News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauges

Started by Chargerfreak, January 19, 2020, 04:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerfreak

Hi, i know this subject has been gone over a million times, but i still have questions.

On my 68 Charger.

The fuel, oil press, temp gauge used to all work untill i had a big shortage,
i replaced all under hood wiring plus new male and female bulkhead connectors.

Now still no signs of life on those 3 meters.

I installed a new solid state voltage regulator and i do measuse 5 volts at outgoing post.

Fuel gauge,
5 volts at sending unit
When i ground the gauge at sending unit connector, the gauge would only move up to the "E"
Then i grounded the gauge at the back of the gauge and still only to "E"

Temp gauge
No voltage at sending unit
Also no voltage passing through meter

Oil pressure gauge
5 volts at sending unit
Gauge peeks all the way grounding it.

Does this tell me the fuel and temp gauge are dead?

Thanks,
Chris.

b5blue

Senders are variable resistors to ground. Think about it, the engine has 2 and it's grounded also the fuel sender requires a ground strap at the rubber hose in the rear by the axle.

Nacho-RT74

grounding sender end wire should get you on max reading to all gauges... and even pass over the max reading by a tad, because max reading on senders is on 10 ohms rate and ground it will take 0 ohms. Not a problem really
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chargerfreak

So, replace temp and fuel gauge right?

Chris

b5blue

Is the cluster removed from the car? If so try this: Take a pair of 1.5 volt battery to make a 3 volt tester and touch + and - to the gauge. 3 volts should move the gauge 3/5ths sweep more or less.