News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why all the concern and banning vaping???????????????????

Started by odcics2, October 02, 2019, 10:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

13 deaths nationwide...

Smoking "regular cigarettes" causes 500,000 deaths a year.   No calls for action.   :shruggy:

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

alfaitalia

....obvious....they don't make anywhere near the tax on vaping that they do on ciggies (I'm assuming that's the same over there). Smoking ( like guns over there....another big killer) are entrenched in society so difficult to attack without offending lots of voters. You know that if tobacco was discovered tomorrow (as against a few hundred years back) then it would be banned and illegal at least to the same extent as cannabis. Like lots of things....if enough of the people do it for long enough then rightly or wrongly it becomes the norm.

....slightly different ....but I realised the other day that Ive not seen anyone smoking a "real" cig for ages. The governments (pretty gruesome) anti smoking campaign here in the UK must be working!!....well that and them averaging about £10 ($12) for a pack of 20 these days. I've never smoked....horrible habit. Plus...if I smoked and destroyed my lungs I could not possibly afford to drink and damage my liver!!! :smilielol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

b5blue

It's the newest "thing" to rage against. (To try and get reelected.) Last month it was banning guns. (Instead of banning bullying.) I wonder how that banning big gulps thing worked out. Let's ban fat people from buying food, you don't sell booze to a drunk right?  Damn kids vaping Kool Aid too much!  :lol:

birdsandbees

Learn to clean you equipment to avoid a bacterial lung infection, nobody likes green water in a bong either !  :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

timmycharger

I get the idea of vaping as an alternative for a long term smoker who doesn't want the tar along with their nicotine fix but the people who are getting sick seem to be people who are using vape pods from the black market, at least that is what I have read.

We call the vape pens douche flutes around here for a reason..

odcics2

Quote from: timmycharger on October 02, 2019, 02:22:15 PM
I get the idea of vaping as an alternative for a long term smoker who doesn't want the tar along with their nicotine fix but the people who are getting sick seem to be people who are using vape pods from the black market, at least that is what I have read.

We call the vape pens douche flutes around here for a reason..

:rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:

Kern Dog

The media is a mess. The people that you see on TV and hear on the radio are merely paid actors and performers. They speak what they read and the people in control LOVE to scare and worry the population with whatever they can use.
Ever tune in to multiple news stations and hear the same headlines being spoken? THIS is because NEWS is a business and the media owners often use a prepackaged formula that they sell to the various media markets. It is essentially a script. You can hear the same basic report from multiple sources.
Remember the Zika virus? Bird Flu ? Asian Flu ? E. Coli on lettuce?
It is all bullshit. Put it in perspective: How many people are killed each week by aspirin? How many die by hospital mistakes? How many die riding a unicycle, a lawn mower or a skateboard?

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: alfaitalia on October 02, 2019, 10:59:57 AM
....obvious....they don't make anywhere near the tax on vaping that they do on ciggies (I'm assuming that's the same over there). Smoking ( like guns over there....another big killer) are entrenched in society so difficult to attack without offending lots of voters. You know that if tobacco was discovered tomorrow (as against a few hundred years back) then it would be banned and illegal at least to the same extent as cannabis. Like lots of things....if enough of the people do it for long enough then rightly or wrongly it becomes the norm.

....slightly different ....but I realised the other day that Ive not seen anyone smoking a "real" cig for ages. The governments (pretty gruesome) anti smoking campaign here in the UK must be working!!....well that and them averaging about £10 ($12) for a pack of 20 these days. I've never smoked....horrible habit. Plus...if I smoked and destroyed my lungs I could not possibly afford to drink and damage my liver!!! :smilielol:

Guns are not a big killer.

stripedelete

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 02, 2019, 10:25:28 PM
The media is a mess. The people that you see on TV and hear on the radio are merely paid actors and performers. They speak what they read and the people in control LOVE to scare and worry the population with whatever they can use.
Ever tune in to multiple news stations and hear the same headlines being spoken? THIS is because NEWS is a business and the media owners often use a prepackaged formula that they sell to the various media markets. It is essentially a script. You can hear the same basic report from multiple sources.
It is all bullshit. Put it in perspective: How many people are killed each week by aspirin? How many die by hospital mistakes? How many die riding a unicycle, a lawn mower or a skateboard?

Ya, but what about the Optigrab?

Kern Dog

alfaitalia

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on October 02, 2019, 10:37:30 PM
Quote from: alfaitalia on October 02, 2019, 10:59:57 AM

Guns are not a big killer.

