News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3D Printed Fender Tags

Started by Dano 1, November 13, 2019, 04:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 500

well thats my opinion and I believe its a waste of time , realistically if he sells a 100 ill be surprised. and kern dog im glad you have seen some light .

FastbackJon

The plastic tags look cool and won't rust. However...

1) Making a false tag to display on your car doesn't feel right. Some people find interest at shows in looking at how other cars are optioned from the factory and assume they are looking at factory tags. I look at other 1968 Chargers for example to see when they were built and how they were optioned to use as a reference for making my car original. The 1968+ cars don't have the punch card service that the earlier ones do to verify original options so that increases fraud potential.

2) If you are worried about tag theft, a pair of long stainless phillips machine screws and lock nuts with washers would still look original from the top and keep someone from just backing the screws out to grab the tag.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

TexasStroker

Didn't think of the key fob route...that is another good use for them.

Outside of other Charger people, which are pretty rare among most crowds, the most interest I see in tag readers is someone trying to knock someone else's car.  Every show has that one guy who scans his phone real quick to figure out what letter of the VIN designates the motor etc., and then proceeds to stand by said car and let everyone know it is "fake" and "not real" while his prized buick skylark continues to draw no attention.

Color, motor, and trans...that is what 95% of people will figure out and then gripe/gloat about.  Don't believe I've ever had anyone come up and ask about any other singular option.  Is that a...1-HEMI, 2-Six Pack,  3-R/T, 4-real 440, 5-really the factory color?  That sums up almost everything.  You don't get many, "So I noticed this is an H51 car, but you don't have air conditioning installed...why is that?" or "Tell me more about the heavy duty suspension!"

I still like the tags as a novelty for a lot of us, and just a genuine fill-in for cars that don't have the tags, or have tags that are in terrible shape. The OP printing display/repop on them should ease the mind of anyone concerned.  I'd still lean towards fake codes and rude messages for gawkers, but that is just me.  "NOT A NOVA" would be a nice plug-in for the Duster  :lol:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Kern Dog

Not a Nova....That is a classic.
A buddy had a 71 Challenger. He'd get people complimenting him on his Camaro or Firebird.
Nobody seems to mistake the Charger for a Chevelle BUT I do hear THIS:

TexasStroker

That is one perk with the Charger...it tends to avoid disparaging comparisons.  The Charger/Challenger thing has become increasingly more common the last 10 years.

The Duster has been called a nova so many times I don't even correct people anymore...I just smile and die a little inside, lol.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Ghoste

Its better than being called a GTO.

Homerr

What if part of the deal was that Dano 1 published each tag he made on a website (or here) if the buyer didn't provide a photo or pencil rubbing of an original tag?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Homerr on March 27, 2020, 12:45:26 PM
What if part of the deal was that Dano 1 published each tag he made on a website (or here) if the buyer didn't provide a photo or pencil rubbing of an original tag?

That opens a sticky door for the following 1: The tag/registry Nazis fixation with another individuals personal information and what they do with it, 2: violating an owners confidentiality by publicly posting it, 3: losing a sale because an individual will not agree to those terms, regardless of their intent with the tag, or the nature of the information on it

Keep in mind there is no legal ramifications regarding a fender tag, bogus or not, the fender tag does not legally define the vehicle, that is left to MSO's, VIN tags and titles

v21hemicharger

Years ago at MATS in vegas there was a guy who had a machine that was making 2/3 size fender tags perfect for key chain.  I bought one for My Demon Sizzlers but didn't have any tag info for other cars.  Never saw him again.  I'd pay $20 each for 2/3 size key chains.

gtx6970

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on March 16, 2020, 06:48:24 PM
Earlier you said;

QuoteI really don't want to have any association with anyone even attempting to fraudulently represent a car

Now you say;

Quote from: Dano 1 on March 16, 2020, 03:51:28 PMI'm thinking $40 for a pair of tags (one for the car & one for the wall or just a backup) and can be customized to show any combination of options, original or not.

So pick one or the other, the second option leads to fraud.  :Twocents:

with a plastic fender tag ? really ?
these things aren't going to fool anyone .

I might be interested in one just to put on the car .
maybe add a line across the top stating
' Copy of the original tag thats stored for safe keeping '

DAY CLONA

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 29, 2020, 10:27:41 AM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on March 16, 2020, 06:48:24 PM
Earlier you said;

QuoteI really don't want to have any association with anyone even attempting to fraudulently represent a car

Now you say;

Quote from: Dano 1 on March 16, 2020, 03:51:28 PMI'm thinking $40 for a pair of tags (one for the car & one for the wall or just a backup) and can be customized to show any combination of options, original or not.

