News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood Turn Signals

Started by jefferson, December 11, 2018, 09:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

I didnt realise the signals/indicators were options on the charger, i thought they were just part of the design from 68-70?
My 68 has them, so when i hit the indicator the lights on the bonnet flash.

Funny the new things we learn everyday

If these were an option and a charger owner opted OUT of them, was there something else to replace the gap where they are mounted, or was it just a plain bonnet?

Cheers

70 sublime

Just a flat plate went over the hole that you can see the lens in
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Bronzedodge

Saw a pair of plates for 68-69 at Carlisle last year.  Think they were asking $25-35.-   I remember thinking, "who would want these?"
Mopar forever!

Ghoste

Not many I would think, unless you were restoring something significant that came without them.  It's a feature that should have been standard equipment in my opinion.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on December 12, 2018, 07:01:37 AM
Not many I would think, unless you were restoring something significant that came without them.  It's a feature that should have been standard equipment in my opinion.

Just like seatbelts, passenger side mirrors, bumper guards... but diff concepts back in the days
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TexasGeneral

Cant find the plates but found this

jefferson

so the chargers that came without them?

how could u tell if you had your blinkers/indicators on? besides the light flashing on the dash lol

i guess the light flashing on the dash was the only way then? lol

everytime i drive my charger, i know when my indicators are on when the hood signal is flashing/ plus the light flashing on the dash
cant imagine driving without the hood indicators hahah

Dino

Quote from: jefferson on December 12, 2018, 10:16:22 PM

how could u tell if you had your blinkers/indicators on? besides the light flashing on the dash lol

everytime i drive my charger, i know when my indicators are on when the hood signal is flashing/ plus the light flashing on the dash

I have never owned another car that had hood turn signals. The dash indicators oughta be enough.   ;)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Its like a primitve head up display lol.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Wasco

My '68 has them, but they don't appear on the option tag.  I assumed they were added later by someone or the hood had been replaced.  The passenger side fender is from a '69, so I figured the hood might have been replaced with the fender.  I plan to keep them but install LEDs instead.

Just 6T9 CHGR

My R/T was never originally optioned with the L31 Hood Turn Signals.....I kept my block off plates after I added them ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I don't know why, but I had always just assumed your car was loaded.

stripedelete

Quote from: jefferson on December 12, 2018, 10:16:22 PM

Wow.   You just made me realize just how focused I am on looking out for idiot drivers.  I can't recall ever looking at the hood indicators .   I don't know if they work or not....

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on December 14, 2018, 12:34:14 PM
I don't know why, but I had always just assumed your car was loaded.
Nope.  Pretty basic R/T.  Major option was AC.  4 wheel HD drums and even a 3.23 non-Sure Grip rear!

All the goodies you see I added!  LOL
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Only add on I was aware of was the hood paint.  Though it was a hood pin car and all sorts of other goodies.  You sure made it into a great example my friend.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

mr. hemi

My '69 one option R/T had empty holes when I acquired the car. Found a P/N for the blank plates in the parts book. Took me a few years to find them (seems indicators are more common), but then it was only one. If it wasn't that it was NOS in the original packaging I would have sworn it was home made. Made a duplicate to match and got the black filler decals from Pheonix Graphics and ben good ever since.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

Polygon

I ordered new wires for the hood blinkers from Krusinmoons. LOL I had the plastic blinker part out, I polish the face with one of those headlight polishing kits and it turned out very nice. For my 1970.
www.lostinspaceforum.com

If you like the old TV show, Lost In Space, check out my page

6pkrtse

I have had like 15 Chargers over the years & every one of the Charges I owned all had the hood turn signals but I have seen a few without them on the net.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

alfaitalia

Mine does not have them.....or any holes to fit them (no blanking plates) so the hood must have been replaced with a cheap pattern one somewhen in its life. It has one very BIG hole in it now though!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

69B5

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 13, 2018, 07:08:34 PM
My R/T was never originally optioned with the L31 Hood Turn Signals.....I kept my block off plates after I added them ;)

Mine came in with the amber plastic in the hood, but nothing else (no wires, no sockets, etc). I would like to add them. Did you need to splice into the wiring harness or was there a plug in spot ready to go?
thx!

Nacho-RT74

front lighting harness must have a female plug close to bulkhead to add them. Options usually got everything easy to be added without any splice job
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

VegasCharger

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on January 05, 2019, 04:15:06 PM
front lighting harness must have a female plug close to bulkhead to add them. Options usually got everything easy to be added without any splice job

Correct.  :2thumbs:

Here's a pic of mine. My '68 did not come equipped with hood blinkers but I've added them. The female plug is already in the harness from the factory. It's actually near the brake booster (see red arrow in pic).

:cheers:

BrianShaughnessy

So Black Betty came with hood signals but since I went fiberglass hood I didn't use them as there were no holes in the hood.

Sinnamon came back to me without hood turn signals and had block off plates in the hood.

So my big idea was to try to save $ and reuse the stuff from BB for Sinnamon...   HA!!!   Of course not!! I lost the main power harness and neither of the hood signals worked anymore either.

So you can buy all the stuff on ebay either together or separately to put in hood turn signals on your 68-69.   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

b5blue

I had a 67 Mustang with "in hood blinkers" in the 70's. For our Chargers it was a delete on economy package cars. Not caring about this detail I bought a set of delete plate inserts off eBay for my 70 car rather then dump 100's to replace all the missing crap. (Spent $$$$ on all new wire harness front to back so dash blinkers work nicely.)