News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger RT - AAR six pack hood - explanation please

Started by rollo1504, December 31, 2019, 03:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollo1504

Hey folks,

I am also, beside upgrading the brakes, looking for the AAR six pack hood.

On their webpage I could find the adequate six pack hood for my pearl but unfortunately I did not understand the difference in the meaning between between bolt on and lift off.

Is "lift off" the factory style where the hood will be kept in position by springs?
Is "bolt on" that the hood only can be bolted on or completely removed?

Please someone may explain me that in other words.

And can someone also recommend some hood latches in good quality or are all the same?

Thanks

Regards

Roland

kent

You got it Roland. But backwards.  No springs at all with the lift off hood. Just like the 69 1/2 Super Bee 6-Pack. You will need the pins and a set of brackets to go on the fire wall or the inner fenders up near the cowl in order to bolt the pins to the car up there.  The pins go on the inner fenders near the radiator support around the same place where the engine bonnet bumpers are up front. More or less. No latches or locking mechanism required. Just the pins.
Do you have clearance issues that you need the extra height?

Where is this place with the lift off hoods?? Oh never mind just found them. Not too bad a price on them.

Nice example of a lift off hood on this 69 RR. Found the picture doing a image search.

Kent

krops cars

Kern Dog

No. The 66-70 Chargers had no special hoods, no Fiberglass, no scoops either. The '71 was the first year they had any type of fresh air systems.

Lennard

ACUDANUT

krops cars

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Lennard on December 31, 2019, 11:28:52 PM
Quote from: krops cars on December 31, 2019, 04:37:32 PM
Charger had this?
Mine now has a 6 pack hood scoop.

I have a 6-pack scoop hood on my 70.  I also have the original one non molested. It's been on the car for 30 years. :cheers:

rollo1504

Quote from: kent on December 31, 2019, 05:05:38 AM
You got it Roland. But backwards.  No springs at all with the lift off hood. Just like the 69 1/2 Super Bee 6-Pack. You will need the pins and a set of brackets to go on the fire wall or the inner fenders up near the cowl in order to bolt the pins to the car up there.  The pins go on the inner fenders near the radiator support around the same place where the engine bonnet bumpers are up front. More or less. No latches or locking mechanism required. Just the pins.
Do you have clearance issues that you need the extra height?

Where is this place with the lift off hoods?? Oh never mind just found them. Not too bad a price on them.

Nice example of a lift off hood on this 69 RR. Found the picture doing a image search.

Hey kent,

No I do NOT have clearance issues but

1. I really like the six pack hood and think she looks pretty cool on a 68 charger
2. a high benefit is the fresh air when driving and especially the possibilty to escape the hot air when hot and in park as my 505 stroker produces a lot of heat under the hood.

Regards

Roland

timmycharger

Prior to restoring my Charger, I had the six pack hood on mine. I bought mine from AAR but it was around 1999 -2000 and I had to buy the scoop and hood separately and then glass it in.

Mine used the factory hinges, but I got lighter springs to change to.  I didn't have a latch installed in my hood, not sure if I could have put one in, I suppose anything is possible.  I used hood pins on the hood bumper bolt area and two more on the black panel above the headlights since my hood started to crack in a few spots from the front of the hood wanting to come up.  This was because I severely weakened the area around the front of the hood because I insisted on having working directional lights in the hood and had to cut huge holes. Big mistake there lol...

I love the look of that hood, it may go back on someday but I might modify it to accept a latch and I have to fix the giant holes I made first!!

krops cars