News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drum brake booster/ disc brakes. ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, February 24, 2020, 04:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Will a drum brake booster work with disc brakes or not ? I just don't want to do the same job of replacing the booster twice. :shruggy:  Thanks.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

In general, no.  All the factory drum boosters were single-diaphragm.  All the disc boosters were dual-diaphragm.  This is true across the various lines - A, B, C body, etc.  Now, having said that;  lots of guys have went to disc with a drum booster and reported no issues, from what I have read.  My car was factory power drum.  I went to A body disc abnd the pedal "feel" was odd.  I sent me 69 booster offf to Dewey & Co and the pedal feel was completely different, better, than the drum booster.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Bronzedodge on February 24, 2020, 07:54:29 PM
In general, no.  All the factory drum boosters were single-diaphragm.  All the disc boosters were dual-diaphragm.  This is true across the various lines - A, B, C body, etc.  Now, having said that;  lots of guys have went to disc with a drum booster and reported no issues, from what I have read.  My car was factory power drum.  I went to A body disc abnd the pedal "feel" was odd.  I sent me 69 booster offf to Dewey & Co and the pedal feel was completely different, better, than the drum booster.   :Twocents:

So you sent out YOUR booster and had this place modify it right ?  I put 12 in. manual rotors on mine and while it isn't hard to stop I would like to get it equal to our daily sleds so I am thinking of getting one of those repro boosters dual units if there is a question on the drum boosters.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

Not modified - just restored.  You can go the repo or aftermarket route - but the repo Bendix units have a different opening size, which requires a repo firewall plate with a matching hole.  And it's all China crap.  I'd rather have rebuilt American stuff that's good quality than a reproduction that will fail in a year.   And I'd rather keep a guy with a stellar reputation like the guys in Portland working. 

Sorry, ranting a bit.   That and I like the original look of the 66-69 Bendix booster.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/
Mopar forever!

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Bronzedodge on February 24, 2020, 09:45:26 PM
Not modified - just restored.  You can go the repo or aftermarket route - but the repo Bendix units have a different opening size, which requires a repo firewall plate with a matching hole.  And it's all China crap.  I'd rather have rebuilt American stuff that's good quality than a reproduction that will fail in a year.   And I'd rather keep a guy with a stellar reputation like the guys in Portland working. 

Sorry, ranting a bit.   That and I like the original look of the 66-69 Bendix booster.

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/

No ranting there man, its stuff I don't know. If a rebuild will do it so much the better. I never had a problem with this booster before but you say the pedal felt strange ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 24, 2020, 09:58:03 PM

I never had a problem with this booster before but you say the pedal felt strange ?

It wasn't right, the travel or something was off witht he drum booster.  I swaped to a '69 disc booster that was from a rusty parts car.  I sent it to Booster Exchange in Oregon to replace the rubber diaphragm and seals, etc.  Stuff was over 40 yrs old and I could see age had taken it's toll.  I'm just saying, if you can find an original disc booster - it might be less hassle to get it redone, vs an aftermarket.  Either way, if you have a drum booster now, I believe it will function better with a disc booster.
Mopar forever!

Nacho-RT74

In general, no.  All the factory drum boosters were single-diaphragm.  All the disc boosters were dual-diaphragm.  This is true across the various lines....

My 74 and most of 73/74 got the Midland Ross booster which is single diaphragm. Of course disc, since disc become standard since 73
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 25, 2020, 05:58:29 PM
In general, no.  All the factory drum boosters were single-diaphragm.  All the disc boosters were dual-diaphragm.  This is true across the various lines....

My 74 and most of 73/74 got the Midland Ross booster which is single diaphragm. Of course disc, since disc become standard since 73

Nacho,my son has a 74 Challenger,don't know the name of the brake booster but it only stops a little better than my 500 which is manual discs right now. :o
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Nacho-RT74

Mine is the stock one, provided by Midland Ross. Some cars got the Bendix one for whatever reason, but mostly 73/74 ( and even earliers, still being drums ) got the midland ross single diaphragm.

I don't get the relation made between disc or drums against single or dual diaphragm.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html