News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater Core Bypass

Started by HeavyFuel, September 20, 2018, 04:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

I'm contemplating performing a bypass on the heater core, since I never drive in weather that requires heat or defrost.  It'll consist of simple heater hose loops under the hood at the firewall and water pump.  

Reasoning: preventive measure to eliminate an interior catastrophe created by a heater core leak.  

Is this advisable?  

The one downside I can think of:  The time rate of core corrosion may actually increase after the bypass due to air exposure and the lack of corrosion inhibiting coolant inside the core, increasing the chance of a leak if the core is ever hooked back up to the cooling system.  I guess another drawback is that it'll look kinda funky to a have a heater hose loop at the pump.

Thoughts?

(pic below has no bypass yet...just a visual reference)

XH29N0G

I think it can be done.  See what others say. 

I pulled my heater core and blocked the inlet and outlet on the water pump housing.  I did not see a problem and have not seen one so far.  I was a little worried that if I blocked it, I might mess up something that was required  by the engineering, but apparently that is OK. 

I suppose if someone knows otherwise, they will explain why this won't work.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

John_Kunkel

To avoid the goofy looking looped hose at the water pump housing, just remove the hose nipples (might not be easy) and install pipe plugs the way the factory did with the heater-delete cars.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

johnnycharger

Some people have just installed a $10 shut off valve on the inlet.

Brass

Quote from: johnnycharger on September 20, 2018, 05:48:52 PM
Some people have just installed a $10 shut off valve on the inlet.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 20, 2018, 05:36:21 PM
To avoid the goofy looking looped hose at the water pump housing, just remove the hose nipples (might not be easy) and install pipe plugs the way the factory did with the heater-delete cars.

I like this idea.  

Heater delete option.....seems weird.   Drag cars, I suppose?

Dino

When I got my car, the heater valve was leaking so the po did the loop thing. Eventually I stuck plugs in there to make it look less hillbilly. Got them at O'Reilly's I believe...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1st_charger

I have plugs in mine but I don't have the heater box in the car either. I made a block off plate to cover the fire wall opening. Looking at the pic you posted another way to go might be to have some round stock the same size as the heater hose fitting at the water pump threaded to use as plugs. Then you could slide your heater hose over them and put the clamps back on and your engine bay would still look clean, also might keep the air and other elements from getting to the inside of the core.

Nacho-RT74

My car assembled in Venezuela ( where usually never will need heater ) got water pump niples sealed from factory althought  the hoses and all the system attached to. 5 years ago decided to make it work just changing the niples with new pieces non sealed ones. It was the first time my car got water into the heater core. Just needed to rebuilt the valve because seals were damaged. It was a pleasure to get heater working. Even is not common really need it, SOMETIMES is nice get it to comfort on some areas of the city belt where we get high mountains and cold areas in Caracas ( maybe 10* or 12* Celsious at midnight  )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

303 Mopar

I plugged my water pump and just removed the hoses. Simple.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Brightyellow69rtse

i plugged mine at the water pump and actually removed the entrie heater box. it looks nice and clean and the heat inside the car is way down.

XH29N0G

How did you end up plugging the holes in the firewall where the two heater tubes poke through?  I am thinking of an large oval hole in a 1970.  I see yours is a 1969, so it might be different.   
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

BrianShaughnessy

I guess it depends where you live.   And break it down if it's a race car or a cruiser.

I can't see me doing that... EVER.   It's just silly to be without a functioning defroster in the northern parts of the country.   And to deny yourself the opportunity to drive in moderate comfort in the beginning and end of car season...   especially if there's girls around - they rather enjoy the warmth in my experience. 

I did bypass a heater core in my '67 Catalina when it sprung a leak when I was 16 and stupid - that really sucked.   I would have fixed it later but then I blew the engine.

Otherwise,  the cost of a heater core isn't that much in comparison with an A/C evaporator.   And it can be done without too much hassle.

A/C is another matter...  but I pulled the A/C out of my Firebird years ago and regret it to this day.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Aero426

Not something I would do.   But I agree the shut off valve is probably the cleanest method.      The looped hose thing looks cheesy.

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 20, 2018, 05:36:21 PM

Every one I have seen so far used rubber caps with clamps over the normal intake nipples.

Is there a year / assembly plant that did otherwise?  :shruggy:

Alaskan_TA

Another thing to consider is an overheating condition.

If / when an engine nears overheating or does overheat for any reason, if the heater is in place & functional you can flip the switch & get some extra cooling.

A heater does warm the inside of the car, but it can also provide a bit of extra cooling to the engine when you really need it.