News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here is what $5000 buys you.

Started by Kern Dog, August 26, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

Nice score, looks like a good project.  Although far and few between these days, there are some good deals on 2nd generation Chargers out there still.  I paid $3,000 for my '68 project 3 years ago.  Wish it was a '70 like yours.   

Mytur Binsdirti

The purchase price reflects it being a 1970. Had it been a '69, the price would have increased by 5 grand and if it were a '68, the price would have increased another 10 grand.

:yesnod:

alfaitalia

Lol...I so wanted to say the same....but was worried I would not make it out of here alive!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

Come on, guys..
The seller admitted that he bought this and his other '70 in 1998 for $500. Yeah, TWO 1970 Chargers for $500!
The other car is a 500 model, a June build. 318-904 like my other '70. He planned on making it a Daytona clone but it will never happen. He has had a long habit of buying cars, hoarding parts then buying another car, hoarding MORE parts. etc.
Today I was there again to clear stuff out of the way. Going back Friday. I should be able to drag it home then.

djcarguy

Was going to post yesterday that it would make a great nascar or drag race, striped down Daytona. Frame pull ,then cut away the bent inner fenders and cage the front like a old race car?  
      Was the 70 polara rusted or to far gone ,for a old blues brother, cop car project ?      :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

That Polara .....
I considered fixing it up to sell but the market on C body cars is not strong. Demo Derby guys try to get them as cheap as possible. It had a rusty trunk floor, rusty roof and needed almost every interior piece since what was there was shitty and a lot was missing. It was a Hillbilly hot rod.
I paid $240 for the car and sold the 383 for $500, the axle was cut down to A-body width and sold for $800, The front discs sold for $100 and the metal was scrapped for $100. I still have some parts from it here.

John Milner

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 27, 2019, 09:51:07 PM
Come on, guys..
The seller admitted that he bought this and his other '70 in 1998 for $500. Yeah, TWO 1970 Chargers for $500!
The other car is a 500 model, a June build. 318-904 like my other '70. He planned on making it a Daytona clone but it will never happen. He has had a long habit of buying cars, hoarding parts then buying another car, hoarding MORE parts. etc.
Today I was there again to clear stuff out of the way. Going back Friday. I should be able to drag it home then.

Heck of a deal in 1998. That's the same year I bought my first 70 charger. It was a non numbers matching 383 and 4 speed. It ran but needed restored. It costed me $200 and a running Honda 90 motorcycle.

Kern Dog

Holy crap!
Imagine how cool it would be to be able to go back in time to grab up all of these cars that you could?
The whole concept of time travel has been interesting to me anyway....Going back to change stuff to improve your life by doing or NOT doing things...

jefferson

Didnt realise 68 69 and 70 chargers varied that much in price, few grand as myturb says.

Looking online all 3 years seem to be around the same mark, maybe the 70 a little cheaper but not much
talking about drivers here.

Kern Dog

Mark likes to joke around about the values of the cars. I am a smart ass myself so I can take jokes and sarcasm as well as anyone can.  :nana:
I do like the '68 models from the outside. The taillights and open grille are great styling cues. The seats and console of the '68 models are not attractive to me though. I like the '70 style door panels as well. I love the open grille of the '70 as well as the taillight trim panel.
Now if you are talking about actual cars for sale seen on ebay, craigslist and other sites, I see many sellers are throwing out some over the top, outlandish asking prices and it seems that each seller tries to over-price the last similar car.
I really wish that I knew how close these people came to getting their crazy asking prices.
This car I just bought went from approx $250 in 1998 to $5000 today. What stock market investment would give you that return? Sure, inflation factors in but what would this car in this shape sell for 20 years from now? More or less?
The 1970 has been really popular with the show car builder crowd. The Fast and Furious movies, SpeedKore, Tantrum...all three have used 1970 Chargers. Not 1969, they picked the 1970 models.
I used to think that the fenders on the 1970 were longer but they are exactly the same length from the point near the door to the edge of the bumper.

chargervert

R.C. knows that is B.S. Years ago it may have been the case that 70 Chargers brought slightly less money than 68/69 Chargers, that is no longer the case. 70 Chargers are bringing the same money these days as their 68 /69 counterparts are. I watch the market very closely.  The Fast and Furious movies have put the 70 Chargers squarely on the map,and they are just as desirable as the earlier versions.

