News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charge wire

Started by J-440, February 24, 2019, 02:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

Yanking my starter and I currently have a 1 gauge wire from the starter terminal going to the alternator terminal (positive charge).  I also have a 2A gauge welding wire going from the same alternator post to the battery.  Can I eliminate the wire from the starter to the alternator?  Car is currently getting 14.1 volts at idle just fine.  Would I lose some volts by removing the wire?  This car is EFI so I need the maximum 14 volts.  Thanks.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

Gold Rush

Do you also have the battery positive terminal feeding direct to the starter?   You need one high current path to the starter.    Sounds to me like you might have some over-kill going on there.  Never heard of wire that size used from alternator to anything.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

J-440

Yeah I've made a few mistakes in the past.  My electric skills aren't up to speed.  But yes I do have a big 1 gauge going from the battery to the starter post.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

Nacho-RT74

as I'm telling via PM, the starter just sucks power when cranking, hence the alternator is not working. Not reason for starter-alt wire. Is being redudant to the alt/batt wire. Not overkilling but oversizing for something will never see loads there but sharing loads with an already enough wire between alt and batt... which BTW is bypassing the ammeter.

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Gold Rush on February 24, 2019, 02:35:55 PM
Do you also have the battery positive terminal feeding direct to the starter?   You need one high current path to the starter.    Sounds to me like you might have some over-kill going on there.  Never heard of wire that size used from alternator to anything.

:iagree: Depending on the alternator output #6 from alternator is all that's needed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.