News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Selling on Craigslist, was it always this bad?

Started by timmycharger, February 18, 2019, 02:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

:shruggy: It has been a few years since I sold anything on Craigslist and recently I put on a set of wheels and tires.  Within an hour of the posting, I got 3 texts and 1 email that seemed like potential scams.  The 3 texts were from out of state and all of them said they wanted (it) and didn't have any appropriate questions. They all wanted to pay with a money order and wanted my home address.

One of them gave me a story that he is out of state and will send me a money order for $30 more than the price and will have his mover come get it.. LOL yeah ok...

This is insane! who falls for this stuff?  Today, finally I got what seems like a real interested party, looking for actual measurements and other info.

I have to sell some other household junk next and I'm wondering if I will be dealing with the same BS again.. :brickwall:

69bronzeT5

I've been selling quite a bit of stuff on Craigslist lately; just misc. household stuff. Haven't had any potential scammers but a lot of morons.

For example. I list a lightly used pet rabbit cage up for $35 (was $150 new). Some lady messages me asking if I'd deliver it to an area that is an hour drive each way from me. I say sure, give me $50 total (so $35 for the cage & $15 for delivery). No reply.....

Another was I had a set of snow tires and wheels up for $250 firm. My wife's friend bought them for $200 from our neighbour but they wouldn't fit her car. She says list them up for $250 and when you sell them, you keep $50 and give me the $200 back I paid for them. A guy messages me saying he will take them. Asks if I can meet him at a location about 40 minutes from my house. I agree since I have to go to that area anyways. I get there, unload the tires and he goes "so, what's your best price?". I say "I wanted $250 firm". He goes "oh, I only brought $200. Will you take that?". I go "No, I'm pretty firm but tell you what, I'll let you have them for $240 since I'm here". He goes "All I brought is $200" then he opens his wallet and shows me that's all he has. I ended up letting him take them for $200. It pissed me off but at least they were out of my hair and my wife's friend got her $200 back she paid for them. I tell you though, if I had made a separate trip out of my way to meet up with that guy, I would of tossed them back in my truck and driven away.  :brickwall:

So while the scammers seem to be pretty low lately on Craigslist, the number of cheap morons continues to grow.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

timmycharger

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 18, 2019, 02:55:16 PM
I've been selling quite a bit of stuff on Craigslist lately; just misc. household stuff. Haven't had any potential scammers but a lot of morons.

For example. I list a lightly used pet rabbit cage up for $35 (was $150 new). Some lady messages me asking if I'd deliver it to an area that is an hour drive each way from me. I say sure, give me $50 total (so $35 for the cage & $15 for delivery). No reply.....

Another was I had a set of snow tires and wheels up for $250 firm. My wife's friend bought them for $200 from our neighbour but they wouldn't fit her car. She says list them up for $250 and when you sell them, you keep $50 and give me the $200 back I paid for them. A guy messages me saying he will take them. Asks if I can meet him at a location about 40 minutes from my house. I agree since I have to go to that area anyways. I get there, unload the tires and he goes "so, what's your best price?". I say "I wanted $250 firm". He goes "oh, I only brought $200. Will you take that?". I go "No, I'm pretty firm but tell you what, I'll let you have them for $240 since I'm here". He goes "All I brought is $200" then he opens his wallet and shows me that's all he has. I ended up letting him take them for $200. It pissed me off but at least they were out of my hair and my wife's friend got her $200 back she paid for them. I tell you though, if I had made a separate trip out of my way to meet up with that guy, I would of tossed them back in my truck and driven away.  :brickwall:

So while the scammers seem to be pretty low lately on Craigslist, the number of cheap morons continues to grow.

Wow! that is certainly frustrating!   I expect to be haggled with on a price, that is fine, but to get you all the way out there... Ugh!

moparguy01

I've been trying to sell a van the past month. It's rediculous. I'm asking 1600 for it. In the past week,i was offered 300, 600, and 800. Each of them got mad I would accept their extremely low ball offer. Keep in mind, none of them had seen it yet. That question was within the first 2 messages from any of them.

