News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone add a high third brake light?

Started by green69rt, April 27, 2019, 04:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I'm at the point of putting the head liner in and thought I would add wiring for a third, high brake light (like newer cars have.)  Anyone do this and what did you use?

Birdflu

I have not and would not! Unless I was building a custom resto-mod, I think it would look out of place. After all, I'm assuming you'd be adding it for rear end collision protection? I don't think 38 'extra' brake lights would save one of our cool cars from being rear ended by someone texting!  :Twocents:

Mike DC

QuoteAfter all, I'm assuming you'd be adding it for rear end collision protection? I don't think 38 'extra' brake lights would save one of our cool cars from being rear ended by someone texting!  

If you were customizing an old car, would you think it was safe to move the stock brake light assemblies down near the tailpipes, take out half the bulbs, and put dimmer bulbs in the remaining ones?

That's pretty much how these cars look to modern eyes.  Modern brake lights have gradually grown higher & bigger & brighter.  The cumulative difference is major.  IMO it's plenty smart to consider adding another brake light to these classics if you are gonna drive them a lot.

-----------------------------

There are cheapo trailer-light type LEDs in any auto parts store that would work.  Get some small or thin ones and mount them at the top of the rear window.  (But you would want to shield the light from the rest of the interior with some kind of housing. It needs to only shine straight out through the glass to the outside.)  The nice thing about LEDs for this job is that there is no lag time while a bulb filament warms up.  LEDs will come on about 1/3rd of a second before the regular stock brake lights do.

There are plenty of OEM third brake lights out there to use, too.  But fitting an off-the-shelf light against the top of the rear glass might be a challenge.  They are all gonna be custom-molded to shape of the window for their original application.  

green69rt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 27, 2019, 11:27:17 PM
QuoteAfter all, I'm assuming you'd be adding it for rear end collision protection? I don't think 38 'extra' brake lights would save one of our cool cars from being rear ended by someone texting!  

If you were customizing an old car, would you think it was safe to move the stock brake light assemblies down near the tailpipes, take out half the bulbs, and put dimmer bulbs in the remaining ones?

That's pretty much how these cars look to modern eyes.  Modern brake lights have gradually grown higher & bigger & brighter.  The cumulative difference is major.  IMO it's plenty smart to consider adding another brake light to these classics if you are gonna drive them a lot.

-----------------------------

There are cheapo trailer-light type LEDs in any auto parts store that would work.  Get some small or thin ones and mount them at the top of the rear window.  (But you would want to shield the light from the rest of the interior with some kind of housing. It needs to only shine straight out through the glass to the outside.)  The nice thing about LEDs for this job is that there is no lag time while a bulb filament warms up.  LEDs will come on about 1/3rd of a second before the regular stock brake lights do.

There are plenty of OEM third brake lights out there to use, too.  But fitting an off-the-shelf light against the top of the rear glass might be a challenge.  They are all gonna be custom-molded to shape of the window for their original application.  

Birdflu, your comment is really what I'm worried about.  Yeah, I know I can't protect the car against some people, but I want to do what I can.  So a third light mounted high inside the back window might help.  I already painted the inside of the taillight lens with a very shiny chrome paint and they look really bright to me.  Just wanted to see what others have done because once I put up the headliner the option goes away.

What Mike said is what I was considering.  There are aftermarket ones that can be screwed down on the package tray but I didn't like that idea.  I was going to look around at more recent cars and see if I can find a light that fits snugly against the rear glass.  Yeah I don't want the light to shine inside the pass compartment.

JB400

I consider it a good idea, and one I would consider myself.

ALBSURE1091

Quote from: Birdflu on April 27, 2019, 09:51:58 PM
I have not and would not! Unless I was building a custom resto-mod, I think it would look out of place. After all, I'm assuming you'd be adding it for rear end collision protection? I don't think 38 'extra' brake lights would save one of our cool cars from being rear ended by someone texting!  :Twocents:

funny you say that. Exactly what happened to me in 2012. Young kid texting rear ended me at 60. Totalled the car.

kent

Kent

Birdflu

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on April 28, 2019, 11:01:34 AM
Quote from: Birdflu on April 27, 2019, 09:51:58 PM

funny you say that. Exactly what happened to me in 2012. Young kid texting rear ended me at 60. Totalled the car.

