News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiring to the coil ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, January 29, 2020, 05:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I tried to start my 68 with a 440  and it cranks well but wont start.  The green wire from the ballast resistor is going to the negative side of the coil and the wire from the distributor is going to the positive side of the coil. ( DO I have them backwards ) ?????   With a volt meter and key on I got  4:88 volts going into the coil and  .28  going out on the positive side.   Thanks..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

A383Wing

the wire from ballast resistor should go to the positive side of the coil. Should be blue if I remember....could be green.....

wire from dist goes to negative side of coil.....should be black, if you are still running points

Bryan

BLK 68 R/T

green...I think green is the voltage regulator wire to field on the alt.?

Nacho-RT74

Depending on the setup you have but trying to imagine what you could made per your description:

Ballast green wire is on 4 prongs setup, should be traced red and runs to ECU to feed it on a secondary source they get ( to 5 pins modules, not used on 4 pins modules thought ). If you have single ballast and 4 pins module, this wire won't be used or plugged anywhere.

Positive lead of coil should get a blue thick wire if pre 70 setup, and brown wire if post 70 setup. Both setups spliced into ballast with another brown wire coming from ign switch. The difference on the color change is the mech/electronic regulator change since 70, along with the single or dual field alternator, just to not run two blue wires allong the engine harness with different signals or voltage levels.

Negative lead of coil should get a black wire traced yellow if elec ign ( coming from module of course ), and a black wire coming from dist if points.

Green wire runs to alt field on any alt ( dual or single field ), coming from regulator. The difference is on pre 70 this is the only wire running to alt field and drives positive and on post 70 drives negative and is accomplished with a blue wire also to feed the other field with positive coming from ign switch.

Now what you got of all of these?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Thanks gang,  I did have the wires switched on the coil and little difference. 

Nacho, This is a points distributor and the wires seem to be in the right position by your description. I am going to have to start at square one with confirming TDC, the firing order and go down the list from there.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser