News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Canadians here go across the border to buy gas in the U.S?

Started by GMP440, July 08, 2019, 01:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMP440

Anyone here that live in Canada, near the Canada/US border cross over into the U.S. to gas your vehicles?

Ghoste

birdsandbees

I think 80% of Sarnia residents boot over the bridge just to buy gas...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

timmycharger

Just curious, how much of a difference in price is it? I know I can see a big difference just gassing up in NH vs MA, but that is my normal commute so I am not going out of my way.  I know people who will literally drive 20 minutes out of their way to save 2 cents a gallon  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Well.. right now in my part of southwestern Ontario, the price of gas here would work out to about 4.56 for a US gallon. 

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on July 10, 2019, 05:26:33 AM
Well.. right now in my part of southwestern Ontario, the price of gas here would work out to about 4.56 for a US gallon. 

I assume most of that are taxes of some sort??   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

You guys that do cross to get gas how much Canadian money does it cost you to fill up in the US vs how much for same tank full here at home ??

I hope there are no line ups to get over and back to make all the trouble worth it if you are only saving $20 , $50 maybe 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Ponch ®

US prices are lower because of indirect government subsidies, funded by taxpayers. Canadians crossing the border to get in on that = leeching off US tax payers.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Challenger340

$1.30 a Litre here in southern BC
$2.75 USD a Gallon 30 Minutes south in Montana / 3.78 = .73 a Litre USD X 1.31 to CND = .95 cents a Litre and Montana gets it's Gas from Alberta Canada Refineries

Which if a guy adds up the Fuel Taxes here in BC being .35 cents equals exactly pretty much the $1.30 a Litre we pay ?

But the REALLY weird part ?
Is that a guy can drive 3 hrs to Calgary Alberta(same Refinery supplying) and pay only .98 cents a Litre including the .25 cents per Litre Fuel Taxes in Alberta ?
Meaning...
the Alberta Oil Patch is RIPPING OFF both the BC'ers and the AMERICANS equally
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Indirect subsidies exist all over the economy.  And yes, the higher prices are directly by higher applied taxes.

stripedelete

Quote from: Ghoste on July 12, 2019, 05:17:04 AM
Indirect subsidies exist all over the economy.  And yes, the higher prices are directly by higher applied taxes.

:yesnod:

Musicman

I talked to a friend of mine in Canada last weekend. He pays $6 a gallon for Diesel in his truck. I told him I paid $2.79 a gallon for Diesel in NH... It really made his day  :lol:

b5blue

I am a bit lost? You get fuel in US to save but converting dollar exchange from Can. to U.S. lowers value reducing savings?  :shruggy:

70 sublime

Quote from: b5blue on July 14, 2019, 09:24:43 AM
I am a bit lost? You get fuel in US to save but converting dollar exchange from Can. to U.S. lowers value reducing savings?  :shruggy:

Thats what I wanted to know how much were they even going to save on a tank full in Canadian money for the trouble of doing it
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

Buck for per example saving 2.16 gal. x 20 gal. so 43.20 U.S.?  :scratchchin:

mr. hemi

Contrary to what has been said previously, nobody is lining up in Sarnia to run across the border just for fuel, unless they are math challenged. As of today's prices and exchange rate, regular in Port Huron MI is $2.39 US a gallon. That equates to $0.997 Can. per litre at today's exchange rate. Regular in Sarnia Ontario is $1.239 Can per litre. So a 60 litre fill up is going to save you a whopping $14.34 Can. approx. Then factor in the $8.25 bridge toll, round trip, leaves you with about a $6.09 savings. Not worth my time or trouble, especially with the post Trump "tude" at the border. And I live right on the border, look out my front window at Michigan. Now there has been times in the past, and I am sure there will be again, when it is worthwhile to do the border run for fuel, but not at the current prices and exchange rates. Diesel fuel is even less of a bargain. It is consistently more than regular gas in the US and can sometimes approach the price of premium.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.