News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here is what $5000 buys you.

Started by Kern Dog, August 26, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

All of this was new to each of us at one time. I want to get better at welding patch panels without warpage. A buddy of mine can do it with such skill, the area needs almost no body filler.

kent

I hear you there brother. It just amazes me to watch my guy work the metal. 64 years of dying knowledge.
Kent

Kern Dog

Thanks!
I wish that I had someone nearby that was as interested in these cars as I am. I'd enjoy teaching some young kid what I know.

tan top

:scope: looking good KD ! nice work  :2thumbs:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargervert

The same aspects used in carpentry will also apply as you stated. Square, level,and plumb,its not rocket science. Just like in carpentry, measure twice or more,cut and weld once.

John Milner

Looks great!  Once you get it welded all in there it will probably be better than new.  As good as those panels line up, you know it has to be square.  Using those good original parts also helps too.  You will have also saved yourself a lot of money in the process.  No telling how much someone like hemi-hampton would have charged to do the same thing you are doing.  Great job saving another Charger.

timmycharger

Wow, very impressive work here! Nice job.  :popcrn:

Kern Dog

Thanks for the nice words.
Leon and I have had a few spats recently so I think his grudge carried over to this topic. I asked here what he would have done different and he has not responded. If he has expertise he wants to share, I'm sure we could all benefit from it. I am willing to learn.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 01, 2019, 02:45:17 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 01, 2019, 09:42:17 AM
Quote from: Lennard on December 01, 2019, 08:17:29 AM
Great job  :thumbs:
X2  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
How was everything Leveled and Squared ??
Would you believe that I just got lucky? Nahhhh. Well, I did have some luck but I also measured at several points, measured diagonally and compared it to the other cars. This would have been much more difficult if I didn't have anything to compare it to. My red XP has never been wrecked so it was a great "pattern".
With the frame rails resting against the torsion bar crossmember, I had the front resting on jackstands under the sway bar brackets. I guess some credit goes to a level floor and straight parts. If the car had any twist to it or if the floor wasn't level, I would have had to shim a jackstand or make some other adjustment.
I'm just a rookie at this stuff. I used basic carpentry sense I've learned in wood framing to measure and fit it together.
There have been numerous times in my life that I have tried something new and had a hell of a time fumbling my way through. At those times, I have wondered if I am struggling because I don't know all the tricks or short cuts that the more experienced guys already know.

Won't you be my neighbor ?  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

marshallfry01

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 02, 2019, 04:55:48 AM
Thanks!
I wish that I had someone nearby that was as interested in these cars as I am. I'd enjoy teaching some young kid what I know.

Where are you located? I'd love to learn more about body work/collision repair. 
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Kern Dog

Northern California, East of Sacramento.

Kern Dog

I took some self tapping screws and pulled the panels together that are getting welded.

Kern Dog

I found that with the weld through primer on every mating surface, it was difficult to get clean welds. I tried different settings on the welder but could not get clean, flat welds. It could be my technique but the areas with no primer welded easier.

Kern Dog

I had to grind every weld and use this deburring bit where the grinder could not reach.

GreenMachine

I've had the same experience when using weld through primer. What I do is wire wheel the primer away on the surface to be welded as little as necessary. If there's an area where I can't remove the primer, I start the weld on clean metal, then slowly move on to the primer. It seems the weld puddle burns it away before the weld wire gets there. This works mainly on lap seams or plug welds, you can't do this on areas prone to warping. I am also a novice, so take that into consideration.
  BTW, nice job on separating the panels with the spot weld cutter. My experience wasn't that great, but it was on rusty metal where the spot welds were difficult to see.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Kern Dog

Thank you. This is my first time using this primer. Before, I'd just plug weld then use a primer over everything and either seam seal or body filler to smooth it all over. I've never had any work rust through a weld so maybe this was an unnecessary step?
The left side may turn out better if I can clear the primer off of the areas to be welded. There will still be primer in between the plug welds which should prevent corrosion between the panels.
The spotweld cutter I used was a NAPA store brand. I read before that BLAIR was a popular brand but the NAPA one was only $18 and looked good. The metal on both the Charger and the donor parts was 100% rust free... lucky for me.
I am on the lookout for another front stub from a 66-70 B body. I used this one on this car because it made the most sense and had the best chance of a square and correct repair. I had this stub saved in the event that I wrecked my red car so I need to find another. A Bay Area friend may know of a car near him so I may get lucky there.

chargervert

It doesn't hurt to keep a front clip in case of an accident.  I have an E body clip stashed,and I recently sold a 70 b body front clip to the guy who bought the basket case 68 Satellite convertible project car that I had. I need to pick up another b body front clip myself.  I sold the other clip,because it was starting to deteriorate from being out in the weather.  It was still usable, but it was starting to rust in a few areas.  He used the whole clip,and brought me back the firewall.

Hard Charger

Picked up a H code 72' Demon for $3800 last year.

matching numbers 340 & 4spd, all power, mirrors, TB's, scoop.

Kern Dog

Hard Charger

Kern Dog

Heck yeah...
It seems that a Demon has been the unicorn in my life. I've had 29 A- body cars in all conditions from stripped hulks to running drivers and have yet to own a Demon. I love the Duster styling in them and the slotted taillights.
Good for you, man!   :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Hard Charger

It was complete with some rot too.

quarters, tail and drops. That just got replaced. Going to be mini tubed now.

Even with this work $$ i was fortunate that the value and investment in is very positive. If that is important to you.

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 06, 2019, 02:18:29 PM
Only 29 ?  :o

Yeah....Most were junkers that I parted out. Some were builders that got fixed up and sold. A few were just cars I drove awhile for fun. I still have 5 up the hill and 2 of them actually run and drive!

Hard Charger

KD...very funny

I have 5.

2 are running.