News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cross country auto delivery options

Started by gtx6970, March 01, 2019, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtx6970

Trying to get my ducks in order. Anyone recently had a car moved across country.

Looking at one in southern Ohio , need moved to Tucson Az area. No rush right now as it will probably be this fall after the Mopar Nats before it happens

Enclosed preferred , I MIGHT consider open , MIGHT
I haven't done this in many many years so I have no idea as to costs for something like this .

Transporters if you see this feel free to give me a quote if its easier

Kern Dog

Call Kowakski delivery services.   :rofl:

Challenger340

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81160.450.html

Truely Vintage Vehicle Transport, member here on this site, 30 ft enclosed, I think he is scheduling a trip to/from Columbus Ohio soon ?

I've been watching his transport threads here for the last 8 years, they move some pretty amazing iron all over the country.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

WHITE AND RED 69

I used Reliable Carriers and they were great on all aspects. A bit more expensive than others on the quote but I felt more comfortable with them rather than other companies that contract out.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ACUDANUT

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 01, 2019, 07:52:25 PM
Trying to get my ducks in order. Anyone recently had a car moved across country.

Looking at one in southern Ohio , need moved to Tucson Az area. No rush right now as it will probably be this fall after the Mopar Nats before it happens

Enclosed preferred , I MIGHT consider open , MIGHT
I haven't done this in many many years so I have no idea as to costs for something like this .

Transporters if you see this feel free to give me a quote if its easier

Wait until Fall and I will respond further... A non running car Cost $$$$ to move.  I just did it.. It's sucks.

gtx6970

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 04, 2019, 02:41:37 PM

Wait until Fall and I will respond further... A non running car Cost $$$$ to move.  I just did it.. It's sucks.

The vehicle I'm looking at is a running driving car,, so no worries there

Im looking into the possibility to fly out , rent a Uhaul truck/ trailer and bring it here myself.

VegasCharger

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 04, 2019, 06:11:24 PM
.....rent a Uhaul truck/ trailer and bring it here myself.

To do this, U Haul will make you rent a box truck/trailer instead of a pick-up/trailer. No long distant one way rentals on their p/u's. And of course a box truck will cost more. However if you line up some parts hauls that could help pay for some of your cost. Make it to where the parts recipients meet you on your main route to keep cost and time down.

:cheers:

gtx6970

Quote from: VegasCharger on March 05, 2019, 02:22:13 AM
Quote from: gtx6970 on March 04, 2019, 06:11:24 PM
.....rent a Uhaul truck/ trailer and bring it here myself.

To do this, U Haul will make you rent a box truck/trailer instead of a pick-up/trailer. No long distant one way rentals on their p/u's. And of course a box truck will cost more. However if you line up some parts hauls that could help pay for some of your cost. Make it to where the parts recipients meet you on your main route to keep cost and time down.

:cheers:

Yep,
Did some cking and sure enough. Minimum truck size is one with a 10/15 ft box. Cost me a little under  $2000 plus fuel. Do-able But Ive made that  cross country trip twice when we moved out here , Im not sure I want to do it again.

Trulyvintage

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 01, 2019, 10:14:21 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81160.450.html

Truely Vintage Vehicle Transport, member here on this site, 30 ft enclosed, I think he is scheduling a trip to/from Columbus Ohio soon ?

I've been watching his transport threads here for the last 8 years, they move some pretty amazing iron all over the country.

Thanks ...  :2thumbs:

It is always best to after a vehicle yourself if you have the time.

Fly out & drive it home or drive out & trailer it home.

If you can't do that - hire someone who drives the truck pulling the trailer that hauls your vehicle
directly from pick up to drop off without storing it in a yard between trailer transfer(s).

Pay no deposit or give no credit card information in advance.

If you want to risk hail damage - send it on an open trailer.

I just dropped off this 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible in College Station, Texas a few days ago ...   :Twocents:

The new owner had his last car damaged by one of the national carriers during transport - so he called me.

Jim

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bill, I didnt know you went out to AZ!  Hows the weather?  :)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on March 10, 2019, 01:05:51 AM
I just dropped off this 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible in College Station, Texas a few days ago ...   :Twocents:

Man, you were in my neck of the woods...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Trulyvintage

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 13, 2019, 07:12:32 PM
Quote from: Trulyvintage on March 10, 2019, 01:05:51 AM

Man, you were in my neck of the woods...

Boy you folks have been getting the rain ...

I left Wednesday with this 1960 VW Double Cab Ranch Truck

It has 7000 original miles.

Believe it or not - it sold for 28K ....

On my way now to Baltimore, MD to drop it off.