ACUDANUT

Great score. I can't believe it sold so cheap in 98.  It wasn't sold on the internet at the time, that is for sure. Local sales by word of mouth are where the deals are found.
I did not see any engine  :shruggy:?  When you get it home post up more pic's.  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

I do have the original 383 2 barrel and it spins over with a breaker bar. The trans numbers don't match the car though.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 28, 2019, 01:55:39 PM
  The trans numbers don't match the car though.

Well that does it, you grossly overpaid.

:lol:

Kern Dog

Ha...
I might slip in the 727 from my red car. I'm planning on a Silver Sport 5 speed Tremec setup. That will free up a transmission, cooler lines, floor shifter & linkage and the drive shaft.....
I love REpurposing parts. It really helps defray the cost of screwing an old piece of shit together.

chargervert

It looks like you are going to have his and hers 70 Chargers.  This car would make a good Dirty Mary Crazy Larry clone.  Just bolt on a 69 nose. You should have kept that Polara cop car!

ACUDANUT

Does a numbers matching drive train really matter ? It never has to me.  :Twocents:

Kern Dog

To me, the whole attraction to "Numbers matching" really matters when it is in a performance car, a performance model. 383 2 barrel? Nahhh...383 4 barrel in a Road Runner? Sure!
I just think that it is pretty cool when an old car like this is found with the original engine in it.
I still shake my head when I see an ad with the description "Numbers matching 318".

timmycharger

:cheers: Nice score! Did any interior come with it? I see some bucket seats in the background, I know they can be pricey as they look similar to the ones for a 70 Dart Swinger.

Looks like a fun project, good luck!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 29, 2019, 12:00:02 PM
To me, the whole attraction to "Numbers matching" really matters when it is in a performance car, a performance model. 383 2 barrel? Nahhh...383 4 barrel in a Road Runner? Sure!
I just think that it is pretty cool when an old car like this is found with the original engine in it.
I still shake my head when I see an ad with the description "Numbers matching 318".

Very true.  Who gives a rats ass on a Numbers matching 318 or a slant six.

Kern Dog

Quote from: timmycharger on August 29, 2019, 12:26:05 PM
:cheers: Nice score! Did any interior come with it? I see some bucket seats in the background, I know they can be pricey as they look similar to the ones for a 70 Dart Swinger.

Looks like a fun project, good luck!

The car comes with a non original bench seat. Those buckets are for a '70 Challenger. This car has an XH in the VIN, this meant it was the lowest priced 1970 model Charger. To reduce the price and make the car more cost competitive, they built these with bench seats, column shifts, no console, no tach, no tail panel trim and the biggest engine available was a 383 2 barrel with single exhaust.

Stevearino

Great car. When I clicked on it I totally expected it to just be a roof with the rest of it looking like it had been soaking in a swamp. I have seen cars like this with asking prices of over $10,000.00 Having the floor pans intact alone is crazy for that price. Good on you to come across it. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Thank you.
It is tempting to just flip it for double the money but for now, I am looking forward to the challenge.

chargervert

Quote from: Stevearino on August 29, 2019, 07:29:01 PM
Great car. When I clicked on it I totally expected it to just be a roof with the rest of it looking like it had been soaking in a swamp. I have seen cars like this with asking prices of over $10,000.00 Having the floor pans intact alone is crazy for that price. Good on you to come across it. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

You gotta love Chargers from the southwest! I have four of them, they all needed some metal work, but nothing like the New England cars that I am used to fixing!

Challenger340

For $5K imo you did pretty darn good !   Frame pull, whatever, still very salvageable candidate.
Only wimps wear Bowties !