Alaskan_TA

I ignore low-ball offers.

For others, I ask if they want to make an appointment to come see it it person & I rarely hear back.

Those that do make an appointment have always bought whatever it was they were interested though.

Chargen69

the last scammer that hit one of my sales told me he'd give me $800 instead of the $400 I was asking...  I told him to make it $16,000 and send it to me on iTunes cards.  he told me to go fuck myself, I told him, you first

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Ponch ®

Yes, post something and youll be flooded w shady emails/texts/calls.

For the last couple of years I've been using apps like OfferUp / LetGo, etc. You also get the fake responses, but at least it confined to just the app (ie no calls/texts/etc...unless you open that door to them). Maybe not as much stuff as on CL, but Ive generally tend to find (or not find) whatever im looking for at the same rate as CL.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

John_Kunkel

All of the OP's offers are standard Craigslist scams, I too, am surprised anybody would fall for them. It's so common anymore I treat it just like spam in e-mail, look and delete.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

67440chrg

I have never sold or bought anything off of craigslist I have had things I wanted to sell there but the stories have kept me from it. I think if I ever do I will have them meet me at the cop shop to do the deal.

72Charger72

I have sold several things on Craigs lately. The worst are the low ballers. Fine if you want to try before we make the deal but I had a guy show up for a fish tank I was sellling with stand. Stand was wrought iron and worth 75$ alone I had them advertised for 140.00 for both not separating.

This guy shows up in  a Brand new Lexus SUV and tries to get me  to sell the tank for 50$ told him Your kidding right ....Sorry thanks for wasting my time.  I never ever drive to meet them. If they want it they can drive to me at my local Walgreens or wherever.

ACUDANUT

I would have walked away.

Chargen69

Quote from: 67440chrg on February 21, 2019, 10:58:49 AM
I have never sold or bought anything off of craigslist I have had things I wanted to sell there but the stories have kept me from it. I think if I ever do I will have them meet me at the cop shop to do the deal.

facebook marketplace has been working well for me for non car parts.  special car parts I'm still sticking on ebay

69bronzeT5

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 21, 2019, 07:33:50 PM

I would have walked away.

I considered it, but I got them out of my hair and my wife's friend got her $200 back.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

RallyeMike

It wasnt this way in the days of the classified ads becasue people actually had to call you and talk in person. Email and texting de-personalized it and made things faster so there is a new brand of scammers are taking advantage of it.

So...... I still use Craigslist but I only take land-line calls. I rarely answer the phone and only return a message that sounds like a real buyer. The posting always says "Call only. No text. No email. All serious buyer's messages returned". This is very effective in weeding out anyone who is not a serious buyer. Most of the  low-ballers and scammers won't be bothered with this becasue it takes too much time and they have to leave a return phone number on the message machine. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Sendero

I put up a 2014 Chrysler 300C  with 5.7 hemi , AWD and no accidents.  53 k on it.  I decided to keep it after dealing with several super-low ballers. I also had in the past firm price agreements on other items and when we meet half way, I am told...I only brought X dollars, will you take it?  I said nope and left without further comment. I will not reward bad behavior...and I do not meet half way anymore. 10 minutes max.

stripedelete

Low balling after you have put effort into the sale has nothing to do with Craigslist.  It is a negotiating technique that goes back to the beginning of trade.

Craigslist is awsome if you lived in the day of the classified ad.  Like Rallyemike, phone calls only!  No need to go into the serouse inquiry only, no lowballers,  no scammers rant (that whole thing makes me assume the seller is angry and I move on).  The "phone call only" weeds all that out.  If you're going to meet them, do it within a mile of your house.   And make them call when they leave thier house.

If you're a seller who lacks the communication skills to talk on the phone.  eBay!

