News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alt. to starter relay ???

Started by Highbanked Hauler, May 23, 2019, 02:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Will it help to run a 12g or so wire from the alternator to the starter relay, it seems in olden times we did this as an upgrade to keep  the lights from dimming as much, does it work or a farce. :D
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

John_Kunkel

12 GA is the stock wire size on many cars so what's the advantage? Light dimming at idle isn't a wire gauge issue.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 23, 2019, 02:32:21 PM
12 GA is the stock wire size on many cars so what's the advantage? Light dimming at idle isn't a wire gauge issue.

Is there any advantage to doing this anyway ?  with even a 10 ga. ??
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

A383Wing

the only advantage is it will take a lot of the load off the ammeter and wiring at the bulkhead.....the downfall is that your ammeter will not read correctly because of the shortcut the power is taking from the wire you will add

Bryan

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: A383Wing on May 23, 2019, 07:32:37 PM
the only advantage is it will take a lot of the load off the ammeter and wiring at the bulkhead.....the downfall is that your ammeter will not read correctly because of the shortcut the power is taking from the wire you will add

Bryan
  The gauge hasn't worked right for some time, then I bolted the wires together so the gauge doesn't work anyway but I have a volt meter under the dash now. So it does help with power at the bulkhead  which is what I am after, thanks..

92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

c00nhunterjoe

Changing the wire size before or after the ammeter does not change the load going through it.

Nacho-RT74

The bigger problem is really the alt output at iddle. Read the stickied thread
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

find the smallest pulley for the alternator and install it.....it will help the "discharge at idle" syndrome

Bryan