News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about making original style wire harnesses more safe

Started by rikubot, August 08, 2019, 08:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hello, I am looking for a way to make my repop M&H wiring harness safer. As I understand, it is built to factory spec and I know the factory wiring to be problematic I.e. melting bulkhead connectors, amp meter issues, fan blower motor wiring meltdowns, etc. I am wondering what I can do to prevent these things and similar problems from happening again.
Thanks,
Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

metallicareload99

In my non expert opinion the factory wiring seems pretty safe and robust as long its connections are clean and tight.  If you were going to stay with a strictly stock wiring scheme the only thing I would add would be some type of fuse on the alternator feed before it goes into the bulkhead connector.  Keep in mind that if you deviate from stock you run the risk of "outflanking" yours and the factory circuit protections.  AMHIK  :icon_smile_blackeye:
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Nacho-RT74

read the stickied thread... the only "unsafe" conections are the Charging circuit ones ( batt and alt ). And understand what the ammeter reading really means
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

b5blue

As built all was safe for an all new car with all new assy's fed by a weak 30AMP Alt. under factory care for the first 12k or 12 months. I tested my entire M&H harness set prior to install. Every inch and every connection I could get to. Tug test and look at all crimps, there are 2 crimps on each wire, one to the copper and one to the insulator plastic. (So you have mechanical and electrical.) I coated all ends with Caig Labs D-100 protect/cleaner and added an 8 gauge parallel feed off my upgraded Denso 120amp Alt. ("Fleet upgrade") with in line 60amp fuse. I use control relays to handle bigger loads anyplace possible. Be certain your wiper motor or any big draw item is in good shape. Have the best ground connections possible. NEVER use the car to charge a discharged battery! Read all of Nacho's very well done posts on all of this!