News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AUTO TO 4 SPEED ON SUPERBIRD

Started by B54SPEED, September 06, 2019, 01:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B54SPEED

Quote from: B54SPEED on September 06, 2019, 01:45:19 PM
I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer so in your opinion
on a numbers car would hurt, help or would the value stay the same
if a guy converted a auto on the floor to a 4 speed ?

Ok wasn't completely honest with the question what if it was this car and it already had a color change

Alaskan_TA

The car looks awesome just as it is.

To me for any limited production car that has made it 50 years with its original drive train intact, I'd show it some respect & leave it that way.

gtx6970

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 18, 2019, 02:03:14 PM
The car looks awesome just as it is.

To me for any limited production car that has made it 50 years with its original drive train intact, I'd show it some respect & leave it that way.

^   agreed

70Sbird

I'm going to say that "it depends"  :shruggy:
My car was born a Column Auto bench seat car. the original drivetrain has been MIA since the early 1980s. It has been converted by it's previous owner(s) into a console 4-speed with bucket seats using all factory parts and even a 3.54 geared Dana 60. My car is a real Superbird but it's driver quality and does get driven regularly. My car would be on the low end of the food chain simply by being a Column Auto, regardless of the fact that it's not kept it's original drivetrain. It now has a 500 CID stroker 440, a 4 speed and a Dana. I believe that these mods wont hurt my cars value and the 4-speed may actually increase my value compared to an original non numbers Column/bench seat car
Just my $.02  :Twocents:

Scott Faulkner

Aero426

Quote from: 70Sbird on September 23, 2019, 02:47:31 PM
I'm going to say that "it depends"  :shruggy:
My car was born a Column Auto bench seat car. the original drivetrain has been MIA since the early 1980s. It has been converted by it's previous owner(s) into a console 4-speed with bucket seats using all factory parts and even a 3.54 geared Dana 60. My car is a real Superbird but it's driver quality and does get driven regularly. My car would be on the low end of the food chain simply by being a Column Auto, regardless of the fact that it's not kept it's original drivetrain. It now has a 500 CID stroker 440, a 4 speed and a Dana. I believe that these mods wont hurt my cars value and the 4-speed may actually increase my value compared to an original non numbers Column/bench seat car
Just my $.02  :Twocents:

"I want a column automatic", said no one ever.  

If you sold your car tomorrow, there is some built in value because your car has been built to drive with popular options and is ready to drive.   Because it is already out of the rarified air of a low miles survivor, there really is no harm done.    :cheers:

Aero426

Quote from: B54SPEED on September 18, 2019, 01:50:06 PM

Ok wasn't completely honest with the question what if it was this car and it already had a color change

In the case of Disco,  the car is already a rock star with a known identity.    I would not change a thing.    Restoring this car would be like Kiss performing without makeup.   

mopar346

Of course I don't play in that market but I'd pay a whole lot more for Willie's car as raced than as it or any other came off the show room. :Twocents:

I love day 2 cars and I love original or correct cars, I really don't care for half done cars.

Alaskan_TA

That car should be preserved as is.

odcics2

Quote from: B54SPEED on September 18, 2019, 01:50:06 PM

That car?   Don't even add air to the tires!!      :lol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

B54SPEED

Gee wiz you guys aren't  making this easy  :scratchchin:
So going back to Hemi Orange is out of the question  :shruggy:

Redbird

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on September 23, 2019, 08:19:47 PM
That car should be preserved as is.

Says a person who likely has absolutely no interest in a future purchase of your car, either with a 4 spd or column auto. Same with all his friends.

We seem to have created a hobby where the only value perceived is all original, all paperwork, yet the column auto cars are viewed as so far down on the pecking order as to be viewed as nearly worthless. Some people seem to want them kept, but only as a marker to raise their desirable cars as most high.

Quote from: Aero426 on September 23, 2019, 05:21:55 PM
I'm going to say that "it depends"  :shruggy:
Just my $.02  :Twocents:

"I want a column automatic", said no one ever.  

If you sold your car tomorrow, there is some built in value because your car has been built to drive with popular options and is ready to drive.   Because it is already out of the rarified air of a low miles survivor, there really is no harm done.    :cheers:

For a non numbers car, Doug has a good insight IMHO.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Redbird on September 24, 2019, 08:00:41 AM

We seem to have created a hobby where the only value perceived is all original, all paperwork

We the enthusiasts created the hobby, the speculators that got into it merely created the perception of only "all original, all paperwork" vehicles as having supreme value/desirability to keep the tier system of pricing simple and to eliminate the many multiples/complexities in pricing that a modified vehicle warrants.... and the sheep in the hobby bought into the perception created

What" true automotive enthusiast" would prefer having a column auto over a 4 spd?  :scratchchin:

Mike

Alaskan_TA

QuoteSays a person who likely has absolutely no interest in a future purchase of your car, either with a 4 spd or column auto. Same with all his friends.

We seem to have created a hobby where the only value perceived is all original, all paperwork, yet the column auto cars are viewed as so far down on the pecking order as to be viewed as nearly worthless. Some people seem to want them kept, but only as a marker to raise their desirable cars as most high.

Well for the record, I have three here with column shift automatics - so far & they will stay that way.

All 4-doors too.

I buy what I like & enjoy. As far as 'desirable' goes, I love my 4-doors but I am not opposed to two doors at all.

