News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why do some States and other Country's require front plates

Started by ACUDANUT, July 23, 2019, 07:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

If your getting pulled over, the license plate is right in the Cops face. ?  :shruggy:

Alaskan_TA

So that the person you just rear ended while you were distracted by texting can capture the video on their rear mount camera.

Plate, car, driver, phone, all in one image for the court case.  :cheers:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on July 23, 2019, 07:57:21 PM
So that the person you just rear ended while you were distracted by texting can capture the video on their rear mount camera.

Plate, car, driver, phone, all in one image for the court case.  :cheers:

Who has a rear mounted camera working while driving.?
Driver and Phone number does not mean the actual driver.
I think I get your sarcasm.  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

They want it there for the Red light cameras, roadside placed speed cameras, mobile license plate readers....Basically they want them on the car to use their artificial means to penalize, spy on or to capture you.
That is NOT sarcasm. It is also why some parking lots have signs stating to NOT back into the spaces against a wall. No front plate makes it impossible to garner that information.

ACUDANUT

KD, I see your logic, but this has been a issue for well over 70 years. Long before modern day tech. we have today.

Ghoste

In Ontario they were dong it long before red light cameras came along.  My guess is so if they are waiting in ambush, they have a chance to get a plate as you speed by.

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 24, 2019, 02:12:29 AM
  KD, I see your logic, but this has been a issue for well over 70 years. Long before modern day tech. we have today.

I know that I will seem like a paranoid guy but I hate the fact that the government spends so much time trying to find ways to shake people down and take their money.

will

Keeping prisoners busy, why make 1 plate when you can make two.

ACUDANUT

KD, did you now my neighbors to the east (Missouri) only need one tag on the front of the their Truck.  As a Police Officer, this is crazy.  You can't get a plate Number unless you walk to the front of the Truck.  It's kind of like saying  "okay, you can shoot me now".
Crazy State and Federal rules need to fixed.
BTW I am changing my Screen name to Dixie Dykes. lol

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 24, 2019, 09:06:37 PM
KD, did you now my neighbors to the east (Missouri) only need one tag on the front of the their Truck.  As a Police Officer, this is crazy.  You can't get a plate Number unless you walk to the front of the Truck.  It's kind of like saying  "okay, you can shoot me now".
Crazy State and Federal rules need to fixed.
BTW I am changing my Screen name to Dixie Dykes. lol

Hi ACUDANUT,                               24 July 2019

I like your new name. It has a nice sound when spoken, especially with a southern twang. If you do change it, I'll bet your threads will garner a larger share of views and replies.

You do have a certain charm and I'll bet if'n and when we meet in person we will become good friends.

Take care of yourself young lady.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

TexasStroker

I certainly wish they didn't require a front plate...or at least were lenient on how and where it was mounted.  The aesthetics of many cars are ruined with a rectangle up front.  I know several in law enforcement (city cops, deputies, even State Troopers) and they aren't fans either.  Supposedly doing away with them gets packaged with other stuff and shot down.  Not running the front plate usually greenlights a stop where the officer can then check for other, more serious offenses.  I know a few people that have been given tickets, but it is pretty rare given how often verbal warnings are given out.  This usually comes down to the individual officer and what pressures they have to generate revenue.

The thing that irks me more, at least about Texas, is that you have to have the registration sticker on your windshield.  The registration sticker, aside from leaving residue, has the plate number on it!  In addition to that, they added the county where your vehicle is registered.  That becomes a concern when you are travelling and thieves don't recognize the county, so they assume it is far away and target your car. They know it will be more difficult for non-locals to pursue legal action, comb pawn shops, and ultimately seek justice.  This happens all the time at hotels, malls, movie theaters etc.  I see having the county on the tag as for more detrimental than positive.

The rear plate should be more than adequate imo.

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

alfaitalia

Nearly every other country in the World requires front plates....in the UK its been the law since 1903......long before anyone cared about driving offences and speeding!!!......surely it make sense to have them. If a car ran over a family member (just an example) and you could only see the front, how could you positively identify the car to the Police if he drove down a side street and was gone. The only reason to have plates is to identify the car in the event of an offence (or to check its taxed, safety tested and insured....all done automatically with number plate recognition in the UK)....so the more angles that's possible from the better. That said some cars look better without them!! The police here are have a bit of a crackdown on supercars without front plates (of which there are many in London)...those rich guys like to think they are above the law and just pay the fine. That's why the fine has been increased from £60 (which a Ferrari or Lambo owner could not care less about)....to a more thought provoking £1000 max!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Ghoste

Once they get all the cars equipped with tracking chips this wont matter anyway.  Commit a crime, the satellite deducts the fine from your account or shuts you down until police arrive.

F8-4life

odcics2

Michigan used to have 2 plates.

They saved a ton of money by issuing just one.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

HANDM

Here in Washington state, we a required to have a front plate unless......
There's no mounting provisions or in other words, no place to put it.

I just bought my wife a new Challenger T/A and while it came with a front license plate holder in the trunk, I sure as heck aint gonna drill holes in the front fascia to install it so therfore, no plate!

If she gets pulled over she's gonna say that she doesn't own a drill and wouldn't be able to use it if she did!

