all yet and I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas? Do you think these issues are related?

Nacho-RT74

1st deal--- yes, could be damaged flasher

2nd deal--- definitelly there is a ground deal somewhere. Begin to check on front parking lights... allong with flasher failure if they don't blink
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Sounds crazy but it might pay to pull all the globes except one known good globe and see if it flashes. I've had one bad globe cause funny issues before.

Next I would try the flasher cans followed by the grounds if they still don't work.

bull

Thanks. I do remember when I put the car together I was told to peen part of the front turn signal housing to the backing metal to get a good ground. Maybe that ground has been lost.

bull

That was it. I had to take the front turn signal housings out of the car and peen the light socket crimp to the housing with a chisel again. What I believe happens is that rust builds up between the socket and housing and the ground is lost. Smacking the socket flange with a chisel cuts through the rust and reconnects the ground.