So pick one or the other, the second option leads to fraud.  :Twocents:

with a plastic fender tag ? really ?
these things aren't going to fool anyone .

Agreed, they aren't going to fool any auto enthusiast serious in purchasing a vehicle with one, regardless of how well they're made... but any time you mention any paperwork or tags, etc, etc of any type being reproed either for replacements or novelty, the "Anti repro Document/Tag Nazis" come oozing out of the woodwork to condemn any and all actions along with tales of doom and gloom, legalities, ethics and other sky falling prophecies  

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: v21hemicharger on March 27, 2020, 10:08:29 PM
Years ago at MATS in vegas there was a guy who had a machine that was making 2/3 size fender tags perfect for key chain.  I bought one for My Demon Sizzlers but didn't have any tag info for other cars.  Never saw him again.  I'd pay $20 each for 2/3 size key chains.

Yeah I bought one for my Charger a long time ago through the mail I believe.  Forgot the guys name..
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

A key tag one would be a nice novelty to have also.

Dano 1

Great discussion everyone, progress has been slow with the day job and all the virus issues but I've been working on coming up with a final design I'm happy and comfortable with.

I think what I've decided on is a combination of "Display Only" and my website at the top of the tag to denote the intent/nature of the tag. It'd be pretty darn hard for anyone to remove this language without trashing the rest of the tag, the material is pretty hard and doesn't typically cut clean.

The larger, display plaque style tags are a neat idea and may work better on my FDM printer vs. the resin but I'll give both a shot. I really like the keychain idea as well, those could easily be made with the same process as the full scale versions so I'll work on mocking one of those up as well.

1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

TexasStroker

Quote from: Mopar Nut on April 06, 2020, 04:19:37 PM
Looks great!

x2!  Looking forward to the progress on key fobs and plaques!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Kern Dog

Great work. I do like the smaller font size for the DISPLAY ONLY.  :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: FastbackJon on March 25, 2020, 11:55:54 PM
The plastic tags look cool and won't rust. However...

1) Making a false tag to display on your car doesn't feel right. Some people find interest at shows in looking at how other cars are optioned from the factory and assume they are looking at factory tags. I look at other 1968 Chargers for example to see when they were built and how they were optioned to use as a reference for making my car original. The 1968+ cars don't have the punch card service that the earlier ones do to verify original options so that increases fraud potential.

2) If you are worried about tag theft, a pair of long stainless phillips machine screws and lock nuts with washers would do the trick.

"2) If you are worried about tag theft, a pair of long stainless phillips machine screws and lock nuts with washers would do the trick.
[/quote]"   Use rivets. Plain and simple.[/b]

Tom68

May I offer another perspective?

A potential buyer that is fooled by something so obviously different than anything else on the car, (texture, material, color, etc) can be fooled by any number of things.

Given a corrupt seller trying to deceive,  he wouldn't need a fender tag. 

It just seems the combination of a "Charger-naïve" buyer and a corrupt seller will end in fraud with or without a fake fender tag.  Any buyer with even a casual knowledge of Chargers will not be fooled by that tag.

I like the tag idea and once my 68 R/T is restored and running, I'd definitely be interested in one.

66FBCharger

Quote from: Dano 1 on April 06, 2020, 04:13:01 PM
Great discussion everyone, progress has been slow with the day job and all the virus issues but I've been working on coming up with a final design I'm happy and comfortable with.

I think what I've decided on is a combination of "Display Only" and my website at the top of the tag to denote the intent/nature of the tag. It'd be pretty darn hard for anyone to remove this language without trashing the rest of the tag, the material is pretty hard and doesn't typically cut clean.

The larger, display plaque style tags are a neat idea and may work better on my FDM printer vs. the resin but I'll give both a shot. I really like the keychain idea as well, those could easily be made with the same process as the full scale versions so I'll work on mocking one of those up as well.

I like it. I would buy one!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Dano 1

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone! I am working on generating a structured order form for these and once that's done I'll start taking orders for anyone interested.

I played around with a keychain version and I think 2/3 scale works the best. Obviously the "Display Only" language would be removed on these, otherwise I think they look pretty neat.

1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

keepat

Receive my new fender tag today and could not be happier! Great job Dan, Thank you!
Pat

ACUDANUT

WHY DO WE NEED THE ALFABIT ON THESE. ARE WE ALL RETARTED. :shruggy:

Homerr

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 09, 2020, 08:33:34 PM
WHY DO WE NEED THE ALFABIT ON THESE. ARE WE ALL RETARDED. :shruggy:

FTFY, so yes.   :pity: