News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a Superbird - Seeking advise on what to look for and values

Started by RSI700VIPER, January 12, 2019, 05:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSI700VIPER

I've had many mopars over the years including a 69 Hemi Charger 500 (lost in divorce), but never a Wing Car.  I'm now ready to make the plunge.  Going to look at a Lemon Twist bird on Tuesday, 440-4BBL auto on column, matching numbers that was restored about 15 years ago but not driven much.  Looks clean and straight but pictures could be deceiving.  Missing jacks and spare but owner claims all original sheet metal.  I did spot that the hood had the center brace in one of the pictures.  Thought all birds had that brace removed from the factory but not sure.  Any inspection advise on what to look for or opinions on values would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks.      
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

Alaskan_TA

Google the VIN & also check with the Registry for any past history.

RSI700VIPER

I did.  It's not in the Registry.  This is the car:

www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Plymouth-Road-Runner-SUPERBIRD/254030011500

He is pretty firm on the price though. 

alfaitalia

Looks like the listing has ended...wonder if it sold?.....or he just saw it on here and thought he'd remove it before it was torn apart by you wing experts....of which I am certainly not one!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

70 sublime

You can still look at the ebay pictures if you click on the ad ended picture

See one picture passenger side head rest the nice chrome trim is falling off the bottom
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

djcarguy

sreach here,,   there is a tread and info an pix on this site  about the 2 birds in a basement.one restored an one not put away for many years..

Went to ebay said add ended 12-24-18..    but click original add and info an pixs are there.  looks great an buy at120k seems good . :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

Owners say's all original sheet metal but looks like a new trunk floor to me :scratchchin: :shruggy: LEON.

RSI700VIPER

Bump.  Floor is missing some body plugs.  Will check closer tomorrow.   Anyone else with advise or link on what to check for regarding specific superbird issues?

timmycharger

Is the clock broken or battery unplugged? it is showing the same time (including third hand) in both dash pics?

Edit: Nevermind, the battery terminal is off..  :eek2:

Aero426

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on January 14, 2019, 02:52:36 PM
Bump.  Floor is missing some body plugs.  Will check closer tomorrow.   Anyone else with advise or link on what to check for regarding specific superbird issues?

I saw the Ebay listing, but what is the real asking price on the car?    

The center brace present in the hood is strange.    

I think the story was this one was restored years ago.   That would reflect in the over restored undercarriage which is not to the standard you would see on a concours car today.     It's not a deal breaker, but it is not assembly line correct.     If the sale price reflects that,  I see no foul.   

The whole cars still looks pretty fresh, so that would lead me to think it has not been driven much, and may not be well sorted out mechanically.    

Lemon Twist is the most common known color on a Superbird.   Bench and column auto are not for everyone.    

Are both jacks present?   Correct spare?   A correct trunk mat is very hard to find.  

Overall, it looks like a decent car.    So if the price is right,  you should think about going to see it in person.  

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

djcarguy

Quote from: djcarguy on January 12, 2019, 09:08:12 PM
   sreach here,,   there is a tread and info an pix on this site  about the 2 birds in a basement.one restored an one not put away for many years..

Went to ebay said add ended 12-24-18..    but click original add and info an pixs are there.  looks great an buy at120k seems good . :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on January 14, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
The center brace present in the hood is strange.    

Good eye Doug... Yeap, too bad the homework was completely done when the car was restored..  The orange one found with the yellow one in New York is down here in the Houston area now.....

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection