News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here is what $5000 buys you.

Started by Kern Dog, August 26, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Today I finally got back out there and started fitting and welding the two halves together.
First up, I laid the orange side on top of the green one and scribed a line.

Kern Dog

Then I cut the green side 1/2" away from the solid line. This allowed me to use my air powered punch/flange maker to make a recess for the orange half to sit into.

Kern Dog

After some measuring on another valance, I got the tow halves in position and started tack welding them together.
I had to cut today's work short but it looks like a few more minutes of tack welds and grinding and it will be ready for primer and some filler.

TexasStroker

Hadn't seen the thread in awhile...the Charger is coming along nicely...keep it up  :2thumbs:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Kern Dog

Thank you. I hope to have the front end sheet metal on by Sunday night. We'll see.... :cheers:

krops cars

timmycharger

Nice work KD, you should have no problem with that!  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 03, 2020, 12:00:04 AM
Thank you. I hope to have the front end sheet metal on by Sunday night. We'll see.... :cheers:

Ha!
Yeah.....Well, I have had some delays. The last 3 weekends, I have helped an old guy in the car club clear out his stash of early Valiant parts. There is almost no demand for the stuff and he knows it. He just wanted it cleared out.
IT was a good day today though. I got the valance on....

Kern Dog

The valance fits nicely on the right side since the fender is in good shape. The left side doesn't fit as well since the fender needs some hammer and dolly work.

Kern Dog

I was expecting to run into some fitment problems with the Charger panels on a Plymouth stub. So far,, everything fits like original. The valance bolted to the fenders and the lower radiator support and the hood latch support fit right too.

Kern Dog

Finally, the hood !

Kern Dog

I do still need to properly align the fenders and hood but for now, it is close enough.
I'm calling the car J I G S A W since it is coming together in pieces from several different cars. I still don't know it I'll leave it ratty and drive it that way or if I will paint it. One idea was to spray it black with a red stripe, the opposite of my XP Charger.
The grille and front bumper are in!

Kern Dog

The valance looks about like I expected....It fits but is clearly a patch job. That is fine if I keep the car ratty but if I do decide to paint the car up nice, I'll buy a new AMD valance or get a nice used one.
The grille looks grungy but it is complete and has no breaks. It is actually the nicest part of the car!

Lennard

And now it's a 15k Charger. :icon_smile_big:  Great job :thumbs:

Kern Dog

Thanks! It is bonkers what people will pay for these cars. I can imagine bombing around the town in this car looking like this and getting guys offering me $1500 for it!

ACUDANUT

tan top

Looking good ! nice work KD  :2thumbs: :cheers:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargervert

It looks like a complete car again KD,nice work!

WHITE AND RED 69

Nicely done! What's the plan for wheels when you get to them?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Kern Dog

Until I decide what the end goal is, I have some 15" steelies, some 14" Rallyes and have access to some Wheel Vintiques 16" Police car wheels I could use. I may run it like I did the XP before I took it apart to paint.
I have some 11" and 12" front discs. The rear brakes will likely be 10" or 11" drums for now.

darbgnik

Wow, all of a sudden, it's a straight, complete car! Well, minus drivetrain!
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Kern Dog

Yeah, thanks. I do have the original 383 and a few BB 727s out back. I could have this running in a couple of weeks if I wasn't working so much. It sucks that the services that I need are only open at the exact time that I am working. I'd love to get the heads rebuilt and do a dingle ball hone to this 383 but I need to see my machinist and he is across town. I need to get the radiator boiled out too.
I know that once I get into the build, I'll discover several missing things that I need. I already see it has no gas pedal assembly, no gas cap, it is missing one of the wiper pivots, all the underhood wiring is gone...
This Monday-Friday job interferes with my hobby.  :lol:

VegasCharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 26, 2020, 10:44:43 PM.....I already see it has no gas pedal assembly.....

Hey KD, I have a gas pedal assembly, no pedal just the roller bracket that mounts to the firewall. It's yours if cover the shipping from Ohio to No Cal.

As for your '70, IMO for now just get it road worthy, slap some cool rims/tires on it and drive it around for awhile before tearing it down. Leave it multi colored as it is now.

:cheers:

Kern Dog

That might be the plan. It sort of looks like the "Partridge Family" bus but so often, the only time you see these cars out on the road, they are shiny and nice looking. It might be fun to drive around in the "Before" status !
I will PM you, Bryan! Thanks!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: VegasCharger on January 28, 2020, 03:04:48 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on January 26, 2020, 10:44:43 PM.....I already see it has no gas pedal assembly.....

Hey KD, I have a gas pedal assembly, no pedal just the roller bracket that mounts to the firewall. It's yours if cover the shipping from Ohio to No Cal.

As for your '70, IMO for now just get it road worthy, slap some cool rims/tires on it and drive it around for awhile before tearing it down. Leave it multi colored as it is now.

:cheers:

IMO get it running, but paint it all one color. (flat black maybe) ?  Multi colors never look good.  :Twocents: