News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hope its getting restored

Started by GTP1500, April 17, 2019, 06:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTP1500

Hey all, I sold my 69 Charger on here a few years back to a kid in Florida so I found him on facebook and thought Id message him and find out how the restoration was going.

He replied back telling me "Sadly the restoration to a modern 68 clone was never finished because it was stolen by the man who was suppose to the electrical work for me. I worked on it for a solid 18 months, straightening the frame, making the body solid and interior brand new.  Right before I was about to install the transmission and engine he moved and took the car with him.  The police never found it...  I have since moved to Alabama and have been too busy to start looking for and beginning again on my dream car.  I have also taken a course in electrical engineering so not to have to rely on help to finish again. If you would like I could even get you some photos of the work that I did get done on it."

Knowing this story sounded pretty far fetched I replied that I'd love to see the pics, none came so a few days later I messaged him again telling him I'd love to see the pics as it was my first car, purchased at 15, sold a few years later and approx. 15 years later fortunate enough to buy it back but it needed more money, time and knowledge than what I had so I decided to sell it and give someone else a chance at getting it back on the road.

So this morning I get several pics of his "progress" before it was "stolen"... Immediately I knew it wasn't my old car. It was setting in a big professional shop with Hellcat wheels on it, the pic where he claimed "This is after we stripped her and straightened the body out" was of a Hellcat chassis and then the last pic was of a 68.

I reverse image searched the pics and all but one were from the build of Reverence, the last pic was of a 68 from auto trader. I sent all of the pics to him with the website and finished pic of Reverence.... I told him you can be honest with me, it was more work and money than I was ready for so no shame in selling it to the next guy to restore.
Well after reading and viewing the pics he blocked me.

I really just wanted to keep track of my old Charger as I'd love to see it finished. I hope its okay to post a pic of the VIN and fender tag in case someone on here happens to have restored or is restoring.

GTP1500

Pics

myk

What is the point of lying about a project  that you bailed out on.  It would've been easier to just ignore you and go about his likely miserable life...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Homerr

It's fine, let's make it searchable:

XP29H9B395500

GTP1500

I suppose it could still be sitting in his yard... That wouldn't have made him as good of a story to tell though. I agree, keeping quiet would've been a whole lot easier than searching the internet for pics to download and share.

hemi-hampton

I've ran into a few people in the past that did similar stuff, Had wild crazy stories that were unbelievable & the lies got crazier & crazier as time went on. And for no apparent reason for the lies. I chalk it up to no morals & no ethics pathological lying psychopaths. :brickwall:

GTP1500

I'm sure if I hadn't sent screenshots of the original source for the pics and told him he could just be honest with me I could've been on the other side of some wild stories!  :popcrn:

Daytona R/T SE

My guess is, you sold it too cheap and the guy flipped it a week later for a big profit. :Twocents:

BSB67

Sad story on a couple of levels. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Y1CHARGER

If your Charger meant that much to you, you should of kept it or given it to a close friend or relative.  Some people might find it annoying for the previous owners of their car to keep checking on it.    :RantExplode:  Too late now, that's what pictures are for, get over it. 

GTP1500

Lol I knew there had to be one....

cdr

Quote from: GTP1500 on April 19, 2019, 08:25:22 AM
Lol I knew there had to be one....

YEP !!!
Through Facebook I keep in touch with the 2 previous owners of my Charger, that goes back to the mid 1970's, they enjoy seeing whats going on with it.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

67440chrg

I know how you feel about being curious about a old car. I have also wondered about a 72 SE that was stolen from me in the late 80s.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on April 19, 2019, 08:24:04 AM
If your Charger meant that much to you, you should of kept it or given it to a close friend or relative.  Some people might find it annoying for the previous owners of their car to keep checking on it.    :RantExplode:  Too late now, that's what pictures are for, get over it. 

Yeah..I agree. I didn't want to be rude but it seems from over here that you are too concerned for something that you cannot control. Once a car leaves your possession, it is neither your right nor your duty to control what happens to it.
Many of us have been curious about cars that we have sold. It surely isn't healthy to dwell on it though.

GTP1500

Goodness.... I sold it in 2015, here we are 2019 and I simply messaged the first time I might add asking how the restoration was going. I get some bs story about it from him and got a kick out of it and thought I'd share it... I simply was curious if any of you guys happened to have bought it and are currently restoring. Some of you people act like I planted myself outside of his house or something.
My uncle bought a 65 GTO and he found the guy that restored it many years back, he even went to visit him and let him take it for a spin. He learned the back story of the car and that he'd been trying to locate it just for curiousity sake, I guess no one on the GTO forums informed him it's none of his business to know what had happened to it.

cdr

Quote from: GTP1500 on April 19, 2019, 11:52:35 AM
Goodness.... I sold it in 2015, here we are 2019 and I simply messaged the first time I might add asking how the restoration was going. I get some bs story about it from him and got a kick out of it and thought I'd share it... I simply was curious if any of you guys happened to have bought it and are currently restoring. Some of you people act like I planted myself outside of his house or something.
My uncle bought a 65 GTO and he found the guy that restored it many years back, he even went to visit him and let him take it for a spin. He learned the back story of the car and that he'd been trying to locate it just for curiousity sake, I guess no one on the GTO forums informed him it's none of his business to know what had happened to it.
I recently found my GTS383 that I sold in the early 80's, it is now a full blown racecar, he was very happy to learn about the cars history.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

GTP1500

I didn't think I was crazy for wanting to see someone finish a dream I'd had until I got on here... Your story is very inspirational and your 68 is beautiful!