News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Amp gauge question

Started by keith88, October 27, 2018, 04:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith88

I recently fixed a short to my voltage regulator Spurred on by be putting a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter that showed my volts were 15.3 I ended up with a new regulator  and new alternator by the time I was done. After the fix when i changed it out it read 14.7 volts the next day said 15.3 again I just got in a solid state regulator in installed it and it say the same thing. The amp gauge seem to be good goes to 20+ on start up than settles at 3-5 + amps My guess is that the USB adapter is not accurate. What would the amp gauge show if it really was over charging? Would you be able to tell?
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Nacho-RT74

Read the stickied thread about wiring upgrades and what an ammeter readings means. Is not the same than voltage, althought sometimes related
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

keith88

Yea i know amps is direction, volts is more or less the amount of flow ..My question is how long was the volts that way since there is no volt gauge in the car and is the thing I have actually right is it over charging? Didn't know if the amp gauge would show that.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Gold Rush

Actually, amps in not direction.  They will flow either direction.  Easiest way to understand amp and volt is to relate it to a water hose.  Amps is the amount going past any certain point in the hose.  Volts is the force that pushes the amps faster or slower.  To test your regulator function I'd find a more reliable meter other than an aftermarket USB power point.  I bet almost any auto parts store would be glad to test it for you.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

igozumn

Quote from: Gold Rush on October 27, 2018, 09:11:42 PMTo test your regulator function I'd find a more reliable meter other than an aftermarket USB power point. 

Agreed.  Check with different meter.  Just like doctors and 2nd opinions.....
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

Nacho-RT74

Even the water example is the more correct one, maybe is easier try to image this situation on your own body and will help to understand it

Lets say you have to push your from car from the street up to your driveway.

Volts is how many guys you have to push it
Amps is the force everyone need to apply.

If you are two guys, each of you will need more force to move your car.. More amperes each

If you get a 3rd helper: more voltage... and each one will require less force to push the car... less amperes each.

In any case, the car which is the force sucker will require the same ammount of amperes to be moved.

On electricity, the voltage is given by the source, the amperage is required by the device to work.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

keith88

I know that but my description of amps and volts was awful I will give you that just not sure how to explain it quickly... I failed at that. I was just wounding if the volts were over charging if the amp meter would show that and how it would. And yes I dont trust the USB  power point that why i was asking.

Gold Rush

Sorry Keith.  NOPE, the amp gauge will not give you a good indication regarding voltage.  Two entirely different processes.  Some owners have replaced the amp gauge with a volt meter and some have simply added the volt meter.  I have several hand held multi meters and even keep one in the Charger's tool box. You might want to consider picking one up.  For less than $50 you can buy a very respectable hand held.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

keith88

Thank you ..that is what i was asking.

keith88

Ok I got a multi meter gauge today and it say that Im running at 15.3 volts just like the usb adapter says it dose go to 14.7 when i hit the brake lights than back to 15.3. The amp gauge looks fine at just above zero I dont notice the battery getting warm or melting any wires when I run it, could have been doing this all along I would have never have known if I didn't put in the adapter to tell me. I know it a little high but how big of an issue is it. What should I watch for ?

c00nhunterjoe

:shruggy: the car analogy is a terrible one for ohms law. The water hose is closer. You guys need tobrush up on electricity 101. There are columbs, joules, volts, amps and ohms to calculate. Voltage is nothing more then the amount of POTENTIAL energy in a circuit.
  A very basic explanation is to imagine a 5 gallon bucket full of water with a 1" diameter hose on the bottom and your finger covering the end. The pressure pushing against your finger is voltage. There is no water flowing at this point. The bucket filled with water is the battery and its state of charge. Full battery- more voltage at the end of the hose. Half filled bucket- less voltage and less force on your finger. Now remove your finger- water is flowing- amps. Need more water flow through that 1" hose? Then we add a taller bucket of water- increases the voltage. Or we lower the ohms by stepping up to a 2" hose with the same size bucket- large gauge wire or one with finer strands vs solid core. Current does not flow through your wires. It flows around the outside of the strands. Thus why household wire is solid core and not multistrand. More voltage. If you use a higher quality wire, it will have more strands and thus be able to carry more current without increasing heat, which also increases resistance/ohms.

In the case of this car, 15.3 volts is too high. You are going to fry components and light bulbs.