And if you are getting low balled all the time - maybe your price is too high.

chargerbr549

When i sell on craigslist I don't put my phone number on there for me I prefer to email to see if somebody is actually interested and ask them specific questions (which usually weeds out out most of the riff raff) then if things look good I will go to phone numbers then talk. When people low ball me thats just part of the game of selling and buying no big deal to me I might shoot them back a price or totally ignore it or wait for somebody else to inquire about what I am selling.

If I am looking at buying something on craigslist and see something of interest but its listed for more money that I would pay I will sometimes throw out a stupid low ball number and sometimes have gotten a smokin deal or they will drop their price if they have had it awhile and want to get rid of it. Sometimes they won't respond by email at all or only take phone calls so I usually move on unless it's something I really want.

Chargen69

I just sold something on ebay for like 169.  ebay fees that month were $19

it was the only thing I sold

that sucks

stripedelete

Quote from: chargerbr549 on March 14, 2019, 10:43:28 PM
When i sell on craigslist I don't put my phone number on there for me I prefer to email to see if somebody is actually interested and ask them specific questions (which usually weeds out out most of the riff raff) then if things look good I will go to phone numbers then talk. When people low ball me thats just part of the game of selling and buying no big deal to me I might shoot them back a price or totally ignore it or wait for somebody else to inquire about what I am selling.

If I am looking at buying something on craigslist and see something of interest but its listed for more money that I would pay I will sometimes throw out a stupid low ball number and sometimes have gotten a smokin deal or they will drop their price if they have had it awhile and want to get rid of it. Sometimes they won't respond by email at all or only take phone calls so I usually move on unless it's something I really want.

People give me some pretty nice stuff because they are afraid to sell it, because of the perceived  "vermin" on CL.   So when I get low-balled, 9 times out of 10 the lowballer gets a smokin deal.   I don't care if it's worth $200, if I make $75 for taking a picture.  (but they still have to call to get it :)

I agree with you.  it's all part of the game.   

alfaitalia

If its a seller, selling a car and he wants to meet anywhere other than his house then I'm instantly suspicious on how legit the car is. I want to see proof that he is the guy on the owners doc and I want to see the car at the address its registered at on the same doc. Minimises the chances of you buying a stolen car I think. This is after ive checked it out on Equifax or some other provider to make sure its not stolen or still on finance!! Might be different over there as Im not sure you have a similar car documentation system.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Troy

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 31, 2019, 07:23:42 AM
If its a seller, selling a car and he wants to meet anywhere other than his house then I'm instantly suspicious on how legit the car is. I want to see proof that he is the guy on the owners doc and I want to see the car at the address its registered at on the same doc. Minimises the chances of you buying a stolen car I think. This is after ive checked it out on Equifax or some other provider to make sure its not stolen or still on finance!! Might be different over there as Im not sure you have a similar car documentation system.
I almost never have a buyer meet me at my garage. Their eyes tend to wander to too many other things and then I either spend the rest of the time answering "is that for sale" questions or worrying about them coming back to take the rest. If my garage was at my home I may be slightly more trusting. Maybe not.

I have gotten some really good deals buying on Craigslist but selling can be painful. Once people figure out I am serious about buying and actually have money they often give me a price break without me asking. Possibly to get me to shut up (inside joke). When selling I swear there must be a million project Jeep Cherokees out there because everyone has one to trade. And if we agree to a price and someone tries to lowball me when we meet then I'm tempted to shoot them in the kneecap. I think that would be fair. But usually I just leave. I'll sell it to the next guy for that amount.

I have purchased a few things recently from Facebook marketplace. It's usually a lot of junk BUT you can kind of creep on their account to see if they seem real. I like buying stuff from people who are passionate about the same hobbies I am. I've actually made several friends this way. The only real downer is that Facebook Marketplace is a resource hog in your browser and gets really slow.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.