News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

couple of ??? on hp

Started by westcoastdodge, October 14, 2018, 02:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoastdodge

guys would it be possible to get a stock 440 to around 500ish hp and keep it pretty stock looking,got the motor on the stand and now has got me thinking :scratchchin: have got the carter avs,and hp inlet manifold.going to rebuild anyway so what pistons,cam etc could get me there,also have the porting templates if they are any good.would be using 1 7/8" long tube headers as i already have them.i have a 1972 never been apart steel crank 440,ran well with good oil pressure and no nasty noises.would this be an impossible task?? :2thumbs:will be going back into my 68 charger,lot to do as yet but just throwin ideas out there and see what feedback i get :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

justcruisin

All comes down to cost, best bank for the buck with 500ish hp in mind and stock looking, stock stroke but with headers would be a zero deck short block and a set of cleaned up stealth heads and a 230ish @50 hyd cam.
Check out the proven engine combo section, some good examples in there.

c00nhunterjoe

Look up bsb67 on here. His engine looks bone stock right down to the exhaust manifolds but is well over 500 hp.

Challenger340

It is a fairly simple build to get 500 hp from a 440 Mopar, and yes it can appear almost stock, albeit with your Headers

The basics are:
Icon 9953 Pistons
Stock LY Rods Resized W/ARP Rod Bolts
STEALTH Heads by 440 Source
A Good Quality Block Machining Pkg
Get it Balanced

For best results have your Machine Shop clean up the Stealth Heads a bit with a better V/Job.

Long read, but go have a look at this thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106687.0.html
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BSB67

Quote from: westcoastdodge on October 14, 2018, 02:51:58 PM
............ have got the carter avs,and hp inlet manifold.going to rebuild anyway so what pistons,cam etc could get me there,also have the porting templates if they are any good.would be using 1 7/8" long tube headers as i already have them.........

The suggestions above by others are good.  You can get there with factory heads, but the $ you put into them will be more than the Stealth heads, most likely.

Your challenge will be carb and intake.  If you are set on the factory intake and AVS, I doubt you'll get much past 400 - 425 without other tricks.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

You can make a stock intake make horsepower. But you will spend more on it then a set of eddy heads...... buy a decent intake, grind the logo off and paint it engine color if you want it to look stock.

PRH

As has been said.......500hp from a 440 = no problemo.

Having a 500hp 440 with open chamber iron heads that will run on pump gas with the stock intake and carb....... that's a whole 'nuther subject.

As has been said, warm up to the idea of aftermarket heads.
The stock 4bbl manifold is also a big problem at that power level....... so, while you're warming up to the aluminum heads, start getting used to the aluminum intake manifold.

The stock 440 avs can get you to 500hp, but it won't have good drivability trying to cope with the 500hp camshaft unless some low speed circuit mods are done.
If you want something stock-ish looking, get a new Edelbrock 800avs.

Making power and using modified stock components is the harder and more expensive way to get there.

Some people enjoy the challenge....... you just have to decide how bad you want the stock look..... or if you really just want 500hp.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

c00nhunterjoe

In perspective from the cylinder heads- to take a core set of 906 or 452 heads and make them flow comparable to a set of out of the box stealths at low lift (.450-500), you could purchase 3 sets of stealth heads and the stockers still wont be as good.

Click on the link in russ's (bsb67) signature and look at the photo of his engine on the dyno. Pretty hard to tell its not stock.