News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger - What kind of anti-theft gadgets did you install?

Started by rollo1504, January 29, 2019, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollo1504

Hey Folks!

I am thinking about installing some kind of anti-theft gadget or something like that to prevent some dumba....es from driving away easily with my baby when parked....

So can you guys provide please what you did to your beauties to make them safer against robbing....

Hope you understand what I am telling here with my poor english...

Thanks

Roland

cazzz

I moved the battery  to the trunk and put a on off switch in line inside the trunk. So open trunk turn off switch and walk away. Its better than nothing  and we all know how easy it is to fire up a old dodge.

Chargen69

wished I had put my battery in the trunk.

put a switch under the dash that kills the coil

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Nacho-RT74

If using an ECU module, mount it isolated from chassis and ground it with a switch hidden somewhere ( or even with a remote control and relay ). Everybody will search for positive sources ( which will be there ) but nobody for a negative source
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger RT

absolutely nothing. all stock. it is locked in my steel building when I'm not with it and have security cameras on the building. When I take it out I never leave its side.
Tim

Bronzedodge

A section of vacuum hose the same diameter as the coil wire, with coil & cap boots on the end.  Replace my coil wire with that.   Sure, someone savvy can figure out a no spark condition, but it will take a while to find.
Mopar forever!

Back N Black

Winter storage or if I'm outta town in the summer I pull the rotor button. Day to day driving I have nothing.

Dino

Alarm system with remote start, and a hidden GPS tracker. I use the car but don't want to lose it. The remote tells me when someone's messing with the car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

303 Mopar

You can add a bunch of gadgets and spend $1000's, but the bottom line is if someone wants your car bad enough they will get it. Best hope is to deter them so they move on to another car to target. 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

rollo1504

rollo1504

I think I will go with the GPS Tracker and the idea with isolating the ECU with a hidden ground switch is also pretty nice.....

DINO I have already seen in another thread that you already have been going through installing an alarm system with remote control for the power windows etc? How did it work out for you in the end?

Which alarm system or GPS tracker did you use and are you happy with it?

And of course I know if someone wants my car bad enough that he will get it but I want to make things for such dickheads as hard as possible.

Thanks

Roland

Dino

Quote from: rollo1504 on February 08, 2019, 05:32:37 AM
I think I will go with the GPS Tracker and the idea with isolating the ECU with a hidden ground switch is also pretty nice.....

DINO I have already seen in another thread that you already have been going through installing an alarm system with remote control for the power windows etc? How did it work out for you in the end?

Which alarm system or GPS tracker did you use and are you happy with it?

And of course I know if someone wants my car bad enough that he will get it but I want to make things for such dickheads as hard as possible.

Thanks

Roland

I don't have the car on the road yet so I can't comment on how it works just yet. But I have been testing it out for a while and it seems to work well. The alarm/starter is an Avital 5303L and I am very happy with it so far.

The GPS tracker is one of many online gadgets you can buy. An old cell phone would work just as well. Those are easy to install and use. I actually have two in the car in case one dies or the thief finds it. Won't do me much good if they haul it out of the garage and strip it down before I get my butt out of bed but you do what you can to keep your baby safe.

When I bought the alarm I did so because I'd be able to have power doors, trunk, and windows operated by one remote. I never look up anymore when an alarm goes off in a parking lot. I don't expect anyone else to. That siren would be killed in a few seconds by a pro anyway. One of the nice things though is that the siren will chirp a few times before going full batshit crazy on you. So if someone messes with the door handles or something, they'll have a warning to knock it off. That's pretty nice.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

J-440

ECM and fuel pump kill switches.  Main on/off switch on tail panel.  Hell, if you have a manual tranny these dumb thieves nowadays can't use a clutch.
  The best one though was an inventor in South Africa.  He was tired of getting car-jacked and so he invented a device that shoots a 6 foot flame from under the car right where a carjacker is standing by your door.  It's a small propane tank with foot switch igniter by the brake pedal.  You can imagine the effect!!
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

HeavyFuel

Sometimes I fear someone will notice my car in the driveway or garage stall, and someday come back to the house, break into the garage and roll it into an enclosed trailer and be gone.   My neighbors are all hermits, wouldn't be hard, probably.

I've actually had nightmares about it.

So I should get some more security in the garage, besides the Claymores.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mr. hemi

I wish I had a picture of this, but don't unfortunately. Years ago, 38 to be exact, my '67 GTX was stolen from my driveway (photo). It was later found torched. After that, I immediately built a double ended "U" shaped bar (1" round steel) that locked in the middle with a hardened padlock. It locked between the steering wheel and the brake pedal, preventing the car from being steered or applying the brakes. I should have applied for patent as a version of this was later marketed as the "Club" anti theft device. It was cumbersome, but is was effective. An attempt to steal my '69 Hemi Charger R/T from my driveway was thwarted by my primitive device. The bastards smashed the vent window for access, but then saw the bar when they opened the door. Fortunately, they did not torch the car in the driveway. I used this with a few vehicles over the years, set it behind the seat when driving. It also doubled as a great "Equalizer" if the occasion arose.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.