News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

After 35 years I'm ouda here...

Started by triple_green, March 30, 2019, 10:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

Yesterday was my last day at the Boeing Company...after almost 35 years. Like my dad said, I won becuase they didnt take me out on a stretcher :)

It was mostly a good ride. My favorite times where when I was working with the test laboratories and especially the Wind tunnels (learned a lot). Now I have less money and more time :)

I am thinking about going to some car shows that are a little farther away from my normal 50 mile radius from Seattle. I love the Muscle and Chrome show in Seaside. OR (two cruises and show) and Rod Run to the End of the World (Long Beach, WA) American Graffiti style cruising on Fri and Sat night, 2500 cars in town and 1200 in the show.

Any other ideas for me. Now that I dont have to be home for a 4:45 am wakeup on Monday?

Here the cake my work group got me.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

b5blue

:cheers: I joined the "more time less money club" last April. It takes some time to adjust to new parameters but you'll love it!

Kern Dog

Congratulations! Woooooooo !!
If you don't mind, how old are you? I am 53 and am able to retire with 30 years in the trade next year. I am mixed about it. I love construction but am absolutely tired of the long commutes that have become commonplace. I still feel great, no daily aches or ailments except for feeling a bit slower than I was before. If you are still in good physical shape, that is great...just remember to remain active somehow.

green69rt

Welcome to my world.  After a while, you'll wonder how you had the time to work, take care of house stuff and sleep.  Sleep usually lost with me.  Enjoy you retirement!  Are you thinking of taking some part time work to soak up the hours?   I wouldn't till you see how your day shakes out.

triple_green

Kern Dog,

I'm 60, and thankfully in very good health overall, just a few small aches and pains. This is another reason I wanted to get out when I could.

We have been a one income family since the birth of our daughter in 1988. We helped 4 kids get a college degree and they are all now our on their own with either good jobs or grad school (they have substantial scholarships).

Boeing froze our pensions five years ago, so even though I liked my job, eventually there was really no reason to stay. I have hobbies and volunteer opportunities line up, so many that I cant possible do it all.

Like you said I will not miss the 4:45 get  ups and the 45 min commute each way.

Take Care, Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

John_Kunkel

The last four years before my retirement I worked swing shift (3:30 PM to Midnight) so the first day of retirement was no different than any other i.e. no AM rising and commute.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Kern Dog

45 minute commute. I wonder what that is like!

alfaitalia

Takes me longer than that to drive the mere 12.5 miles to work most mornings in the UK rush hour.......
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Q5XX29

dakota_gt on Instagram

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RECHRGD

I retired at 59.  It seems like only a couple of years ago, but I'm 71 now.  Do all the stuff you've been putting off, as the time just flies by!  Congratulations on your retirement.......
13.53 @ 105.32

RallyeMike

Congrats Mark!  I'm also pulling the plug in July  :cheers:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

wingcar

Congratulations!   :cheers:

I did the same thing several years ago after 20 years at Boeing.  I worked Finance (Estimating and Contracts) in Mesa, Arizona on the AH-64D Longbow Apache line.  They treated me very well, including paying for my Master's Degree (100%) and other perks.  Mostly good times...  I moved up North to Prescott in order to get out of the heat...don't miss the 100+ temps at all.  Still in great shape, so I got another job...as a buyer.  I am planning to retire again for the final time next year.  Then my better half and I plan to put more miles on the motorhome checking out car and air shows across the country.  I will also have more time to actually work on my two projects (and any the wife has, of course).

If you want suggestions....check out the Reno Air Races in Sept. and perhaps a trip to Vegas for the SEMA Show.

Main thing.....enjoy life!
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

4cruzin

I'd love to say that one day I will retire but don't see that happening anytime soon.  Congrats to you for a job well done! 

:2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

superbirdtom

congrats!!  i just retired after 40 years in autobody and aircraft painting. I worked at boeing plant in everett for a while. I had an aircraft paint shop at burbank airport from 83 to 87-painted every kinda plane u can think of.  i too want to go to car shows. you must be in seattle area. dont know if u remember my black superbird at shows there bout 1990.  good thing is u survived two housing bubbles and your on top of the real estate prices right now.   have a great retirement. 

alfaitalia

What is standard retirement age over there? Here its 65 for men and 60 for women....which always seems unfair to me...especially as on average women live longer than men. Of course many here retire earlier or later then that...but that's the age you can claim your government pension....my dad is still pretty much full time at 74....and he does not even need to work! Been with the same farm for 60 years...I guess he quite likes it!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

RallyeMike

For a government check (Social Security) generally, you can get a lesser check at 62, a regular check at 67, and bigger check if you wait a little longer. Women and men are treated the same as far as age goes.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Homerr

Sounds like time to drive around the country for a couple months in the Charger!

69rtse4spd

Congrats,  :2thumbs:, 5-6 more years for me maybe but I still enjoy my trade.   

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

hemi68charger

Outstanding to all you retirees... I'm about a decade behind you all (Hopefully that equates to a decade younger?)  ;)

I plan on bailing around 65 I believe ( will turn 55 in July ). I have a 13 year old, so have to worry about college ( hopefully my Texas military benefits will help me with her ). Also, in about 5, I start drawing my Air Force retirement check till I'm in the ground..... 15 years of pension and 401K from my first employer and now, with Chevron, I hope to garner about 15+ years with them with pension and 401K. Hopefully Social Security will be around for me ( been paying into it all my life ). It'll be a single income retirement for my wife and I, hopefully I'll be good to go.......... And let the increase in Mopar-shows begin.......

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

67440chrg

Congratulations go have fun. I am 56 and can go at 57 if I want to take a 3 percent hit for each year before 62. I will prob wait until 59 or so. Or maybe that early lottery plan will pay off.

Back N Black

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 30, 2019, 12:10:48 PM
Congratulations! Woooooooo !!
If you don't mind, how old are you? I am 53 and am able to retire with 30 years in the trade next year. I am mixed about it. I love construction but am absolutely tired of the long commutes that have become commonplace. I still feel great, no daily aches or ailments except for feeling a bit slower than I was before. If you are still in good physical shape, that is great...just remember to remain active somehow.

I'm in the same boat, 53 and 30 years into my trade. I will retire next March.

chargerperson

35 years in this day is impressive.  Not many people last that long at a company
Congratulations on retirement
I am 52.  Could retire but not ready