News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

P/N for turn signal flasher

Started by abqmoparbill, October 04, 2018, 11:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abqmoparbill

I have been experiencing problems with the turn signals/brake lights on my '70 Charger.  I checked the fuses, OK,  and then pulled the flasher.  I measured a dead short across the two terminals, black wire/red wire.  Then for laughs I connected the flasher to a bulb and the battery and got no flashing.  It is a Buss Flasher 552/536.  Before I take off to NAPA I would appreciate it if someone could confirm that this is a correct replacement.  A lot of people have tampered with the electrics on this car and I have found other wrong replacement components.  Thanks for your help.  Oh yes I checked all the bulbs, all OK.

Nacho-RT74

Do you know how turning flashers works? They MUST have continuity between both ends. When you feed them with 12 volts they allow the full 12 volts on the output up to the turning switch. Then when turning ( or hazzards if talking about hazzards ) routes the power to feed the bulbs, the load they suck makes to heat the flasher bimetallic inside untill opens the circuit like a breaker. Then cools down and closes the circuit to light up again... and once again heats, once again opens, then cools dow and closes... etc... There is not a positive and negative poles inside.

A damaged flasher will not open with load, or will be open permanently without feed anything.

The correct way to test it is get the bulb socket to negative of batt and the flasher in series between center pin of bulb and  the batt + lead. Can't recall if there is MANDATORY an input and an output or can be conected either way. But if needs to be correctly conected in just one way if you look at the plug wires, black wire on turning flasher plug would be the input signal, while the red is the output to the turning switch
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html