News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood turn signal lamps, bulb housing fitment?

Started by Jonas_N, April 29, 2020, 07:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas_N

It looks like the bulb housing should be pressed in all the way to the bottom edge of the bulb housing.
But there is no chance for the entire housing to fit as the inner part barely fits.

Am I missing something or is this just another example of repop junk?

kent

That piece in the back ground on the right hand picture... is that a retainer to hold the bulb housing tight? If so use it. Snug it up and let her pound. If your worried about moisture seal it up with a o ring. Will keep the vibration at a minimum also. So the hole is smaller than the lip on the bulb housing yes?

Kent

green69rt

Just checked mine (pictures below.)  the socket was a bugger to get out of the housing.  Besides the corrosion it was really really tight so I  would guess you are ok.  Might want to put a socket against that flange and press it in with pliers of something.  

Edit: looked at your picture again, maybe  you can bevel the leading edge of yours to get it started.    :shruggy:

birdsandbees

Looks like that repro has a housing over top of the bulb holder housing! Does it come off and then the socket fits in the lamp base?
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

green69rt

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 30, 2020, 02:18:33 PM
Looks like that repro has a housing over top of the bulb holder housing! Does it come off and then the socket fits in the lamp base?

If you look closely at my old socket, you can see the double housing but... my outer housing is slotted and I would guess the slots would let the it compress to fit within the lens housing.

The OPs outer barrel is solid and would be a bear to compress.

birdsandbees

That's why I stated what I did. Yours has a bulb and it's slotted socket. His has a bulb, socket and then another casing around it. Does that outer casing come off and then does it fit the light housing?
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Nacho-RT74

origional socket is spring loaded on a thin metal secondary "casing" or cage. Hence the reason enters and keeps tight.

the repop seems to be just a bushing or filler
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Jonas_N

Everyone was right. The bulb housing could fit into the hole pretty tight, but with that extra bulb housing it was impossible.
Looking at green69rts pics there was no doubt that my bulb housings were correct.
So I drilled out the light housing to fit the extra bulb housing sleeve (It is soft aluminium so very easy to drill in.) and beveled the edge.
Then I bent the outer bulb housing tabs out and in again over a small pin to create the slotted effect.
Now the bulb housing can be pressed in all the way to the edge and it sits tight and snug.

That was a kit for $260 that instantly got to taste the drill.  :D

Thanks for the pics green69rt.  :cheers:

green69rt

Quote from: Jonas_N on May 01, 2020, 02:07:27 AM
Everyone was right. The bulb housing could fit into the hole pretty tight, but with that extra bulb housing it was impossible.
Looking at green69rts pics there was no doubt that my bulb housings were correct.
So I drilled out the light housing to fit the extra bulb housing sleeve (It is soft aluminium so very easy to drill in.) and beveled the edge.
Then I bent the outer bulb housing tabs out and in again over a small pin to create the slotted effect.
Now the bulb housing can be pressed in all the way to the edge and it sits tight and snug.

That was a kit for $260 that instantly got to taste the drill.  :D

Thanks for the pics green69rt.  :cheers:

Wow, that was considerable effort to make something work that should work from the start.  I hope you gave them a review of their product.

RTSE440

just purchased a set of oem brand the lenses don't even fit in the hood holes :brickwall:

Jonas_N

Quote from: RTSE440 on August 05, 2022, 11:28:37 PM
just purchased a set of oem brand the lenses don't even fit in the hood holes :brickwall:

And it was the correct lens for your car? For example 68 and 70 are different.

If it was, well.....repop parts are really going south now.

70 sublime

My 69 hood never had turn signals in it when I got it just the open holes

When I finally got around to getting a set for it they did not fit very well at all
My hole was too small
My buddy was here with his car that had open holes in it also and they fit in his hood just fine

So I squished my holes bigger to make the lens fit and all is good
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: RTSE440 on August 05, 2022, 11:28:37 PM

Pretty sure these were made bigger to fit a varying amount of opening tolerances (excess hood paint, poor hole stamping etc)   Just file them a bit to fit.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Jonas_N

The lens in my kit fit perfectly, no problem there.

RTSE440

absolute junk had to file down the housings as they wouldn't fit through the holes so then i started thinking the paint thickness was the issue but no not the problem .I eventually got the housings to fit in the hole after filing them down to find the new lenses don't fit either. Pulled out the original fade lenses out of storage slipped straight in perfect fit so now i've used the old lenses which i redied the amber color and the new housings .Another fantastic waste of money   

Jonas_N

Quote from: RTSE440 on August 10, 2022, 07:30:23 AM
absolute junk had to file down the housings as they wouldn't fit through the holes so then i started thinking the paint thickness was the issue but no not the problem .I eventually got the housings to fit in the hole after filing them down to find the new lenses don't fit either. Pulled out the original fade lenses out of storage slipped straight in perfect fit so now i've used the old lenses which i redied the amber color and the new housings .Another fantastic waste of money   

That sucks...

Yeah, new parts quality going south...or bad fitment.   Just had a brand new MSD coil die on me, 2 months old.

69hemibeep