News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vacuum lines, does it go here?

Started by 68chargeruk, May 27, 2020, 11:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargeruk

Had a search and can't seem to find the answer I need.

This is our 1st Charger so really feeling our way in the dark and being in the UK doesn't help haha

We've hooked up the vacuum lines but have one dangling into nowhere, it seems to want to be attached to the little nubby bit in the photo, is that correct? (that nubby thing had a small piece of pipe on it with a fuse stuck in the end  :brickwall:)

To note this was/is a real basket case of a Charger that is slowly being brought back to life so apologies if this is a really stupid question

Thanks all

70 sublime

What is on the other end of your vacuum line ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

timmycharger

I believe that is the manifold vacuum line off the carb? see below

68chargeruk

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 27, 2020, 12:15:36 PM
What is on the other end of your vacuum line ?

It goes to the rest of the lines near the canister, we just don't know where that should end up, I'll get better pics 2moro when back at the unit

XH29N0G

It looks to me like you do not have the original carburetor on the engine. 

I think the next steps are probably tracing the various needs for vacuum and the various ports and working to understand where they go and what they do.  Different carburetors and manifolds will have different vacuum ports (for PVC, brakes, other things, to advance the distributor, etc...), and your set up will have different needs.  It is possible that the plugged line was not needed and instead of dealing with it in a clean way, the previous owner used a fuse.  I'll admit I have done that.....

I think your next set of pictures are likely to help diagnose what you have and need to do.  Also, since you are just starting out with this car, have you considered buying (or downloading) a copy of the factory service manual.  This can be a valuable resource for tracking down issues as you work on it.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....