News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiper switch kills engine

Started by Dodgerdallas, September 22, 2019, 02:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Ok heres probably a new one-when I turn on the wipers the engine wants to die,turn it off immediately and the motor remains running,also when the switch was out and I activated it I got a good jolt as if I had grabbed the spark plug wire...bad ground??
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Gold Rush

Bad ground was the first thing I thought of.  Quick check with a multi-meter will confirm one way or the other...   Did you disconnect the wiper motor to see what happens?  Might shed some light on the situation.
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

John_Kunkel

Rather than a bad ground, I would think a high current draw (short circuit) in the wiper circuit is killing the ignition feed. Kinda like the recent "radio goes off in Reverse" thread.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

green69rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 23, 2019, 01:34:52 PM
Rather than a bad ground, I would think a high current draw (short circuit) in the wiper circuit is killing the ignition feed. Kinda like the recent "radio goes off in Reverse" thread.

Agree, it sounds more light an unwanted ground in the wiper circuit.

b5blue

What:
Car
coil
ignition
otherwise crap plug wires and 1/2 dead battery? Voltage at the coil? Ya gotta give more to go on if ya really want help.

Dodgerdallas

Found the problem, the previous owner had the ignition wire hooked to the positive on the wiper motor so when it was activated the engine would want to die for lack of juice, found another power source and now everything's peachy, thanks for the responses,(the patient ones anyway).
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Nacho-RT74

I just opened this and thought on that exactly as soon i really paid attention( sorry, was lazy to read it before ). Somebody could say to the last owner ignition must be feeded from blue wire on engine harness and located the blue wire arriving to wiper motor... wrong! The blue circuit on wiper is to reverse the wiper motor up to the parking position and keeps hot while wiper is off. As soon you turn on wiper, the blue wire power is cut.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html