News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket AC system

Started by runningman, September 10, 2019, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

Car is in the body shop now, I'd like to have an aftermarket AC system installed.  It's a 68 non factory ac car, not sure if any additional holes need to be drilled in the firewall but if so obviously would like to have this done before paint.  What do you guys recommend and will the firewall need to be modified?  If not I can wait on this until a little later.  Thanks!!  Matt

timmycharger

I have a Classic Auto Air system and they give you a template of where to drill the holes on the firewall. Do you already have a system bought? If not then you will have to carefully do it after paint is completed. Its possible, just be careful.  :Twocents:

runningman

My car probably won't be done for six months or so.  I haven't decided on which system yet.  The car is stripped right now so I can have them take care of it at the shop.  There are two different systems available?

green69rt

Quote from: runningman on September 11, 2019, 07:23:47 AM
My car probably won't be done for six months or so.  I haven't decided on which system yet.  The car is stripped right now so I can have them take care of it at the shop.  There are two different systems available?

I think there are two vendors, Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air.  Vintage Air also sells through Summit Racing and others, probably cheaper.  I have a Classic Air system, only available thru them.  I would caution against making firewall holes till you have the system in hand.  Sometimes the holes are not exactly where the vendors say they should be.   Making holes after paint is not that hard. just get a hole punch, sometimes called a chassis punch.  My opinion is that the Classic Air system works better and is better design but more expensive.

https://www.classicautoair.com/mopar_air_conditioning_mopar_ac/

https://www.vintageair.com/

Lennard

Quote from: green69rt on September 11, 2019, 08:03:05 AM
I think there are two vendors, Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air.  Vintage Air also sells through Summit Racing and others, probably cheaper.  I have a Classic Air system, only available thru them.  I would caution against making firewall holes till you have the system in hand.  Sometimes the holes are not exactly where the vendors say they should be.   Making holes after paint is not that hard. just get a hole punch, sometimes called a chassis punch.  My opinion is that the Classic Air system works better and is better design but more expensive.

https://www.classicautoair.com/mopar_air_conditioning_mopar_ac/

https://www.vintageair.com/
Chris/cbrestorations has been installing a bunch of Vintage air systems in Chargers lately, including mine... and he says it's the better of the two. So it's just a matter of opinion.

b5blue

I'm using Classic on my 70. Look closely at both for things like controls, how things are routed and look done. I'm thinking they work similar by the time your done. Have you got the whole heater system installed? My car had A/C so I reused the factory duct outlets.
  Having hacked the dash center panel for my AM/FM USB CD player the CD just clears the new A/C controller going in or ejecting.

GT

There is also Restomod Air - which is essentially same company as Classic Air and offers more upscale/bling components.  They are located next to each other in Dallas.  I was just there last week picking up a set of billet vents.

My question for you is how custom or stock you plan to have it look?  If it was a non-A/C car then you'll be missing the center air duct.  You may to consider how to handle this.  Finding the padded lower dash piece that has the center A/C vent will be difficult at best.

As was said you will find many opinions on which is best.  I was planning to use Vintage Air but i am now re-thinking it as I like the control options from Restomod Air more...  I don't think you'll wrong with any of them.  I do know that the Vintage Air unit isn't really serviceable (you can't open/unbolt/split the case).  Not a big deal as they should last a long time anyway.

I would suggest calling each to get more info. I would also recommend you go with a bulkhead fitting for the a/c and heat lines. Much cleaner install.  I hid mine under the fender.  In reality you could drill the mounting holes and cut for the bulkhead after paint if you want - just will need some touch up.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

runningman

Wow, thanks everyone.  Looks like I have some more research to do.  I'm keeping everything fairly stock looking.  I'm not sure how they handle not having existing vents that the factory AC cars would've had.  I'll have to look into this also.  I'm assuming both systems replace the stock heater boxes?

GT

Yes.  A couple vendors offer "perfect fit" systems that should make it easier as well.

This picture shows you the center dash piece.  Top is 1970 and plastic.  Bottom is 68/69 and padded.
There are other bits and pieces behind it as well...
2012 Charger SRT8

green69rt

Quote from: GT on September 11, 2019, 10:14:23 PM
Yes.  A couple vendors offer "perfect fit" systems that should make it easier as well.

This picture shows you the center dash piece.  Top is 1970 and plastic.  Bottom is 68/69 and padded.
There are other bits and pieces behind it as well...

So, is the bottom piece available? Could't find it before.  Some want several hundred for it if you can even find it.

GT

Ive seen both the 70 and 68/69 reproductions available.  Both in black and NO A/C.  you may have to find used and have them recovered.  Think i found mine on eBay. 

If there is a vendor selling repro ones for A/C i have yet to find it (I would like the 70 version myself).
2012 Charger SRT8

green69rt

Quote from: runningman on September 11, 2019, 09:58:56 PM
Wow, thanks everyone.  Looks like I have some more research to do.  I'm keeping everything fairly stock looking.  I'm not sure how they handle not having existing vents that the factory AC cars would've had.  I'll have to look into this also.  I'm assuming both systems replace the stock heater boxes?

The side vents are mounted in holes in the dash and a non-AC dash can be cut to hold them.  Problem is finding the actual vent assembly to stick in the hole.  The center vent is another animal.  Like someone else said, no repros are being made, last I looked.  If you can find an original they are going for big bucks.  Otherwise you are stuck with hanging the vents under the dash.