Jim

VegasCharger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on March 15, 2019, 11:40:47 PM
.....I left Wednesday with this 1960 VW Double Cab Ranch Truck

It has 7000 original miles.

Believe it or not - it sold for 28K .....

Does move on it's own power??

Trulyvintage

No ...

It hasn't ran in a long time.

VW Double Cabs are rare.

Jim

Alaskan_TA

QuoteThe vehicle I'm looking at is a running driving car,, so no worries there

Any reason not to fly out & drive it home then?

I bought a 4-door in WA state in Nov. 2017 & I drove out from PA to get it & bring it home.

I figured if I was spending the money on 'transport' I'd do it myself.

Road trip & smiles for miles!  :cheers:

gtx6970

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 13, 2019, 06:02:00 PM
Bill, I didnt know you went out to AZ!  Hows the weather?  :)

I moved out here 1st of Aug.
Wife followed the 1st of Sept. Once house in Ky was sold.

Bought a nice house on .75 acres. with a nice 3 car garage . Now its time to put some old Mopar iron back in our garage has arrived . And Ive pretty much made a deal to own this one next.
Belongs to a very good friend of mine . He's owned it for nearly 20 years. I told him when he 1st bought it. That when the day came he had grown tired of it,,,,I wanted first refusal. And that day has finally come.
And I dont think I can pass this opportunity up at the price he gave me for a running driving done turn key hemi car in my dream color combination,
aka,,,,,Black with red int. The fact its a hemi auto is only a bonus . Now,,,all I just have to finalize some details on my end to make this happen.

gtx6970

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on March 17, 2019, 07:02:03 PM
QuoteThe vehicle I'm looking at is a running driving car,, so no worries there

Any reason not to fly out & drive it home then?

I bought a 4-door in WA state in Nov. 2017 & I drove out from PA to get it & bring it home.

I figured if I was spending the money on 'transport' I'd do it myself.

Road trip & smiles for miles!  :cheers:

Barry, to be honest.  Yes, gave it some serious thought ( and still MIGHT be an option,,,just not likely )
Problem for me is time. This is a 1966 Hemi car. The drive from northern Ky to southern Az has some sections of hiway where civilization is far and few between in places. Not to sure I want to test that water.
And at just a tick over 11 to 1 compression it HAS to have premium with an additive to survive , plus at well under 10 mpg the trip may be memorable ( or a nightmare ) ,. But my fuel card would be screaming by the time I got here with it. Not to mention my insurance man may have a problem driving it across country

Trulyvintage

If anyone reading this is interested ...  :Twocents:

I am leaving March 19th from Baltimore, MD empty all the way to Phoenix, AZ.

A customer on my schedule just had the clock run out & I have to go get their car ....

I have 30 feet of enclosed trailer space available.

Jim   :drive:

gtx6970

Quote from: Trulyvintage on March 17, 2019, 07:58:59 PM
If anyone reading this is interested ...  :Twocents:

I am leaving March 19th from Baltimore, MD empty all the way to Phoenix, AZ.

A customer on my schedule just had the clock run out & I have to go get their car ....

I have 30 feet of enclosed trailer space available.

Jim   :drive:

Jim,
I sure wish I could make this deal happen that fast.
But like I said, I want to wait till after the Nats to bring it west

VegasCharger

Quote from: Trulyvintage on March 17, 2019, 05:01:44 PM
No ...

VW Double Cabs are rare.

Jim

Oh okay, I thought you only transported vehicles that moved on it's own power.  :cheers:

ACUDANUT

He has a winch, but left my buddy hanging. They made a "deal" to move a Jeep to move from the East coast to Mo.  Jim backed out at the last moment and my buddy had to find another way.  :brickwall:

Trulyvintage

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 26, 2019, 09:09:15 PM
He has a winch, but left my buddy hanging. They made a "deal" to move a Jeep to move from the East coast to Mo.  Jim backed out at the last moment and my buddy had to find another way.  :brickwall:

What - exactly - is wrong with you ?

You sent me a PM requesting a transport quote.

Notice how I did not reply ?

Jim

Trulyvintage

Quote from: VegasCharger on March 26, 2019, 04:28:57 PM
Quote from: Trulyvintage on March 17, 2019, 05:01:44 PM
No ...

VW Double Cabs are rare.

Jim

Oh okay, I thought you only transported vehicles that moved on it's own power.  :cheers:

I winch every vehicle on and off whether it runs or not.

A vehicle has to roll freely on tires that hold air
and steer straight.

Jim

ACUDANUT

If I need to, I can post the "customers name and the transaction that never happened."