News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd Gen ALT Gauge question...is it time to fix?

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, February 02, 2020, 12:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

On my 73'Rallye the ALT Gauge stays pegged to the right when turned on. Then center when off.
New alternator, battery,cables,starter & voltage regulator are all good.

So, should next step be taking the cluster off and checking the back of the ALT Gauge ?
How do I do the conversion? New gauge and bypass the stock ALT gauge somehow?

I tried to read the one sticky...I need the super easy  broke down version.

Now, I did at one time have an issue with my ignition switch. Replaced it & did not fix the ignition. I had to wire a toggle from the starter to the relay under the dash for the car to start. The ALT gauge was fine long after I did that. Just had to rule that out...
Any help would be awesome!

Nacho...hello...hello...I think you maybe can help !
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Nacho-RT74

I wouldn't say is an ammeter failure but whichever other reason around... and since you are telling got some issues latelly, IMHO It's time for a DEEP check on your wiring system. It's allmost 50 years old buddy!!!

and yes, this could become on a complete check on every wire, conection etc... which needs patiente.

Not discarding the ammeter, that would be another device to check, but, who knows. No need for replace but some mantenience &/or easy fix.

No need to be scared about get it deep on electrical which in fact uses to be cheaper than a bigger failure later. But is true it takes time
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BMOTOXSTAR

Yeah Nacho, like you say it is almost 50 years old. Like me LOL ! Yeah I am going to just take the time and check all the wiring to be safe. So happy I did not smoke the dash cluster or worse !

You have been helping me for over 10 years man ! Thank you ! You are the 73-74 King in my book ! :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT