News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedo Gauge:

Started by Captain D, January 23, 2020, 03:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hey y'all,

A quick question, if I may ask please - last summer, my 69' Charger speedometer gauge gave out. I first tried replacing the cable with a high-end unit (since the original looked ancient anyhow). Everything installed perfectly. However, we believe that it's the gauge itself since the needle (magnetic component?) merely rests at the 6 o' clock position & only moves up slightly at higher RPMs. I've been relying on the cell phone app for overall speed range, lol...

Anyhow, I can pull the cluster as a winter project to repair the issue, but how best to proceed from here? In other words, is there anything that I can do 'at home' or is it best to *carefully* simply ship out the entire cluster to one who specializes in these repairs? I called around my local area, but no one wants to touch it. Any ideas what I can do to either make the repairs myself, anyone in particular you recommend I contact, and what the general cost is to have this done?

If it's too much, I've been eyeballing the digital gauges when the prices come down,😉. Thank you for any and all info! 👍

70 sublime

Does your odometer counter still work as it should ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Captain D

Hey man - yeah, everything else works just fine (fine as far as factory gauges are concerned & can be, lol) ~ including the odometer reading. I've been holding off on removing the cluster, but I need to get after it I reckon' & it's like ripping off the band-aid to get it over and done with...

WHITE AND RED 69

You can try to grease the cable but it sounds like it is toast. I'd pull the speedometer and send it over to Shannon at Redline Gauge works. They do top notch work and can rebuild it.

https://redlinegaugeworks.com/
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

XH29N0G

It is not difficult to pull the cluster and replace it, but there are a few steps I would read about first.  If I can do it, you should be able to as well.

There is a thread on here (I'll see if I can find it) about dropping the cluster and repairing the various gauges.  One thing I learned the hard way was to lay a towel on the steering column to avoid scratching it.  I also learned that everything comes out nicely, no forcing and if I was forcing something I was doing something wrong.

Let me see if I can find the thread I am thinking of and I'll post it.  maybe someone will beat me to it.

Look through http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37999.0.html

I bought a new speedo and put in.  I know redline (mentioned above) has a good reputation

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Captain D

Thank you for the link - I'll be sure to check it out. As for the cable, it works just fine now...the gauge itself is the culprit needing repaired...