Here's a pic of my dash.  Originally a non-AC dash.  Cut the holes at the sides and found a set of vents to use.  The center vent is not stock looking at all but, I think, better than hanging underneath.  I had two center pads, so I sacrificed one as an experiment.  Result is shown.

b5blue

Classic has 70 style (only) center vent panel and vent part #'s 066-110 and 2-2066FA-3. Hard plastic with no inset for ignition switch it may work for 68-69 if modded. The vent set (pair) has no shiny finish on the edges. What I liked was knowing Classic had an office in Tampa and serviced everyone. Years before I'd bought a small Heat-A/C box (pre internet) and they really helped and cared about my plight. (I was frozen in VA. then.)
 If your servicing A/C in Tampa you can swing it anywhere. When Dallas found out I was near Tampa they shipped my stuff to the Tampa shop free as part of normal truck freight between retro and restore shops. When picking up my stuff we went through my order and they swapped out a few things specific to my exact situation for free and later were on the phone anytime needed. I never looked at VINTAGE as Classic had an over 20 year track record and I was not about to risk saving a few hundred after sweating my butt off driving my 70 for so many years.  :2thumbs:
https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1970-dodge-charger-air-conditioning-system  (Click on the description box at the bottom of the page to see 70 center vent panel.)

will

I have the classic in my 68, as mentioned above the center register is different in appearance. You should be careful about the drain placement for the box because it may not line up with the map provided in the instructions. There's another thread Kerndog has going about plumbing the engine compartment and compressor placement, something to think about. He went the route with ordering the kit with hoses and fittings, so he could route everything and get the hoses made up locally.

4cruzin

This is good info here as I too am considering a cool air kit for the car . . . hmmmm   :scratchchin:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

runningman

Quote from: green69rt on September 12, 2019, 07:26:39 AM
Quote from: runningman on September 11, 2019, 09:58:56 PM
Wow, thanks everyone.  Looks like I have some more research to do.  I'm keeping everything fairly stock looking.  I'm not sure how they handle not having existing vents that the factory AC cars would've had.  I'll have to look into this also.  I'm assuming both systems replace the stock heater boxes?

The side vents are mounted in holes in the dash and a non-AC dash can be cut to hold them.  Problem is finding the actual vent assembly to stick in the hole.  The center vent is another animal.  Like someone else said, no repros are being made, last I looked.  If you can find an original they are going for big bucks.  Otherwise you are stuck with hanging the vents under the dash.

Here's a pic of my dash.  Originally a non-AC dash.  Cut the holes at the sides and found a set of vents to use.  The center vent is not stock looking at all but, I think, better than hanging underneath.  I had two center pads, so I sacrificed one as an experiment.  Result is shown.

Wow, nice job!  And I thought this was gonna be an easy decision lol.  Maybe I'll look for a different center pad to use to do this, mine is pretty mint and would hate to hack it up and trash it.

runningman

Thanks everyone!  I'll look into the 70 kit and see what I can figure out.  Does anyone have the vents mounted under the dash?  If so any pics??

b5blue

Look on Classic's site, lots of picks!

runningman

runningman

Quote from: GT on September 11, 2019, 06:58:53 PM
There is also Restomod Air - which is essentially same company as Classic Air and offers more upscale/bling components.  They are located next to each other in Dallas.  I was just there last week picking up a set of billet vents.

My question for you is how custom or stock you plan to have it look?  If it was a non-A/C car then you'll be missing the center air duct.  You may to consider how to handle this.  Finding the padded lower dash piece that has the center A/C vent will be difficult at best.

As was said you will find many opinions on which is best.  I was planning to use Vintage Air but i am now re-thinking it as I like the control options from Restomod Air more...  I don't think you'll wrong with any of them.  I do know that the Vintage Air unit isn't really serviceable (you can't open/unbolt/split the case).  Not a big deal as they should last a long time anyway.

I would suggest calling each to get more info. I would also recommend you go with a bulkhead fitting for the a/c and heat lines. Much cleaner install.  I hid mine under the fender.  In reality you could drill the mounting holes and cut for the bulkhead after paint if you want - just will need some touch up.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Have any pics of your installation?  I do like the idea of installing in the fender.  The Restomod system is quite a bit more than the others though, curious as to the differences.  I sent an inquiry but haven't received a response yet.  Thanks!

Kern Dog

I picked Classic Auto Air mainly because of the control panel. I wanted an all electric system and the CAA site had clear information. A buddy with a 69 Coronet had their system so I figured I'd buy from them.
As stated, I ran into some obstacles along the way. I detailed them in my thread in the Engine section. One thing that annoyed me about cars with A/C was how cluttered the engine bay looked whether it was factory A/C or aftermarket. I considered the low mount where the compressor sits below the alternator but that meant a switch to an electric fuel pump....a move I didn't want to do.
I went with the regular position for the compressor. It looks right at home there too.
I did not like the way they chose to run one of the hoses from the condenser in front of the radiator. They had it going across the engine from the battery side to near the right side hood hinge. I chose to bend up hard lines and run them across the core support and back along the RH fender apron. I think that it looks much cleaner than their way.
Crimping the rubber hoses into the fittings can be done at a shop, at home or you can send them back to CAA for them to crimp for free. I borrowed a crimper and did a mediocre job. I hope they don't leak!
Good luck.

AKcharger

Grrrrr No custom 3rd Gen set ups. is the E-body the same?