News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Timing chain cover?

Started by timmycharger, April 08, 2019, 07:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

I am replacing the old direct connection chrome timing chain cover in my 440, went to look for a new one and there are so many choices. I would be ok with another chrome one, but a regular painted steel one is fine too, just want something that is well made and not a piece of junk. 

Any suggestions?

BLK 68 R/T

I have one of the chrome Mopar Performance ones. Don't know if they are still available or not? No issues with mine, but it is an old one. Just curious why are you replacing?

timmycharger

I saw some chrome ones, but I think I may go to a regular steel one to paint orange like the engine this time around. 

I think something is not right with the one I have, it sits in the locating pins just fine but the bottom rail part is tweaked (from me bending on it) and ever since I messed with it, I cant get it to sit flat and match the pan rail of the block, one side is too high, the other is too low and I am on my third attempt to stop leaks on both corners where the block meets the timing chain cover.

First I tried a one piece plastic windage tray gasket from JEGS that leaked like a sieve in that area, regardless of how much RTV I put in that area.  I went back to the traditional Felpro cork style with high tack spray and RTV just on the corners where it meets the timing cover and same thing, oil fast drips out of both corners. I went back, snugged the bolts, still leaking and I managed to squish the gaskets out of the sides.

This time, I bought 2 SUPERFORMANCE gaskets from Mancini, new bolts with the loc tite on them and will start fresh with a new timing chain cover and give that a shot..

Never had leaks like this before on this motor until I did the cam swap last year and that is when I messed with the timing cover rail (bending on it with a crescent wrench  :'( )

BLK 68 R/T

Yea, oil leaks suck. Hope you get it fixed with a new cover and gasket.  :cheers:

This one looks nice to me.
https://www.manciniracing.com/rebstticowit.html

timmycharger

Yes that is the one I was looking for!! not sure how I missed that when I ordered the gaskets... Ill give them a call and see if I can get it in my order. 

Thanks!!!  :cheers: