News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which power steering and hose?

Started by green69rt, May 25, 2020, 02:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Ready to install the PS pump so, questions.  Is this the Saginaw pump?  Looking at parts lists, there are 3 different ones described, Saginaw, Federal, Chrysler.  I assume that they may have different fittings and mountings. 

Next question is what length of pressure hose?  I see 36" 30" 28".  Probably more.  Is there a way of telling which one I need and where is that measurement made, end to end or just the rubber length?  Too many choices!

taxspeaker

Wish I could help but I have same problem. Any power steering pump/hose experts-mine is a 70 superbird with a Hemi. No idea of correct pump.
thanks

BLK 68 R/T

green69rt

Thanks for the leads folks.  Go it figured out.  Saginaw pump with a 36" hose.  Got a hose from O'Reilly Auto parts.  In stock and in my hands now.

Back to work.

b5blue

maxwellwedge

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 25, 2020, 08:21:40 PM
Wish I could help but I have same problem. Any power steering pump/hose experts-mine is a 70 superbird with a Hemi. No idea of correct pump.
thanks
Federal - with special pulley unique to Hemi. Special fitting on steering box, special hose - all are made of unobtanium ;)

taxspeaker

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 27, 2020, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: taxspeaker on May 25, 2020, 08:21:40 PM
thanks
Federal - with special pulley unique to Hemi. Special fitting on steering box, special hose - all are made of unobtanium ;)

Thanks-so that leads to www.powersteering.com rebuilding my existing sieve of a unit. Anyone ever used them before and have comments?

CDN72SE

In the middle of restoring my Saginaw pump as well. Bought a replacement hose but it doesn't match up to my OE hose.

Was told it will work but I haven't tries to hook everything up, in the meantime I am looking for an NOS hose.

1972 Charger SE

green69rt

Quote from: CDN72SE on May 29, 2020, 10:43:24 AM
In the middle of restoring my Saginaw pump as well. Bought a replacement hose but it doesn't match up to my OE hose.

Was told it will work but I haven't tries to hook everything up, in the meantime I am looking for an NOS hose.

My new hose looks like the one on the right.  It was for a Charger big block.  Your OE hose is definitely different.  What car/engine.  Does it have a PS fluid cooler?

green69rt

Quote from: CDN72SE on May 29, 2020, 10:43:24 AM

Your OE hose looks a  lot like this....  What kind of pump do you have?  I bet it's a Federal style pump, the hose you were sold is for a Saginaw pump.  Or I wonder if somebody installed the wrong hose in the past.  Something not matching here.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/charger/parts/80119m.html

CDN72SE

I do have a Saginaw, but the listing said 318-340-440, I thought that maybe the picture was just incorrect plus I got it from Richard Ehrenberg so I usually have no problem.

Yeah the one from Classis looks to be correct, thanks.

1972 Charger SE

Nacho-RT74

the diff between blocks for the Saginaw is just the deposit due the return fitting shape and lenght.

to the OP... yes, it looks to be Saginaw. One wat to difference it from the Federal is Saginaws gets both hoses attached to rear, while Federals get the pressure hose attached in front
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html