News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it possible to change headlight switch without removing cluster?

Started by RSI700VIPER, May 20, 2020, 01:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSI700VIPER

I need to replace my brand new, "Chrysler Licensed" headlight vacuum switch.  The moment I first started the car, I could hear the vacuum sucking sound from behind the dash.  Moved switch is all positions but nothing.  Hoses are properly hooked up with correct metal manifold retainer.  I was warned not to but a repop switch but I figured if it was licensed by Chrysler, how bad could it be right?  Wrong  :down:   
Should have bought a decent used one.  Anyway, I took great paint to install the cluster without scratching anything and I don't want to do that again.  Is it possible to climb up under there and unbolt the switch from the back?
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

timmycharger

Ive done it, it sucks! If I remember correctly, I removed the AC vent and pushed the hose out of the way in order to get access.  I used a light, a small hand held welding mirror and a ratcheting screwdriver type tool. Huge pain in the ass since I am not 22 yrs old anymore and can't bend in ways I used to!!

comet_666

I don't have AC or a heater box or anything under my dash and it was still a massive pain in the ass.

70gtx440dana

Just lay flat on your back with a good light. You will see it. Disconnect vacuum and electrical connectors....then remove the two screws. You will be a bit sore when your done....but it is doable.
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

tan top

all what the other guys say !  :yesnod:

when i first got my charger ! doing stuff like that , was no biggie  up side down head resting on or by brake pedal legs over the driver seat  :P  , no problems bending etc  i was 18 years old then , it is a major PIA  doing anything like that with the cluster in place though  :yesnod:

IMO  would not do /  i can not  do it that way / that position now  :P ,
in fact ever since the nut & bolt rebuild , any time need to do stuff behind the  instrument cluster, i find it quicker easier to just take it out !  also i always remove seat & or  lower steering column first or remove it . find it much easier.  i once tried it the ole way i use to  when i was 18 ,  i got cramp in calf muscle , it was not good sight  :lol: :scared:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

birdsandbees

Find a petite 25 year old woman and offer to hold the light for her  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

moparchris

One thing that makes it easier on old backs is to remove the drivers bucket seat.  It does help the angle of your back and you don't have to worry about scratching the column or dash bezel. :Twocents:

RSI700VIPER

Good points, all  :cheers:  I'm 58 and flexibility is fair at best.  As for the aches and pain, Advil and a martini chaser will take care or that.  Yanking a seat is 4 bolts so that would definitely help with access.  From the feedback, it sounds like it can be done so I will give it a shot, but will wait until I have the replacement switch in hand.  That way I'm only up in there once.     
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

timmycharger

XH29N0G

Removing the seat is a good idea.  Last time I wedged myself under the dash I got stuck.  Yelled for help from my wife who was in some other part of the house out of earshot. None arrived.  So I had to figure out how to hoist my 53 y.o (at the time) body out without dislocating anything.  Next time I'll remove the seat or drop the dash with a towel on the column.   

I have been holding off on saying anything because I work with vacuum systems and giant sucking sounds are bad news.   :Twocents:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

469 runner

I had an original vacuum switch, but the reproduction headlight rocker switch was crap.  The arm to move the vacuum switch was not long enough.  Kept disengaging itself.  Why can't repro. stuff be done right?  Well, that is a topic in and of itself.  I have A/C also.  I wound up pulling the whole cluster out.  Took my time, wrapped the steering column, I think I lowered the column too, etc..  It worked out fine.  Not the easiest to do.