And....... two different pals recently bought a 500 & a Superbird. Another pal is stopping by here on his way to the wing car meet next month. Both Superbirds are column shift. :-)

gtx6970

Quote from: DAY CLONA on September 24, 2019, 11:03:18 AM

What" true automotive enthusiast" would prefer having a column auto over a 4 spd?  :scratchchin:

Mike

I for one would take a column auto over a 4 spd car  any day, any car, any time

Maybe Im not a true enthusiast ?,,,,ummmmmmmm doubt that

Alaskan_TA

Any 'true auto enthusiast' respects the cars unique history.

Column shift or any other shifter type is not a limitation for any TRUE enthusiast.

A biased enthusiast though? Perhaps.

Redbird

A crew cab sedan or station wagon I would be happy to have as an auto on the column.

A non numbers 2 door is for fun. The correctness police are welcome by me to keep their own cars as they please. Many of us don't buy all the self righteous preaching. Life is too short to not lighten up.

alfaitalia

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 24, 2019, 05:53:33 PM

Mike

In my opinion (and it's nothing more than that) you need to define the sort of enthusiast. An enthusiastic collector of the marque would want it all original (that's not me...but it's cool). But a real driving enthusiast..people who like the thrill of driving regardless of car type and make...people who will go out early in the morning (to avoid traffic) just to practice there car control skills (steering from the rear, finding the limits of traction, beating their time through their time through their favourite collection of turns on a country lane etc etc) will always want a manual for ultimate car control.
Before you disagree (which is fine) bear in mind I live in the UK where autos have never sold in big numbers (usually 10% or less...which is even more pertinent considering our very busy roads and city traffic levels...but we still want manuals). Auto are usually seen as the lazy option and driven by old people or those that would, four whatever reason, physically struggle with a manual box. Out of the thirty something cars I've had only two have been auto.....my Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee and my Audi A8 4.2 V8.....both of which were never available as a manual which is a pity as both would have been better with slick 6 speed...especially when off road in the Jeep where the auto was pretty hopeless...
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

DAY CLONA

Quote from: alfaitalia on September 25, 2019, 01:38:47 AM
Quote from: gtx6970 on September 24, 2019, 05:53:33 PM

Mike

In my opinion (and it's nothing more than that) you need to define the sort of enthusiast. An enthusiastic collector of the marque would want it all original (that's not me...but it's cool). But a real driving enthusiast..people who like the thrill of driving regardless of car type and make...people who will go out early in the morning (to avoid traffic) just to practice there car control skills (steering from the rear, finding the limits of traction, beating their time through their time through their favourite collection of turns on a country lane etc etc) will always want a manual for ultimate car control.
Before you disagree (which is fine) bear in mind I live in the UK where autos have never sold in big numbers (usually 10% or less...which is even more pertinent considering our very busy roads and city traffic levels...but we still want manuals). Auto are usually seen as the lazy option and driven by old people or those that would, four whatever reason, physically struggle with a manual box. Out of the thirty something cars I've had only two have been auto.....my Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee and my Audi A8 4.2 V8.....both of which were never available as a manual which is a pity as both would have been better with slick 6 speed...especially when off road in the Jeep where the auto was pretty hopeless...

I thought most would get the "true automotive enthusiast" quote, but yes the enjoyment of driving a manual transmission vehicle, not the "collector" type that polishes the dust off his garage queen numbers matching paint daub...

I've never seen anybody over the decades that when buying/looking at a performance vehicle opened the door and jumped for joy and hooted that it had a column shifted auto.... even an auto on the floor was barely acceptable

odcics2

If you like a "high dollar collectable" with a stick, buy one that way and enjoy it. 

If you can't, make a clone to your specs and enjoy at as a simple machine.

What we did back when the cars were pretty worthless can't be the same as when a car was $2,570.,
and now is worth $175,000.  (example is my first Bird.)

Well, unless you have money to burn!!!   

moparstuart

Comes down to if your more worried about the Money  , or truely enjoying the car  .  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

Quote from: moparstuart on September 25, 2019, 08:28:54 AM
Come down to if your more worried about the Money  , or truely enjoying the car  .  

That's the "money to burn" part.....   :Twocents:

Plenty of stick cars out there!!   Even autos already converted!!!   :drool5:

Here's a nice car to drop a 455 4 speed into!!!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/tricities-pitt-maple/time-capsule-1966-parisienne-with-12-xxx-orig-miles/1445209077?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

A13

Now I'm getting confused here.  Tell me which ones are doing the self righteous preaching?  Is it the ones who are so insecure they can't stand to be seen in a column auto?   :rotz:  Or the ones that say cut it up it's just a toy?  :brickwall:

Never mind, same crowd!

Do you guys pick on little kids and animals as well?

A13

I'm going to say that "it depends"  :shruggy:
My car was born a Column Auto bench seat car. the original drivetrain has been MIA since the early 1980s. It has been converted by it's previous owner(s) into a console 4-speed with bucket seats using all factory parts.

I believe that these mods wont hurt my cars value and the 4-speed may actually increase my value compared to an original non numbers Column/bench seat car

No it hasn't.  The charger seat upholstery and the bench seat door panels really make it look like a patchwork job.  It would be worth more to finish the change correctly, and look WWAAAYYY better.
Just my $.02  :Twocents:

odcics2

Nice we can all express our opinions.  :cheers:

chargervert

I don't blame him for wanting the 70 Charger bucket seats in his Superbird, they were by far the best factory seats Chrysler ever put in any car from the era. Not every car has to be OEM correct. There are plenty of pure stock examples out there to look at.