Yuck! Glad you're ok!  :2thumbs:

ALBSURE1091

Thanks! I have to say I barely felt the impact. I was stopped waiting to make a left turn and then BOOM! I'm thinking he saw me at last second and attempted to swerve but clipped my rear on passenger side. I'm sure if he hit me in center it may have turned out worse. That's 40 year old Detroit steel that kept me safe!!!

TexasStroker

I think there was a thread a few years ago about just this topic.

I've definitely considered it.  I think it would be hardest to make it look right up top off the headliner, but easier to box it in on the package tray.  The higher the better tho imo.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Nacho-RT74

will need to be sourced straight from brake pedal switch white wire and a diode to save from be sourced back from blinkers
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

I don't think a diode would be needed....if he sources from the white wire before the turn signal switch......there would not be any feedback from the blinkers because the wires to the blinkers are split off inside the turn signal switch to their own circuit. If they weren't, the other lights would also blink when each side was triggered to turn

Bryan

green69rt

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 29, 2019, 03:32:30 PM
will need to be sourced straight from brake pedal switch white wire and a diode to save from be sourced back from blinkers

Little more complicated than I thought.  I was just thinking of taking a lead off one of the tail lights.  After thinking about it, I can see the problem with that.  I'll need to run a separate wire to the brake light switch and maybe add an extra contact,  probably more effort than I need right now.  Probably just add the wires behind the head liner and leave it at that.

TexasStroker

Couldn't find the old thread...maybe it was tied in with someone's build, or other wiring questions.

That said, here are a few options from Ron Francis:
https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RW-42
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: A383Wing on April 29, 2019, 09:03:37 PM
I don't think a diode would be needed....if he sources from the white wire before the turn signal switch......there would not be any feedback from the blinkers because the wires to the blinkers are split off inside the turn signal switch to their own circuit. If they weren't, the other lights would also blink when each side was triggered to turn

Bryan

yes maybe but it won't hurt
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: green69rt on April 29, 2019, 10:21:11 PM

Little more complicated than I thought.  I was just thinking of taking a lead off one of the tail lights.  After thinking about it, I can see the problem with that.  I'll need to run a separate wire to the brake light switch and maybe add an extra contact,  probably more effort than I need right now.  Probably just add the wires behind the head liner and leave it at that.

not compllicated, just source it from white wire there and IF some power feed back from blinkers, install a diode on new wire... if not, you are done.

green69rt

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 30, 2019, 06:18:16 AM
Quote from: green69rt on April 29, 2019, 10:21:11 PM

not compllicated, just source it from white wire there and IF some power feed back from blinkers, install a diode on new wire... if not, you are done.

OK, I'll give it another look.  Thanks Nacho.

JR

Just throwing this out there, I'm all for adding a third brake light, but while you're addressing this, maybe add in a set of LED taillights too. They're way brighter than stock.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=86717.25
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

xsr/tse

Back in the 70's a friend of mine had a 69 charger with a model of a traffic light in the lower center of the rear window,
It was activated by a switch on the gas pedal and a wire from a brake light. And a ground plus a power sorce....with your foot on the gas, the green light was on. And with your foot off the gas, it was yellow, and with your foot on the brake, the light turned red. It was a real attention getter. And was available from JCWhitney. Sort of a retro third brake light. .....

xsr/tse

Here it is on ebay if anyone is curious #401534218195. It's called, Stadco. Life Saver.

Nacho-RT74

A friend of mine inserted a 3rd brake light into the deck lid, flushed with sheetmetal over the cylinder key... nice job. I don't think have a pic of that, althought actually that could miss the goal of their existence on some cars stopping behind you.

green69rt

Well, I got a third light from Ron Francis.   It came with color coded wires so hooked the ground wire to the car, the power wire to the white wire at the brake light switch.  Pressed the brake, worked fine,  Cycled thru thru all the turn signals, emergency flashers etc.  No problems.  Easy as pie.

Thanks to Nacho for not letting me give up on this.

Bronzedodge

If you convert to LED bulbs, you can add in the brake light strobe modules that many motorcycles use.  I plan on doing this for my Charger soon.
Mopar forever!