News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Restoration Leaf Springs And Torsion Bars.

Started by mr. hemi, December 24, 2018, 10:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. hemi

Greetings to the forum members. I have used the search function and could not find a definitive answer on the subject title. My Charger is an older restoration, numbers matching car, so originality is a bit more important than out and out handling performance. I restored this car in the early 80's with the best of what was available at the time. I would like to freshen up the suspension to OEM specs by installing new (correct) rear leaf springs and front torsion bars. The originals are pushing 50 years old. Are the Mopar restoration components (available from a few sources) a viable option? If so, is there merit to utilizing the .960" torsion bar as opposed to the .920" original? This is a hemi, 4 spd. car. At the time of restoration all suspension bushings, ball joints, etc. were replaced with new and appear to be fine. The car has been kept in climate controlled storage, driven approx. 16000 miles since. Really just looking to restore the original ride height and stance by changing out the springs. As an addition, what shocks have people been using? I currently have correct stock Mopar replacements that I was still able to purchase back in about 1979. (yes, I have owned this for a long time). Thanks for any information.

Cheers,

Mr. Mike

You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

Nacho-RT74

Can't tell about the rear springs, but T bars.. to the use you are putting on your car, replace for the same size is quite enough. Althought .96" won't hurt anything. Basically will bolt in the adjusting bolt maybe less than with .92 to keep the same ride height but being a bit ( just a bit ) stiffer.

Shocks... once again, for the use, KYBs Gas-A-Just is pretty much enough and very good for the price. They are a nice upgrade being monotube instead twin tube of the originals. Next step could be the RCD shocks ( Bilstein inners ) but priced more than twice than the KYBs

If you want even more, a thicker Sway bar will help a lot on handling.

these are just opinions. Once again, for the use you get to your car make a bigger investment won't worth.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

green69rt

One option on the torsion bars is to have them restored instead of replaced.  Firm Feel will do it.

http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_torsion_bar_heat_treat.html

375instroke

Your leafs look fine to me, going by your tiny pic.  You have a better one?

69bfan

A couple of things to consider in my opinion.  With this being a factory Hemi car and if the torsion bars and leaf springs are the correct part numbers and date coded pieces, I would think that you would want to keep the correct parts on the car.  As for as the torsion bars, unless the the car has been beat on severely as a drag car or suffered damage from a a collision, I do not see what your going to gain in sending them out,  I had no ideal of the service offered, but from a engineering standpoint, do not see the gains.

On the leaf springs, they can be sent out and rearched.  Not knowing your area, check out large truck repair shops as most of them offer the service.  These shops will have the specs to return the springs back to the factory arch level, but some people have had the springs not hold after the rearching and shops will not usually warrant this work.  But I have had at least five sets done and had no issues.  The plastic and zinc interliners and bands are readily available. 

I have heard mixed reviews of the Mopar Performance restoration springs, that they will not hold up and will flatten out quickly upon installation.  The aftermarket springs from Eaton, Espo, etc. are alternatives.  But the end of each leaf may not match your factory originals and the part numbers and date codes will not be present.

Your best bang for your money will be in the shocks.  I have no experience in this area of aftermarket shocks, but I am sure others can voice an opinion on  what works well.  Just a word on the current shocks on the car, some of these factory shocks can bring a mint for the high end restorations.  Guys are seeking out factory original shocks, so before you toss them into the dumpster, check to see if they are factory pieces and what numbers are stamped into the housings.  Pieces with correct numbers will possibly pay for the new shocks that your looking to purchase.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

mr. hemi

Quote from: 375instroke on December 25, 2018, 04:17:53 PM
Your leafs look fine to me, going by your tiny pic.  You have a better one?

Take a look at this photo, I found it after the original post.

Thanks
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

Nacho-RT74

To me, rear springs needs to be replaced/reached.

Just my 2cents.

And that will take the front clip to be toward down so, will need to be readjusted or parts replacements.

Beging from rear since thats the non adjustable section, then take the decisions in front clip
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mr. hemi

Quote from: 69bfan on December 25, 2018, 08:41:50 PM
A couple of things to consider in my opinion.  With this being a factory Hemi car and if the torsion bars and leaf springs are the correct part numbers and date coded pieces, I would think that you would want to keep the correct parts on the car.  As for as the torsion bars, unless the the car has been beat on severely as a drag car or suffered damage from a a collision, I do not see what your going to gain in sending them out,  I had no ideal of the service offered, but from a engineering standpoint, do not see the gains.

On the leaf springs, they can be sent out and rearched.  Not knowing your area, check out large truck repair shops as most of them offer the service.  These shops will have the specs to return the springs back to the factory arch level, but some people have had the springs not hold after the rearching and shops will not usually warrant this work.  But I have had at least five sets done and had no issues.  The plastic and zinc interliners and bands are readily available. 

I have heard mixed reviews of the Mopar Performance restoration springs, that they will not hold up and will flatten out quickly upon installation.  The aftermarket springs from Eaton, Espo, etc. are alternatives.  But the end of each leaf may not match your factory originals and the part numbers and date codes will not be present.

Your best bang for your money will be in the shocks.  I have no experience in this area of aftermarket shocks, but I am sure others can voice an opinion on  what works well.  Just a word on the current shocks on the car, some of these factory shocks can bring a mint for the high end restorations.  Guys are seeking out factory original shocks, so before you toss them into the dumpster, check to see if they are factory pieces and what numbers are stamped into the housings.  Pieces with correct numbers will possibly pay for the new shocks that your looking to purchase.

I appreciate the feedback. Rest assured that if I replaced anything, the originals stay in the shop for the reason of originality. When I restored this car many years ago I disassembled the leafs, prepped, painted and replaced all of the zincs, plastics and straps at the time. They still appear as new, but I suspect may have sagged a bit, hence the question on replacement. Personally, I have not had good luck re-arching leaf springs, albeit they were done by a truck shop, but did not seem to hold up. I was not aware that the torsion bars could be sent out and re-heat treated, but as stated due to the value as the original correct date coded parts I would be reluctant to do so for fear of not getting them back. The Mopar restoration pieces would offer an easy solution for me as I live nearby Mancini Racing and could drive by and pick them up instead of having to ship, but that only works if they are suitable. I have owned my car for nearly 40 years and it was immediately dis-assembled for restoration once I acquired it. The car appeared to have been drag raced previously as there were weld on traction bars on the lower spring perches, and the engine had a Kellogg crank installed, 12.5:1 pistons, as well as a Lakewood scatter shield. Kept the crank obviously and pitched the scatter shield. So the original springs may be a bit tired. Back when I first purchased the car I had the foresight to go through the parts book and order anything from Chrysler that I could foresee needing. That is how I came to have original shock absorbers for the car. I bought them when they were still available from the dealer. replacing those with a more modern gas charged shock may indeed improve the handling. I posted a better photo in response to an earlier reply. It may give a better indication of whether the rear springs are sagged.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback.