News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time change AKA: Daylight savings

Started by b5blue, November 03, 2019, 01:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

So retired now this is my first full year clock shifting has no effect on my daily doings. (If it don't matter when/if I go to sleep how could it!  :lol:) I've never found it to be any advantage only a hassle, even the years of working outside in construction that were mostly daylight dependent. I'd heard the Florida Legislators had made an effort to end all the clock swapping here only to find out the morons were attempting to retain daylight savings 365 days a year. (It would require Federal approval and we know they are all much too busy Hamster wheeling in D.C. for that.) So other then delaying Christmas morning one hour and tormenting normally nocturnal teens in the school year right before they take the most important test of there young lives (SAT) has anyone a positive for this subject?     

Nacho-RT74

Being I'm in Spain at this moment ( In Venezuela there is not a time change being close to the Ecuator line ) I think yes, I can see a positive subject on this specially saving early at mornings because all the school and jobs begings more less at the same time with more day light ( less time with bulbs on ), not so much becoming night depending on your kind of life, but works ( specially offices ) and schools are already closed to that moment of the day
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BrianShaughnessy

Daylight savings time begins in the spring and it just ended.   We're now on standard time in the eastern time zone.

I hate standard time.   I'd rather have the clock ahead 365.  I don't care about the morning hours... I'm going to work anyway.   When I get home I hope for a bit of daylight so I can do something.   
I suppose I suffer from SAD - seasonal affective depression aka winter blues.   :-\

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

green69rt

IIRC daylight savings was started during the first oil crunch to save energy.  I don't know how it was supposed to do it.  It has really become a PITA.  Just go 100% one way or the other, just quit jerking us around!

71charger_fan

The dog gets his dinner at 5. Today, he started giving me the stare down at 3:45. At 4:40 I gave in and fed him. His tummy clock didn't change.

tan top

Quote from: 71charger_fan on November 03, 2019, 07:35:30 PM
The dog gets his dinner at 5. Today, he started giving me the stare down at 3:45. At 4:40 I gave in and fed him. His tummy clock didn't change.

that funny  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

73chgrSE

Dark at 5:30 pm sucks no matter how you slice it. :Twocents:

70 sublime

Quote from: tan top on November 04, 2019, 07:20:02 AM

that funny  :yesnod:

We are on a dairy farm and the cows were not happy this morning at all
I did not sleep in much yesterday morning so things were kind of happening at the same time as day before
I slept in this morning and got up 5:45 according to the clock for my regular time of 5:45 to get up
Most of them were standing at the door looking at me when I went in the barn as to say what the heck are you doing ?? ( they are all usually laying down when I get there)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

b5blue

You guys should post video, this is funny!  :lol:

krops cars

I also love a little light when I get home. This way you can do something outside if you must.

alfaitalia

The clocks went back an hour here too last Sunday...they recon it makes a measurable difference in accident rates when people dont drive to work in the dark....but not so much when they drive home in the dark...hmmm.

These are the official reasons...for the UK at least:

Reducing energy consumption for environmental reasons
Having longer evenings to support leisure and tourism
Encouraging people to exercise more outdoors
Reducing road accidents.

However...

In March 2019, the European Parliament backed a proposal to end the practice of changing the clocks in European Union states. If the proposal is adopted, EU nations could change the clocks for the last time as early as 2021.

....which may or may not effect us ...depending whether we decide to follow them...as we (probably) wont be in the EU by then.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

NHCharger

I like DST. During June sunrise is at 5 AM, if DST was abolished it would be at 4 AM. Most people get to work between 7 -9 and home by 4-6. The extra hour of light after supper was always a big plus for me. It gave me the extra hour for yard work, bike riding with the kids, walking the dog, car cruise, etc....
I have worked construction my entire life. Many towns have an ordinance you cannot start any outdoor construction before 7 AM. When I was building houses we would try to start early in the morning if we were shingling a roof during the summer to try and beat the heat and avoid damaging the roof. I had the police show up twice and shut us down.
I just finished building a 83 key hotel. Even thou we were in a commercial zone there was one dickhead who would always call the cops. I was on a first name basis with every cop in Kittery, Me by the end of that job.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

chargerbr549

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on November 03, 2019, 04:40:56 PM

I hate standard time.   I'd rather have the clock ahead 365.  I don't care about the morning hours... I'm going to work anyway.   When I get home I hope for a bit of daylight so I can do something.  

Here in Vegas we are the very east end of the Pacific time zone which I think sucks, plus we are in a mountain valley so our sunlight gets cut a little shorter than would be otherwise.  I would rather stay on Daylight savings time and leave it that way or do basically the same as Arizona which is in the Mountain time zone and they don't observe Daylight savings time.

b5blue

For me it was mostly the change. The worst was when a single dad with 3 kids, me working construction. The change would interfere with bed/wake timing and that screwed up the kid's circadian clocks.

odcics2

Quote from: green69rt on November 03, 2019, 07:33:02 PM
IIRC daylight savings was started during the first oil crunch to save energy.  I don't know how it was supposed to do it.  It has really become a PITA.  Just go 100% one way or the other, just quit jerking us around!

You're close.  Actually in 1970, before the gas crap, on "426 hemi" day!!

Apr 26, 1970 - Daylight Saving Time Started
Sunday, April 26, 1970, 3:00:00 am local daylight time instead. Sunrise and sunset were about 1 hour later on Apr 26, 1970 than the day before.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

green69rt

Quote from: odcics2 on November 09, 2019, 12:12:39 PM
Quote from: green69rt on November 03, 2019, 07:33:02 PM

You're close.  Actually in 1970, before the gas crap, on "426 hemi" day!!

Apr 26, 1970 - Daylight Saving Time Started
Sunday, April 26, 1970, 3:00:00 am local daylight time instead. Sunrise and sunset were about 1 hour later on Apr 26, 1970 than the day before.

I just got an education on DST (Daylight Savings Time)  Read the Wikipedia post.  This stuff has been going since 1895!  I specially like the part that says the senators from Idaho voted for DST because of the premise (not proven) that fast food restaurants sell more french fries ( made from Idaho potatoes ) during DST.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Kern Dog

Quote from: green69rt on November 09, 2019, 03:43:23 PM
  This stuff has been going since 1895!  I specially like the part that says the senators from Idaho voted for DST because of the premise (not proven) that fast food restaurants sell more french fries ( made from Idaho potatoes ) during DST.

There were NO fast food restaurants in 1895, man...don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Nacho-RT74

could this be considered as "fast food" ? LOL

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

yea....mine is the same way...even waking me up earlier now....might take a while for her "clock" to reset

Bryan

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 10, 2019, 02:23:13 PM
Quote from: green69rt on November 09, 2019, 03:43:23 PM
  This stuff has been going since 1895!  I specially like the part that says the senators from Idaho voted for DST because of the premise (not proven) that fast food restaurants sell more french fries ( made from Idaho potatoes ) during DST.

There were NO fast food restaurants in 1895, man...don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Yeah, I get that.  The Idaho senators voted on the 1970 bill.  Still. just one example of why things happen in our congress.

Kern Dog

Kern Dog

Okay....My style can be hard to interpret sometimes.   :2thumbs:

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 13, 2019, 01:03:00 AM
Okay....My style can be hard to interpret sometimes.   :2thumbs:

Not your style, text messaging is easy to misunderstand.  That's why I try not to take offense when using it.  On to DLS.