News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here is what $5000 buys you.

Started by Kern Dog, August 26, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

With the door off, I was able to see some cracks in the jamb where the striker is mounted.
How do you guys restore cars without a welder? How the hell did I used to do it?

Kern Dog

The blackish door is in much better shape than the white one aside from the kink at the edge.

Kern Dog

A little hammer and dolly work.....

Kern Dog

The panel gaps need improvement. I'd need to slot/oval some mounting holes to move the fender rearward.

Kern Dog

The door needs to come up a little.

Kern Dog

The fender still needs to come out a little in the middle.

Kern Dog

In the past, when I have had panels that had larger than ideal gaps, I tacked on welding rod on the edge.

Kern Dog

The fender sure meets up with the valance better. Overall, it will take a lot less work to look right compared to the white fender.

Kern Dog

The car is FK5 originally, Burnt Orange metallic.
Currently, the trunklid and back half carry the most of the original paint.

Kern Dog

Maroon fender, green hood, green LH door, orange and green valance and a green LH fender with crappy spray bomb black over it...

timmycharger

:cheers: Looking great, thank you for the updated pics!  :2thumbs:

cdr

Great progress , lookin great !!!!!!!  :coolgleamA:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

ACUDANUT

Paint it all flat black, if you can't afford a paint job.  :Twocents:

Kern Dog

Thanks, guys.
I can afford to paint it but I don't want to. I have a shiny one. I like having an ugly one too. No stress over dirt or scratches.
I will not drive the car in "Primer" either. It just isn't what I like to do,
Once I start final bodywork on it, the car will be apart. When my red car was ratty, I got all sorts of people wanting to stop and talk about it. Ratty cars that run strong attract my kind of car guys.....the ones that actually work on their cars instead of the guys that take their cars to a shop to get new wiper blades.

lloyd3

Very cool! A driver in the best sense.

ACUDANUT

Kern Dog, don't get mad, but it looks really tacky having 4-5 different colors on a car. Peace

Kern Dog

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 27, 2023, 02:01:32 PM
Kern Dog, don't get mad, but it looks really tacky having 4-5 different colors on a car. Peace
Ha...That is the point. I want it to look like something that was pulled out of a junkyard and thrown together back in the 80s.

lloyd3

Considering what complete POS cars are going for at auction these days, having a car that looks honest and perhaps...somewhat familiar is kind-of neat. Really takes me back, which I like.

$5000 doesn't buy this anymore...

Working from home and it's colder than ?$#! today, with even colder coming. Winter can really suck here sometimes.

Kern Dog

Winter is a pisser.
It isn't that cold here but it sure isn't like how it is in the Spring. Man, THAT is my favorite time of the year.

lloyd3

KD: 6 degrees above here today and you can't differentiate from the horizon or the snow on the ground.  Unusual here (normally blue sky).

Your comment on Spring rings true here for me too. In Pennsylvania (where I came of age) many rural roads have a canopy of deciduous trees closing in on them. In May, the greenery is fresh light-green and bright(!) and is quite enchanting (after a long, dark, and cold winter which is then usually followed by a very wet early Spring). But....in May, when the sun comes out and the flowers start to pop everywhere, then it's time to drag the cover off of your car, check the fluids, add some air to the tires, wipe off the dust, and dump a cup of gas in the carb.  You climb in, drop all your windows, light the engine and head out for a tour of things. That is indeed magical!

Sadly, not much deciduous action here in Colorado...

Kern Dog

lloyd3

KD: I have a big mouth and they slip right out (i.e., Big Time by Peter Gabriel).

Kern Dog

I remember that video...creepy! They used stop action animation which makes the video look notchy and choppy.
Back on point....
As a kid, I always loved the Summer. We had a boat and Dad would pack us all up for a day at the lake. At home, we often had a pool and got to swim from May to October if we wanted.
As I grew up and joined the work force, I still liked Summer for the long days. I was a house framer for most of my career and loved it. Working outdoors was a great fit for me. The smells of wood and concrete were a daily thing and I enjoyed it.
After the housing market tanked in 2007, the company I worked for lost their construction contracts with a few home builders. We had to adapt and ended up switching to commercial work. This meant boots, pants, shirts and hardhats all the time. In residential housing, we could wear shorts, gym shoes, sometimes shirtless and no hats unless we wanted the shade. Working for years in shorts made it difficult to me to adapt to wearing more clothes. I suddenly felt more restricted, more bogged down and of course, hotter and uncomfortable. Summers now meant I'd be a sweaty, stinky mess at the end of the workday. SPRING was still great though. Longer daylight hours, warmer weather and the Winter was in the rearview mirror.
The last 10 years or so, Spring has represented the end of the cold weather and the start of better times. I feel alive, motivated and inspired when February comes and the daytime highs are consistently over 65 degrees.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html