News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Steering wheel removal

Started by Rudderguy, July 03, 2019, 09:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudderguy

Need to replace the turn signal cam.  What is the best procedure for removing this type of steering wheel?  I have a puller. Any tips in not breaking anything would be welcomed.
Rudder Guy

hemi68charger

1. just twist the horn button off along with the adaptor.
2. use your steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel (maybe park the spline index which is supposed to be the top, 12 o,clock position, on the steering wheel and shaft )
3. you should have access to the turn-signal..

If you have to remove the switch, then you'll have to loosen the bottom steering column support saddle and black harness cover to allow you to be able to pull the wiring up out of the column..

I'm sure there are some minor details I'm missing....... but, that's the big picture...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Rudderguy

When you say "twist the horn button off"...do you mean just the plastic center dodge cap symbol or the entire padded horn assembly?
Rudder Guy

timmycharger

green69rt

Like the others have said.

Pic #1 twist the horn button off.  Once off you can see the spring steel fingers inside the horn button.
Pic #2 they slide under some metal retainers on the hub.
Pic #3 Once button is off you will see a nut in the middle of the hub.  Take it off.
Pic #4 Pull the wheel with a puller.  When you put it back be aware that there is an index spline on the wheel and hub.  The picture shows my finger nail at that index. 

That is there to keep the whole column aligned during assembly.  Inside the hub of the wheel is a matching "index" spline.  You need to line those up when putting it back together.

hemi68charger

Quote from: green69rt on July 03, 2019, 12:25:52 PM
Like the others have said.

Pic #1 twist the horn button off.  Once off you can see the spring steel fingers inside the horn button.
Pic #2 they slide under some metal retainers on the hub.
Pic #3 Once button is off you will see a nut in the middle of the hub.  Take it off.
Pic #4 Pull the wheel with a puller.  When you put it back be aware that there is an index spline on the wheel and hub.  The picture shows my finger nail at that index. 

That is there to keep the whole column aligned during assembly.  Inside the hub of the wheel is a matching "index" spline.  You need to line those up when putting it back together.

excellent documentation....  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Rudderguy

Most Excellent!  I really appreciate the help!
Rudder Guy