News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buddy purchases a 69 Charger "restored" for 50k, did he get ripped off?

Started by mrlegoman, August 09, 2019, 08:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrlegoman

Young kid who finished serving his 4 as a Airborne Marine made the snap decision to take all his cash he had earned and "invest" in a classic car. He bought a 69 with a 440 swap (and General Lee paint scheme) from a dealer for 50k. He said he did his research and claims it was a good deal. (Which I'm betting 90% of that research came from the dealer)

He signed back up as a contractor and headed back over to the middle east. Left me in charge of the car to try to sell it. I'm getting offers in the 20k range.  Went ahead and had it appraised by AAG and they came back at 18-24k value.

Car's body work looks ok. Interior is just ok. I call it a 20ft car (looks perfect as long as your 20ft away).
No paperwork.
Missing VIN tags in the front. Dealer claimed they fell off during repaint.
440 has aftermarker eddlebroke carb on it. Aftermarket radiator too. Entire engine painted orange too, which I thought it was suppose to be blue.

And on top all that, the 440 has no power. I mean it's like it's missing 4 cylinders. No pickup at all. I've tried contacting the dealer to find out what makes the car special. They will only email me to say to call them. When I call them the connection is so bad I cannot understand a word their saying. So I'm going down the path that kid was scammed.

My last mopar was a 72 Demon, so I'm not familiar with the Chargers. Is there something I (and AAG) could be missing that makes this car special enough to be worth 50k?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPl0kTv6Q4rDwlp8r5rff-q-Ed-zBq2FNb9Xd8Ll_VjSNt01FSh32PTvh9AoBhh7g/photo/AF1QipMCaF7AhslbyBnpOeWHAErcZMrUPpoMv28SV9FH?key=a1JRTWV0UkNsLTB3ZzFhWHBjNnhYemZ2RGQyWFJ3

All the photo's:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iEWPz9iMkKxtkhGZA

DAY CLONA

He got hosed, was the seller HLPAG Auto Sales aka True Muscle car Auto Sales?

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

bigdsul

50k? From a dealer? Hosed? Yeah I'd most definitely say so. Does he have an idea what lays underneath the paint job?

Mytur Binsdirti

70 sublime

CDN72SE

Definitely not worth what he paid, very unfortunate and air quotes restored is correct.
1972 Charger SE

chargervert

It looks like one of Han's specials,aka True Muscle Cars,I think he is getting better at sculpting Chargers from a Bondo can these days! I hear it gets easier after the first hundred or so that he did!

mrlegoman

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 09, 2019, 08:28:21 AM
or True Muscle car ?
I didn't want to say because I'm still trying to contact them for paperwork and an explanation for pricing. But the fact you mention them off the bat gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach.

mrlegoman

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 09, 2019, 09:16:32 AM
Any pictures of the frame under the car ?
Not yet. Need to get it up on a lift, possibly tomorrow.

70 sublime

Better not stand too close when you take pictures of the bottom side  :eek2:

70 sublime

BrianShaughnessy

It's a non RT 383 car.   XP29H.    I would not think it's worth that kinda $ with the 'resto' in that condition.   Looks kinda halfazz.

Looks like your friend paid high retail for it.    Sorry.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

timmycharger

"He signed back up as a contractor and headed back over to the middle east. Left me in charge of the car to try to sell it. I'm getting offers in the 20k range.  Went ahead and had it appraised by AAG and they came back at 10-24k value"

Not worth 50K in my opinion but also don't think its worth 10K either, I say closer to the 24 number, maybe more.

RallyeMike

If they think its so great maybe you could convince them to buy it back for $40k? Better than a $30k loss  :shrugs:

Sorry to see this.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RallyeMike on August 09, 2019, 01:35:17 PM
If they think its so great maybe you could convince them to buy it back for $40k? Better than a $30k loss  :shrugs:

Sorry to see this.

Good idea. They still make money and could make more.  :2thumbs:
The underside is the real issue, and of course the amount of Bondo used.  Most 440's can be rebuilt under 5K.  
I have seen Junk, Rusted, beat to death Chargers that don't run sell for 20K. So I don't think he won't get raped too bad.
You can tell it was once a green interior. Poor dye and attention to detail.
A lot of members here won't sell there car for under 50K.  :Twocents:

mrlegoman

Quote from: timmycharger on August 09, 2019, 01:30:54 PM
Not worth 50K in my opinion but also don't think its worth 10K either, I say closer to the 24 number, maybe more.
My mistype. That should be 18-24

bigdsul

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 09, 2019, 01:02:42 PM
Fancy web site

http://www.truemusclecars.com/

There it is lmao! HPLAG, classiccars, truemusclecars, etc. Man they always seem to stay ahead of the buyers

bigdsul

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 09, 2019, 01:15:28 PM
It's a non RT 383 car.   XP29H.    I would not think it's worth that kinda $ with the 'resto' in that condition.   Looks kinda halfazz.

Looks like your friend paid high retail for it.    Sorry.

It is half assed. Once you realize that the pics are from a cellphone and only a few pictures of the car all outside shots from a couple feet away or more and it shows what the seller was trying to hide.

ACUDANUT

A 77 W200 pick up for 19K. lol
I had one identical and could only get 2K

Kern Dog

A black engine bay in a car that has been color changed always looks like a CHEAP "restoration" job. If they didn't have the skills or inclination to pull the engine to do it right, I start to suspect everything else.
The body actually looks nice to me. The interior looks okay for a cruiser/driver, not something that has a $50,000 price on it!

Mike DC

A black engine bay is totally correct on a General Lee, though.  They always showed it black (or at least dark) on TV.  In the storyline the car started out black before the Duke boys rebuilt it. 

Hans Ludke's black engine bay?  I'm sure he just did it to hide hackwork. 

Kern Dog

Partly correct...
I recall seeing shows with a variety of underhood colors, different air cleaners, etc.

JB400

Without seeing it in person, I say it's worth half of what he paid.  Several details missing, or need to be done to make it nicer.