Kern Dog

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 25, 2019, 04:00:01 AM
Nearly every other country in the World requires front plates....in the UK its been the law since 1903......long before anyone cared about driving offences and speeding!!!......surely it make sense to have them. If a car ran over a family member (just an example) and you could only see the front, how could you positively identify the car to the Police if he drove down a side street and was gone. The only reason to have plates is to identify the car in the event of an offence (or to check its taxed, safety tested and insured....all done automatically with number plate recognition in the UK)....so the more angles that's possible from the better. That said some cars look better without them!! The police here are have a bit of a crackdown on supercars without front plates (of which there are many in London)...those rich guys like to think they are above the law and just pay the fine. That's why the fine has been increased from £60 (which a Ferrari or Lambo owner could not care less about)....to a more thought provoking £1000 max!!

You like to defend England even though many of the ways of your country don't fly well over here. I appreciate that you stand up for what you believe in but We Americans LEFT your country to be free to do things our own way. Tyrannical, oppressive government was the way then and it seems that not much has changed. Fuck that.
I don't like spying eyes on me. I don't like nosy neighbors. I don't like being shaken down for "revenue".
I like freedom to move around without being bothered. I like expressing my opinion, I like choosing my own health care. I like the freedom to own a gun or 40. I like paying LESS than $4.00 per gallon of gasoline for any one of my 6 cars and trucks. I like sunny days and endless roads to drive on at speeds that I deem to be appropriate. I detest a nanny state that dictates my behavior and my level of safety. When it comes to Government, I say, Keep the terrorists out, respond in a national emergency, provide for the truly poor and disabled and otherwise...leave me the hell alone.

Lennard

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 25, 2019, 10:18:23 PM

You like to defend England even though many of the ways of your country don't fly well over here. I appreciate that you stand up for what you believe in but We Americans LEFT your country to be free to do things our own way. Tyrannical, oppressive government was the way then and it seems that not much has changed. Fuck that.
I don't like spying eyes on me. I don't like nosy neighbors. I don't like being shaken down for "revenue".
I like freedom to move around without being bothered. I like expressing my opinion, I like choosing my own health care. I like the freedom to own a gun or 40. I like paying LESS than $4.00 per gallon of gasoline for any one of my 6 cars and trucks. I like sunny days and endless roads to drive on at speeds that I deem to be appropriate. I detest a nanny state that dictates my behavior and my level of safety. When it comes to Government, I say, Keep the terrorists out, respond in a national emergency, provide for the truly poor and disabled and otherwise...leave me the hell alone.
:2thumbs:

alfaitalia

LOL....great post. Generally (guns aside) we are largely the same as you. We do pay more tax...true but we get more for it! You cant drive at speeds that seem appropriate....you have more draconian speed limits than most of Europe....55mph or many open roads....really! I was going to say that even with all your "freedoms" you still thought it was OK to vote in a sexist racist bigot into the top political job.....but unfortunately we have just done the same!! As least the public did not vote him in only his own party....we will see how that works out. As you say different strokes for different stokes. Of course I defend England......most people will defend their country and claim it to be the best...its quite normal to be a patriotic IMO....and I actually do live in the best country in the world of course!!....well apart from the weather....oh and the overcrowding....and the expensive (most say realistic though!) fuel cost....and the heavy handed traffic policing....and....and....and!!!!

....you guys must realise by now that most of my non car posts are not that serious!!!

Back on topic....you guys without the front plates are in the minority...not the rest of the world!!

Kern Dog

I wish MORE people had a love for their own country and their own people. Self hatred eventually morphs into a hatred of other things.

odcics2

Quote from: alfaitalia on July 26, 2019, 06:31:21 AM

LOL....great post. Generally (guns aside) we are largely the same as you. We do pay more tax...true but we get more for it! You cant drive at speeds that seem appropriate....you have more draconian speed limits than most of Europe....55mph or many open roads....really! I was going to say that even with all your "freedoms" you still thought it was OK to vote in a sexist racist bigot into the top political job.....but unfortunately we have just done the same!! As least the public did not vote him in only his own party....we will see how that works out. As you say different strokes for different stokes. Of course I defend England......most people will defend their country and claim it to be the best...its quite normal to be a patriotic IMO....and I actually do live in the best country in the world of course!!....well apart from the weather....oh and the overcrowding....and the expensive (most say realistic though!) fuel cost....and the heavy handed traffic policing....and....and....and!!!!

....you guys must realise by now that most of my non car posts are not that serious!!!

Back on topic....you guys without the front plates are in the minority...not the rest of the world!!

How long before a vote of no confidence?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Skull-1

Racist, sexist, bigot?

You don't get out much, do you?

SMGDH. 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)

alfaitalia

Quote from: odcics2 on July 26, 2019, 08:34:59 PM

How long before a vote of no confidence?

LOL...not that long I would guess!

alfaitalia

Quote from: Skull-1 on July 26, 2019, 09:32:46 PM

Racist, sexist, bigot?

You don't get out much, do you?

SMGDH. 

Not enough to know what SMGDH meant....had to google it!

Skull-1

Quote from: Kern Dog on July 26, 2019, 05:23:35 PM
I wish MORE people had a love for their own country and their own people. Self hatred eventually morphs into a hatred of other things.

That's just racissssssssss.    /sarcasm

Smitty's Law : Whomever cries racism first loses (or has already lost) the argument. 

Cheers.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6231.0.html

1969 Dodge Charger "Ol' Yeller"
1991 Buick Regal Custom
1992 Buick Regal Custom
1995 Buick Regal Gran Sport
1996 Buick Regal SE (R.I.P.)