Well not in comparison to smoking with about 480,000 deaths in the USA last year that's true enough....but 30,000 plus people is a lot of people no matter which way you look at it....only about 10,000 less than die each year crashing their cars over there. I was surprised to find we have about the same percentage of smokers as the US....roughly 15%....I always assumed you would have more.....not sure why really....Hollywood influence I guess!!!! We also have roughly the same percentage of deaths of that 15% dying directly as a result of smoking.... and about 50% percent of all smokers will have there lives significantly shortened or heath seriously affect by smoking....same as here. Quite scary really (unless you are a nicotine addict of course....in which case logic goes out the window and you wont care less....like any other addict!!!) :D

alfaitalia

Quote from: stripedelete on October 02, 2019, 10:39:25 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on October 02, 2019, 10:25:28 PM

Ya, but what about the Optigrab?

Lol.....had to google that one!!

odcics2

alfaitalia

About a quarter of all those deaths came into the category of "other"! Cant think of many ways to go that would not be covered by the named categories...strange!

krops cars

If you want to smoke buy a pack. If you want to jet high roll a joint. Are we that lazy we need electronics for that to.

alfaitalia

LOL....I don't think lazy comes into it. Generally its thought they are less bad for you....and over here (UK) they are a fraction of the price if real ones....next to no tax by comparison. Cost of cigarettes here is made up of between 80 and 90% tax and goes up by 2% over inflation each year to discourage smoking. Smoking puts a massive strain on our health service....so make the stupid people pay at least a bit extra towards it. (and lets face it, to pay lots to do your body harm is stupid....no getting away from it!!!). At the moment vaping only attracts the 20% vat that almost every thing else you buy gets.....But this is going to change with an introduction of an extra 5% tax on top of this...which could raise an extra £40m a year for our heath service...all good. Whilst looking up those figures I found a study that recons vaping is about 95% less harmful than smoking....still breathing in shit though....

Canadian1968

I am partial to the "control" thing. Cannabis  is big and its coming fast . There are lot of people against it, older generations that fear the "Devils lettuce" . Big companies mainly pharmaceutical ones that know cannabis is going to have a major impact on their industry .

A drug that can help relieve pain, nausea,  depression, anxiety,  help cancer patients on many different levels , help reverse or aid many "autoimmune " diseases.  With pretty much no side effects or overdose what so ever........ oh wait vaping is killing people all of sudden  , how convienant the " safest" way to consume is now dangerous ! 

Just as more and more states / countries start to leaglize it , this " fear " is brought into the main  stream media , and focued on relentlessly!   The horror of today's instant information or news, how fast it can spread. But also makes it harder to keep the truth hidden as well !

alfaitalia

Pharmaceutical companies wont care....they are supplying it. The only legal cannabis over here is the prescribed variety which is supplied by those very companies. Normal stuff is illegal here...but only class B or C (IMO it needs to stay illegal too.....funds too much organised crime) so unless you are a dealer the cops etc turn a blind eye to it.....would take way to many resources to deal with it. Its legal over the Channel in Holland but only in certain regulated premises (cannabis cafes mainly). Long term psychological effects of prolonged cannabis use have been hard fact for many years now so keeping it under control and only for those that really need it to control pain etc is the way forward.....imo of course

odcics2

Quote from: alfaitalia on October 04, 2019, 03:10:08 AM
Long term psychological effects of prolonged cannabis use have been hard fact for many years now so keeping it under control and only for those that really need it to control pain etc is the way forward.....imo of course

Paul McCartney is a life long user. Appears OK for an old guy.    :2thumbs:   :Twocents:

Last LP debuted at #1 in US last year.  Not bad, IMO.   :cheers: 

Perhaps the ones that had effects would have had them anyways??   :shruggy:

nvrbdn

Ok, gona throw my thoughts in here. You wonder why all the hoopla over a few deaths compared to the cigarette smokers deaths. These people getting these lung problems and death are occurring after as little as a few months of using the vape compared to years and years of smoking cigarettes. I don't feel that the tobacco companies are causing this to get their customers back. I don't think the medical world is just wanting to cause problems. But if they are seeing a true problem with these people, they are wanting to find out what the ingredient is that is the common denominator with all these people and remove it from the mixture so we don't end up with thousands of people that will be handicapped for the rest of their lives. What will that cost the tax payers when they all demand disability because of the vapes?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

odcics2

Add it to this cost...  (figures are from 2016)

"The total economic cost of smoking in the US is estimated at more than $300 billion a year. This includes nearly $170 billion in direct medical care for adults and more than $156 billion in lost productivity due to premature death and exposure to secondhand smoke."