News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEED HELP. 727 SPEEDO AREA LEAKING

Started by ACUDANUT, October 04, 2018, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Can the speedometer gear get so worn out, it won't seal. ?  I have am stuck and need professional advice on how to seal this Transmission.
PLEASE HELP ME.

John_Kunkel

If it's leaking from around the adapter housing, the seal is a common O ring 1.75" OD by .100" thick. If it's the inner seal the leak will be from the speedo cable. Both seals are available. Pinion shaft wear rarely causes a leak.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TF8-727-TF6-904-Transmission-SPEEDO-HOUSING-LEAK-STOP-SEAL-KIT-Speedometer-A727/300695995128
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Swampwing2

Could it possibly be leaking from the nearby neutral reverse switch? The brand new one in mine had a metal ring behind the O-ring that prevented it from sealing. It would leak like crazy from there and just run along the pan to make it look like other things were leaking. I ended up using the original switch as the new one just would not seal.

ACUDANUT

Nope, it's the speedo area. I had it on a lift today..

bee1971

I could never get those small inner black seals to work , drove me nuts as it was the only drip on the tranny after fixing everything else

My tranny shop actually gave me one , pretty sure it was a GM seal , had a garter spring on it

Perfect the last few summers

ACUDANUT

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 04, 2018, 01:39:42 PM
If it's leaking from around the adapter housing, the seal is a common O ring 1.75" OD by .100" thick. If it's the inner seal the leak will be from the speedo cable. Both seals are available. Pinion shaft wear rarely causes a leak.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TF8-727-TF6-904-Transmission-SPEEDO-HOUSING-LEAK-STOP-SEAL-KIT-Speedometer-A727/300695995128

Thanks John !!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 04, 2018, 01:39:42 PM

Bought the Kit (2 piece). Still leaks pretty good. 1 drop every second when running.  The big orange "O" ring does not seal...I am going MAD.

Alaskan_TA

Is the housing 'clocked' right for your pinion gear size?

If it is not clocked right, the housing can be crooked & not letting the o-ring & housing seat into the transmission case correctly.

John_Kunkel

Did the adapter go into the tail real easy like the O ring wasn't the correct size? IOW, the installed O ring should require a noticeable push when installing the adapter.

ACUDANUT

it went in fine. I felt it grab better and thought I would have a better seal. NOPE.

c00nhunterjoe

If you didnt have to give it a noticable push and get a "pop" when it seated, its not the right o ring. If so, i assume there are no burrs or damage on the adapter and trans?

RD

did you put the big o-ring on dry or did you put some assemblee goo (http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-185/Dr.+Tranny+Assemblee+Goo) or vaseline on it before install?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RD on November 14, 2018, 10:31:20 PM
did you put the big o-ring on dry or did you put some assemblee goo (http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-185/Dr.+Tranny+Assemblee+Goo) or vaseline on it before install?

It was lubed of course. But thanks. :2thumbs:

BLK 68 R/T

It's not leaking from the access plate for the tail shaft housing snapring is it? It's close to the speedo area on the bottom and not really visible with the crossmember installed.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on November 15, 2018, 01:55:03 AM
It's not leaking from the access plate for the tail shaft housing snapring is it? It's close to the speedo area on the bottom and not really visible with the crossmember installed.

NOPE. It's from where I described.

John_Kunkel

You need to remove the adapter again, clean the area and inspect real close for anomalies like a crack or burr. If worse comes to worst, goop the O ring with RTV.

ACUDANUT

I am throwing in the towel here. :brickwall:  I need someone local to fix it.

Nacho-RT74

some crack on tranny case or speedo gear housing ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

Nope, non of that.  I wonder if Stuart knows someone.  :scratchchin:

charger Downunder

The  number on the adapter cover must correspond to the number of teeth on the gear. This must be lined up at the 6 o clock position. In other words your teeth number must be at the bottom of the housing when installing.
[/quote]

ACUDANUT

Quote from: charger Downunder on January 02, 2019, 11:14:40 PM
The  number on the adapter cover must correspond to the number of teeth on the gear. This must be lined up at the 6 o clock position. In other words your teeth number must be at the bottom of the housing when installing.

Going into this again. Wish me luck.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: charger Downunder on January 02, 2019, 11:14:40 PM

Can you or someone please show me picture of what you are talking about PLEASE.
Also, does the small black bushing/seal snap in with the C ring ? I never found a groove in there to see where it resides.

John_Kunkel

The pic below shows the orientation of the adapter in relation to the small bump on the tailhousing. The seal is installed with the lips facing in and a wire ring holds it in place.

ACUDANUT

John, What do you say about this "The  number on the adapter cover must correspond to the number of teeth on the gear. This must be lined up at the 6 o clock position. In other words your teeth number must be at the bottom of the housing when installing"

Do I have to count the teeth ?  I just want it to stop leaking, I don't care about the correct speed it shows.

Kern Dog

The numbers on the housing correspond to the tooth count of the pinion gear. The gear will have the number molded into the plastic of it. The "range of numbers" that has the numbers including your speedo pinion needs to be at the 6:00 position. The housing has an offset built into it so as it is clockedaround, the speedo gear aligns  with the grooves in the transmission output shaft.